Which powder for 338 lapua improved?

****! 200fps faster is significant. Have you tested that r33 in different temperature extremes?
****! My sentiments exactly!
I live in Alaska so my testing has been around high 30s to mid 60s. I haven't noticed any fluctuation because of temperature.

Tom

I've mostly used H1000 and 285 ELD-m's in my 338 Edge. Very accurate powder/combo
But with RE33, I'm getting pretty high ES's sometimes.
I think I might be under pressured or maybe the 285s are too light for RE33.
Not sure about the weight of the bullet if that makes a difference or not, I do believe that most guys are saying that they like the bullet close to the lands when using Rl33, I'm about .05 off.

Tom

I need to do some powder temp testing . I haven't had any problems using my G7BR2 rangefinder and RL33 , they seem to match up at different temps .

do you have an idea of the case capacity on the improved ? or if you would let me know after you figure it out , I'd appreciate it . thanks Jim
I have a standard edge and I'm crushing 108 grains of powder. The throat on my rifle is close, OAL with the 300 grn bergers to the lands is 2.830 so I'm pushing the bullet into the case a bit over 1/8" or so, it's been awhile since I've looked at my figures. I believe that you can put 109 to the bottom of the neck in Rem brass.

Tom

Last edited:
My 27 1/2" barreled .338 Edge with 285 ELD-M's are 3.033" to the lands, and I can't find the exact grains of powder load in my data sheets. I want to say it was 97 grains of RL-33.

My loads with VV570 with 300 OTMs were a little crazy with the ES's as well.
93 grains: 2821, 2795, 2794
94grains: 2848, 2828, 2866 (but it was literally a one hole group...?)
95 grains:2915, ---, 2910
96 grains: 2941, 2925, 2918

285 ELD-M with VV570
96 grains, 2931, 2913, 2898

All on Magnetospeed V3

Last edited:
I use RL33 in my 338 Lapua , mine is not improved . 116 gr case capacity , 300 gr Berger E hunters , a 30" bbl , 2930 FPS .
I've been under the impression that the edge capacity is a bit more than the lapua, not sure though? The most Rl33 I've been able to get into a Rem case is 109 grns which comes up to the bottom of the neck.

Tom

Standard EDGE h20 capacity with Rem Brass is around 116 and is more than standard Lapua case

Improved Lapua case can have more h20 capacity than the imp EDGE case

My Improved EDGE has a fired case cap. of 119grs of h20 with Rem Brass. That's with taper taken out, shoulder pushed forward at 40 deg.

The IMP Lapua will hold 118-125gr h20 depending on the design.

They are both going to run 300s well at around 2950fps in 30in bbls.

Standard EDGE h20 capacity with Rem Brass is around 116 and is more than standard Lapua case

Improved Lapua case can have more h20 capacity than the imp EDGE case

My Improved EDGE has a fired case cap. of 119grs of h20 with Rem Brass. That's with taper taken out, shoulder pushed forward at 40 deg.

The IMP Lapua will hold 118-125gr h20 depending on the design.

They are both going to run 300s well at around 2950fps in 30in bbls.
I've got some questions I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with...

Based on much of what I have read in most blogs My rifle seems to be exceptionally fast for a 28 inch barrel, even if it is a Bartlien barrel. I'm using 108 grns of Rl33 and pushing 300 grain otms' at just over 3000 fps. Originally I was using 106.5 grns to get this speed, I had to bump up the powder charge to 108 after using HBN coating on my bullets to get back the same pressure, speed.
The throat on my rifle is close, using the 300 otms my OAL is 3.830 to the lands or 3.080 to the ogive, that means I have to push the bullet into the case 0.8

Question: am I getting this kind of speed because of the short amount of space in the case. My understanding is that most guys are trying to extend the bullet as far out of the case as possible to get a larger amount of powder hoping for better speed?

Thank you,
Tom

Quickloads says you're getting that kind of speed out of a 28" barrel, because your 3.830 COAL load of 108 grains of Reloder 33 and a 300 OTM is at ~ 82,424 psi.

Max pressure for a 338 Edge is 63817 psi

You might want to back her down a little...just sayin' :)

Quickloads says you're getting that kind of speed out of a 28" barrel, because your 3.830 COAL load of 108 grains of Reloder 33 and a 300 OTM is at ~ 82,424 psi.

Max pressure for a 338 Edge is 63817 psi

You might want to back her down a little...just sayin' :)

WOW! I'm not familiar with Quickloads... I've sent at least 200 rounds down the tube with that load and everything seems to be good, Very little sign of pressure. When I first began testing this rifle I used up to 92 grns of H1000 and was getting 2800 fps and was pounding the brass.

Thank you for your help!
Tom

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of a fired piece of brass from the back with case head and primer?

There are fast barrels but that seems way to fast for a standard Edge. When I pressure tested RL-33 108 grs produced 3035fps. Bertram brass 80* 4.105" oal around .040" off the lands 30" Bbl. At 107grs there was a very slight ejector mark and at 108 it was a shiny ejector mark. No primer flattening with the Bertram but in in Rem brass both charges had flattened primers brass flow in the ejector showed the same as Bertram.

The reduced amount of space in your case with the shorter throat means you have less capacity to work with which in most situations means less velocity.

Guys like my self seating bullets way out there do this to get the bullet up out of the case more. That way you can get more powder in the case. More powder and a longer throat will yield more velocity without running into pressure issues that you would have normally seen by now in your case.

Last edited:
I've got some questions I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with...

Based on much of what I have read in most blogs My rifle seems to be exceptionally fast for a 28 inch barrel, even if it is a Bartlien barrel. I'm using 108 grns of Rl33 and pushing 300 grain otms' at just over 3000 fps. Originally I was using 106.5 grns to get this speed, I had to bump up the powder charge to 108 after using HBN coating on my bullets to get back the same pressure, speed.
The throat on my rifle is close, using the 300 otms my OAL is 3.830 to the lands or 3.080 to the ogive, that means I have to push the bullet into the case 0.8

Question: am I getting this kind of speed because of the short amount of space in the case. My understanding is that most guys are trying to extend the bullet as far out of the case as possible to get a larger amount of powder hoping for better speed?

Thank you,
Tom

When ever i see people loading edge this high. I have to wonder if they have double checked their scale with weights or against another scale?

Your OAL is really short for edge to boot, even with a drop tube im dubious that 106 grains would fit under a 300otm at that oal, or that it would be a safe load to shoot.

Ca48,
I Can't send any photos, sold all my three times fired brass at the end of the summer. I would get fairly flat primers and an occasional light shiny ejector mark, no sticky bolt lift.

Making the throat longer, extending the OAL and adding more powder should create equivalent pressures?
This is why I've asked the question, am I getting the same fps/pressure with a smaller case capacity than a load with more space and powder?

Wboregon,
I have checked both my electric and balance beam scales with weights, Too much powder to be guessing.
Also I have loaded up to 109 grns in a Rem case and it works, bit of a crush.

Happy Easter guys,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.