Bullet Construction vs Lethality

I'd like to see those placed at the average location under the skin. That way if/ once expansion of the nose section occurs we can measure petals sluffing off and possible deflection of rear core path.
It would be a cool thing to do. Get a collection going amongst forum members of all the scapulas from animals harvested each year. Send them to whoever does the testing, and they can be used for things just like you and @memtb are talking about.

I know of at least one other person that's done similar tests at closer range at least.

Hey Gang,

Looks like most folks have their idea of what generates lethality in a bullet. That is great and if you are having success with what you are shooting, by all means you should continue shooting that bullet. No ones mind will ever be changed by this back and forth banter, bt the subject always makes for good converstion. I wish all of you the best and good hunting!

Cheers!

Taj

Attachments

• African Buffalo Hunt 037.jpg
    African Buffalo Hunt 037.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 69
Here's a scapula of an elk and a white tail side by side. Take it for what you will. Maybe it's worth nothing 🤷🏼‍♂️. That's ok.

It's amazing arrows and spears get through those things…

View attachment 489776View attachment 489777

Spears and arrows can and will penetrate much deeper in snadbags that most anything with shoot if we're using expanding bullets!

But I get what your saying! 👍 memtb

Was guiding/helping on a trophy bull hunt in unit 9 AZ in 2018. Called a bull into 24 yards opening morning. Watched a arrow barely penetrate the shoulder area on a dead broadside shot, (poor shot). Bull took off and after 4-5 running steps arrow was out. After examining arrow it was determined it penetrated maybe 3". Tip of the arrow looked like it hit a piece of concrete. Bow was a 70lb draw weight Bowtech. I've seen them blow through deer shoulders. Crazy how tough those are.

One of those fancy, high tech (improved 🤣) mechanical broad heads or the tried and proven, old school fixed broad heads (aka the old Bear with razor inserts)!

Much like my rifle/handgun calibers/bullets …..I'm pretty old school!

My philosophy, which has served me well….."if it ain't broke don't fix it! 😉 memtb

Hey Gang,

Looks like most folks have their idea of what generates lethality in a bullet. That is great and if you are having success with what you are shooting, by all means you should continue shooting that bullet. No ones mind will ever be changed by this back and forth banter, bt the subject always makes for good converstion. I wish all of you the best and good hunting!

Cheers!

Taj
Same to you!

Hey Gang,

Cheers!

Taj
Beautiful buffalo! What load did you use for that one?

One of those fancy, high tech (improved 🤣) mechanical broad heads or the tried and proven, old school fixed broad heads (aka the old Bear with razor inserts)!

Much like my rifle/handgun calibers/bullets …..I'm pretty old school!

My philosophy, which has served me well….."if it ain't broke don't fix it! 😉 memtb
Fixed blade with bleeders old school 100 Grain Stinger. Second time though I've seen a archery shoulder shot fail on a elk. Also in 2015.

Sorry, don't want to derail and get off topic.

M
Hey Gang,

Cheers!

Taj
Same to you!
X2!

@Taj you need 1 or 2 more to send/receive PMs. 😎

Last edited: