Brake for Lightweight 338 Lapua Improved

comparing the brakes I've run on 338 Lapua sized cases, the SRS style has a large blast associated with higher levels of recoil reduction. The Muscle brake has far less blast because of the smaller ports, less port angle, etc. There is a lot of gas on those bigger cases so a blast is part of the ride. My preference for shootablity on a Lapua sized case is a brake. I'd like to try a dedicated 338 can, as I would expect the larger size would help out a bit more than an Omega 36 sized can.

I run an Omega 36 on a 12 lb 338 NM and the recoil is ok. I wouldn't want to do a 50 round range session with it but it's great for hunting. I've run a 4 port muscle brake on it and could shoot it all day. The 3 port ASR brake is no-go on that big of gun. The recoil impulse with the can is much longer than typical magnums.

I have a 6.75 lb 338 NM with a 5 port 1" diam SRS TI break and it tames it right down. I would feel comfortable running a 4 port on it, or going with a smaller diameter. It has an Airtech recoil pad on it which really helps. Great combo and much more packable than a 12 lb rig.
Agreed. The five ports are where it's at. The 36M has a long push that is hard to keep on target. The brakes are great, one fast push and it's over. For a longer barrel and wide open shots I would go with just the brake. I am in the woods where setting up with ear pro just isn't as feasible.

Can you say more about that? I am trying to get a better sense of what the recoil is like with a can on a lightweight magnum build. I would love to hear more about your experience.

Thanks for the reply.
Let me preface that my experience with suppressors on magnums has been with shorter carbon barrels. The only way I think I can describe the recoil impulse on a suppressed magnum with a short barrel is that it feels more springy and less controllable as compared to the longer barrels with brakes like I mentioned above. Now maybe someone with experience shooting a suppressed long barrel can offer some of their findings but that's not why I built my suppressed rifles. I didn't want them ultra long. As far as shootability and controlled recoil, I found the braked scenario easier to manage. Anymore my shooting techniques have got me exerting more control over my rifles when I shoot them then I used to years ago. Especially with magnums or lightweight rifles. I no longer get willy-nilly behind the gun. I am exercising deliberate control as best as I can all the way through the shot process. This is another interesting topic of discussion with varying ideas and opinions and I'm always learning new things.

Well I can whole heartedly recommend the SRS TiPro5 on your big 338. I recently bought a Weatherby 338-378 and put the TiPro5 on her and have zero issues with a range session. Recoil is not even a thought with this brake. I love this brake absolutely love it. I have the TiPro4 on my 6.5x300 bee and it's just incredible.
Put a Terminator T3 on my 30-06 AI and it's crazy good. Highly recommend both the SRS TiPro5 and the Terminator's too.

Ryan at Piercision makes fantastic brakes, they do a good job with recoil but what makes them superb is how much less concussion there is for the shooter. It makes for a lot better shooting session. They are also really good shooting prone, they don't cover you with dirt and leaves and all of that. I think there are brakes that take a little more recoil out but the concussion on every one that I can think of is bad.

Recent Posts