EBR7C MOA or MRAD?

James K.

I have an opportunity to acquire a new optic for my Bergara Premier Ridgeback in .300 WM.
The Vortex Viper, PST Gen.II 5-25X50 FFP IR with the EBR7C reticle, hits all the boxes but I cant decide if i want to stick with MOA or try something new with MRAD. (all my other optics are MOA)
Yes, it is more of a PRS style reticle, but I would also like to hunt elk with it as well.....is this a realistic expectation?
I don't get a chance for a new optic like this very often & need to get it right the first time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you so much!!
1705942022176.png

Honestly, it's whatever you feel the most comfortable with and how/where you plan to use it.

If you're going to do PRS competitions, then MIL is probably the way to go since that's what most other people will be using. Dialing will be faster and if you are sharing information, then you're all talking the same language.

If it's just you, then use whatever. MOA clicks will actually give you finer adjustments.

People keep saying MOA is going away... but why would it? It has advantages over MIL

I will say though, that MIL seems to be easier to sell.

MOA is here to stay just like the 30-06, repeats of other cartridges have not replaced it. Same for scopes facts are there are more MOA or inch scopes in SFT in use and sold than Mil in both SFP and FFP. I choose to not learn a different method since I understand what an inch or different measurements are and how they work. Edit......my PST II on a practice LR gun is perfect with great glass and tracks like a train.

I have an opportunity to acquire a new optic for my Bergara Premier Ridgeback in .300 WM.
The Vortex Viper, PST Gen.II 5-25X50 FFP IR with the EBR7C reticle, hits all the boxes but I cant decide if i want to stick with MOA or try something new with MRAD. (all my other optics are MOA)
Yes, it is more of a PRS style reticle, but I would also like to hunt elk with it as well.....is this a realistic expectation?
I don't get a chance for a new optic like this very often & need to get it right the first time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you so much!!
View attachment 535765
James I have several scopes with the EBR7C reticle. I really like it and its pretty fast to make follow up shots and to use the holdovers. My one complaint when using for hunting elk is that it blends in the evening in brushy areas or just shaded areas that I really struggle to see my aiming point on anything less than 25 power. YMMV. As for the mil system, its a base 10 math so its easier for most. But the old MOA saying its more accurate because it adjusts to a finer degree is a bit of a stretch. .25 MOA per click vs .36 . Not many can shoot that difference.

Thank you so much for all of your interesting points.....seeing as the Ridgeback is more of a PRS style because it is so heavy,(13lb) at this point i am slightly more inclined to go with MRAD.......however its not set in stone yet either, lol. Will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated. :)

you just have to pick what you want to use , if you always shoot alone and all you have or have known is moa
then you should stay there , if you shoot with others that use Mils then one of you will have to be the math
keeper on call outs , for myself i switched over to mils about 10 yrs ago and all of my friend shoots mils aswell
when a call is made while looking through a scope on trace and reading the hit it's easier in mils .
that PST you listed above i have 2 of them they are good to go with , i like having 10 mils to
work with on the dial .

It doesn't matter. They're just different rulers for the same measurement. People will give all kinds of reasons to pick one over the other, but at the end of the day the one you're most comfortable and proficient with is the better choice. I sold my MOA scopes to try MIL for a season my third or fourth year of PRS, decided I like MOA better, and sold the MIL scopes to buy back the MOA scopes I had a year before.

One common argument is that MIL works better with metric lengths and MOA works better with imperial lengths. The sooner you give up on the idea that one's imperial and ones metric or thinking about either in terms of x cm/in per y m/yd the sooner they'll actually start to make sense.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. They're just different rulers for the same measurement. People will give all kinds of reasons to pick one over the other, but at the end of the day the one you're most comfortable and proficient with is the better choice. I sold my MOA scopes to try MIL for a season my third or fourth year of PRS, decided I like MOA better, and sold the MIL scopes to buy back the MOA scopes I had a year before.

One common argument is that MIL works better with metric lengths and MOA works better with imperial lengths. The sooner you give up on the idea that one's imperial and ones metric or thinking about either in terms of x cm/in per y m/yd the sooner they'll actually start to make sense.
This ^

It's not a metric or imperial thing. Though mils has a base 10 system that tends to make certain calculations easier. This is especially true if you have any special training, and know how to do quick wind (mph) in your head.

Other than that, if you miss by .2 mils, you miss by .2 mils. You don't need to know the inch conversion.

If you need to dial 10.3 mils, then dial 10.3 mils…you don't need to know the inch drop…

If you're using the reticle for ranging…that's weird. While an old legacy military skill is nice to know, a good rangefinder is the way to go.

The same is true with moa. 4 moa is 4 moa. The end. You can go and make it as complicated as you want, but that's all any one needs to know to make hits.

As far as adjustments being finer…it's true, but does it matter? There will be rounding errors in all dope, and all dope will need to be tried out, especially the closer to subsonic you get. You can make a 2 mile shot with either system. The scope model is more indicative, if you have enough adjustments in the erector and how accurate the adjustment is.

Wife and I both have the 3-15x version of that scope (with the MOA reticle) on our hunting rifles, very happy with them for the money.

Not a dig on anyone, but lots of people say go with mils if you're going to shoot PRS/ NRL because that's what everyone else uses, but no one is allowed to help you or call corrections while you're shooting, so for me, that's not a reason I'd switch.

And I'm a construction guy, so my brain is calibrated to MOA and inches. I know 1 MOA isn't exactly 1 inch, but I also have scopes in IPHY/ SMOA, so they do correspond exactly to inches.

Wife and I both have the 3-15x version of that scope (with the MOA reticle) on our hunting rifles, very happy with them for the money.

Not a dig on anyone, but lots of people say go with mils if you're going to shoot PRS/ NRL because that's what everyone else uses, but no one is allowed to help you or call corrections while you're shooting, so for me, that's not a reason I'd switch.

And I'm a construction guy, so my brain is calibrated to MOA and inches. I know 1 MOA isn't exactly 1 inch, but I also have scopes in IPHY/ SMOA, so they do correspond exactly to inches.
It's true, in national matches you can call correction. However, a lot of teams including ours share wind calls. Some of the less experienced guys share that wind in mils, or moa. It's easy to convert mils to moa, but if you do it in mph, then that's a conversation you don't want to be doing in match. Matches aren't the time to do math imo.

MOA is going away, I wish I bought my last few scopes in MiL. But I didn't and I regret it
NOT True!
Should not make statements like this unless you have proven data.
Are you shooting Competition or Military Matches? then MIL is most likely the choice of Scope.
Hunters/some target shooters may have a different opinion.
MOA & MIL on Scopes may be a personal preference from the shooter and I am not making statement but what the market sales show.