Best piece of reloading of equipment u have

Back in 1962 I began with a Lyman Tong tool, Oil damped Redding 500g scale (handled powder with a teaspoon), Guns plastic funnel, and a Wilson case debut/reamer. I still use the scale, funnel and reamer. Now an RCBS press and a stack of dies (Redding dies are my favorite), but never got as far as bushings and micrometer seating equipment. I have a good Starrett micrometer and vernier caliper. Buy good tools and they will be good long after we are gone.

Many have mentioned chronograph and I totally forgot to mention that also. So perfect example and I see it at the range all the time with people doing load work. The group below is out of a 300 Norma. Don't get me wrong it's a good group that was shot doing load work up. Guy at the range with me said lucky u man, looks like u are all done there it is! Disappointed me said absolutely not it had a ES of 38 lol I would never shoot that. He was in awe like I was stupid! Without a chrono I would have for sure picked that load and then been like wondering what is going on when my vertical at 1k was all over the place!
283A44A0-B5B1-41DE-B6E7-2703D880F1F2.jpeg

Careful observation , Doing my best not to influence expected results of testing, Research from long rang muzzle loading rifle shooters, Putting a large muslin in front of shooting position to catch residue from a shot.
* Knowing what burned, fowling, any shavings (bullet/brass)
**Combustion consistency is a huge part of reloading to me. I find, many times the most complete burn nor the fasted (for combination) are the most accurate.
I learned from a few old [now dead] men who shot .32 -.36 lead cast bullets knocking down steel with peep sight heavy barrel muzzle loaders 500 and 600 yards.

Us dedicated reloaders that have been reloading for a good many years have been through some equipment, or atleast I have. Things that work, things that don't and if u are like me u have wasted plenty of money experimenting finding that perfect process. If u look at all the equipment u currently have or have had what is the best piece of equipment that has really improved the quality and accuracy of your reloads? Pay attention new guys that are starting out maybe u can save yourself some money!
I've been loading for about 50 yrs and I gotta say I learned a few things from this question. THANKS Remy! Now i gotta go buy some more stuff.

Basic press and tools will get you accurate. If you want bench rest accuracy you will need to spend much more on equipment and rifles....4 to 5 times more for thousands of an inch in accuracy improvement. For hunting/long range one inch at 100 yards is good to 800 yards on big game. Will cost you much more to get the groups tighter than 3/4 inch in most cases. Your call......

My real Oh moment was the day I quit using expander buttons in my dies and started running Sinclair expander mandrels. Those once in a while flyers disappeared and and my SDs stay very consistent and low single digits. One of the biggest battles in reloading is controlling neck tension and this mandrel setup along with annealing did it for me. It's all puzzle pieces that fit together but with proper load work up controlling neck tension and very consistent way to meter and measure your charges u got it in the bag.
Will these man reps work with my existing Redding dies?

No one thing but here is my take.
Aside from my press (first Rockchuker and now CO-AX added) I would say that what has improved my reloading the most is my dies, I use mostly Forster/Bonanza BR dies and Redding Competition seaters when in calibers I cannot get from Bonanza, I prefer Bonanza/Forster sizing dies overall regardless.
Finally technique has been what has improved my reloading over time.
BB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.