MRAD vs MOA

I would say use what ever you are comfortable with. Army snipers have been using the mil reticle/m.o.a adjust for some time with great success. USMC uses mil/mil SB PM II and it is a awesome scope, the mil/mil just seems easier. To me a FFP reticle is more of a issue with a mil dot scope than it's method of adjustment. If you feel like spending the money you cant go wrong with the SB PMII

Last edited:
I guess I do not understand FFP reticles I think. What are the issues that you see in using that type of reticle? The vortex viper pst rifle scopes are very resonable I believe $849 for the mrad reticle and the same for the moa reticle. What is a FFP reticle and what are the benifits and disadvantages?

Darrin

First and second focal plane differences is all about the value of the space between reticle hash marks in variable power scopes.

If you use the reticle hash marks for aim adjustment or ranging the difference is that in the first focal plane variable scope the distance between hash marks has the same value at any power setting, e.g. 1/4 moa is always 1/4 moa. Whereas in the SFP variable scope the hash mark designations are valid only at a SPECIFIED SETTING, e.g. 15X in a NXS 3.5-15X

Bottom line: yes, the FFP scope is easier to use, but the reticle changes size through the power range.

Last edited:
With a ffp your mil dot scale stays accurate regardless of what power you put on your scope. In a enviroment where there could be multiple targets at various ranges is where the ffp pays off. You dont have to dial on your range, you just use the correct hold for that range and fire. If you get a mildot scope and you plan on shooting on anything less than max power and using holds I would get a ffp scope.

.At 500 yds , wouldn't you be 18" ?

Yes--18 total inches at 500 yds., but it's referred to as 3.6 INCH PER HUNDRED YDS. (IPHY), or 3.4 MOA. So 5x3.6=18", and 5x3.4x1.047=18"

IPHY, MOA, minute, SMOA, Shooter's minute of angle, and milliradian, mrad, mil., etc. is the lingo u sorta' have to get to know when talking long-range. As u gain more experience with it, u'll see how these angular systems of reference fit in/together.

What we all over look is - don't worry about what is the latest, greatest. Just go out and shoot your weapon and learn as much as possible about it. FEAR THE MAN THAT HAS BUT ONE GUN , FOR HE KNOWS HOW TO USE IT. lightbulb

2nd focal plane ranging can be done this way but you need to know your subtensions of the reticle. I'll use the Nikon 4-14 Monarch for I use that on my song dog gun. The reticle subtends 18.81 at 4x between the heavy duplex wires at 100yds. That means from the center it is 9.405 at 4x at 100yds to any heavy post. A coyote is about 10" from back to the bottom of chest where I hunt. If I have a dog out a ways I dial in the power ring. say at 8x the dog fits my center wire to heavy post. That should be 400. Because they run big I add 25yds and hold center. If it's between the powers say 8.5x add accordingly.
A mil dot in 2nd plane will will be set at 1 power check the directions with that scope then shoot at 100yds to confirm it.
A FFP scale never changes with the power setting The cross hair and scale whatever it is, is always the same size in relation to the object being measured with the scale. Either Mils or MOA you have to have a drop chart with the same language. If you have a mil-dot reticle and MOA turrets you need a MOA drop chart. If you have Mrad turrets you need to have your dope in Mrads unless you want to practice your math skills every time you shoot UKD.
I prefer mills but I cannot afford the FFP glass. I have learned 2nd plane reticle ranging for my application but it is rough by comparison to a good ffp system imho

I believe your on the right track . One should not think that a SFP system is inferior . Learn to use it as your doing . You know a coyote is 18 inches , you need 9 inches windage . Ditto.

I have a moa scope right now. However it is not as effective as I would like it to be. It is a bushnell sportsman 4-12 that just came on the rifle I just bought. I understand completly It is a moa scope I understand that adjustment and I have come and taught my self the mill equation for range estimation. I like the fact that if my range finder goes down in the field I can still range a target and my a successful shot. I don't know if there is an equation that will allow someone to estimate range with a moa style reticle?

Darrin

The Horus system is set up in unsmc mills. So we are able to range with these scopes using this formula.

height of target / # of mills * 100 = target yrds

this is why I brought up the question mrad vs moa. Sweet scope for sure

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.