Best pack for mountain hunting

For ultra light and archery moving on elk I use my Kuiu ultra1800. Spring bear and fall exo 2000.Lid if I need a bit more.My fall every day exo 2000 no lid

Man, I love my Mystery Ranch sawtooth for day and overnight hunts and my beartooth for long weekends.
I use the same frame and swap bags. I've packed out three bear, three mule deer, and four blacktails so far and other than some light staining it's still in excellent condition. Which is saying a lot since it rides around in the bed if my truck, and tossed all around the garage. It's surprisingly tough!

They do lack some pockets but i prefer pouches to make "kits" that are different colors for easy sorting.

I had a Kuiu that I really liked especially the hip belt. But as much as I tried to use it-it killed my lower back. even empty carrying it hurt. so I ended up selling it and moving to a MR Sawtooth, no back issues with the Sawtooth.
If you can, try them on in a store with some weight to see which feels best for you.

I have the kuiu pro 2300 I bought when they had a sale for 40% off, kinda wish I would've bought the exo mountain pack. The kuiu bag doesn't have a spotting scope pocket and it doesn't have locking buckles like the exo but I'm going to buy the locking buckles from exo they sell them for 1.99

I can speak to MR, Exo, and Kifaru. I have different reasons to like each one.

The mystery ranch (especially for the guys utilizing the Mil discount) are hard to beat. Definitely bomb proof. The new guide lite MT frames are solid. The sawtooth may be my favorite bag layout of all time. However, didn't handle heavy weight as well as my exo or kifaru. For everyday running around and not having 75+lbs on your back…great pack. I just couldn't seem to keep it from slipping down my hips. Note, can't remember the name but someone makes a lumbar attachment pad that may help lock it in. Sounds like it has helped some folks with slippage.

Like a lot people have/will say, though, packs are so dependent on the person wearing them it's hard to make recommendations. My exo and kifaru were 50/50 for me. If I was carrying a stupid amount of weight all the time, I know that kifaru would handle it, and I wouldn't be miserable under the load. They just carry heavy stuff really well. Always locked in and felt like the load was distributed how it should be. Obviously make some really quality frame and packs and have more than enough options to fit anyone's needs.

However, found myself carrying my exo k2 more than anything. Maybe it's just because I've got more miles on it and it's broken in but I like that the belt isn't ultra stiff but still holds well. When you don't have a bunch of weight on your back and you're running around in day mode, the exo seems a lot more flexible. Easier to move around without feeling restricted if that makes sense. I found myself gravitating towards it for all my deer hunting at home in New England for those reasons so now it's a do all pack.

Depending on the fir and your body type, I think they all make a fantastic pack. If money is a concern and you use thing once a year if you go out west, probably find yourself a cheaper MR.

If you have some extra bucks to spend, see if you can't get some time behind kifaru, exo, or sg. Great thing about picking them up used in the classifieds is there is a lot of guys out there doing the same thing. Shuffling through them until they find the right fit. Typically don't take long to sell.

Good luck on your hunt!

In terms of quality, the Eberlestocks are the nicest packs. They ooze craftsmanship and ruggedness, not a stray string, everything wraps up efficiently, they are just the best and I've owned countless quality brands. All that said, as noted by a number of posters, Eberlestock packs are relatively heavy, and that can be a tremendous downside depending on the application.

In terms of quality, the Eberlestocks are the nicest packs. They ooze craftsmanship and ruggedness, not a stray string, everything wraps up efficiently, they are just the best and I've owned countless quality brands. All that said, as noted by a number of posters, Eberlestock packs are relatively heavy, and that can be a tremendous downside depending on the application.
They have put out the vapor series that is lightweight

I have a couple Kuiu packs that I really like. just bought the new exo K4 and will be using it in October on a Colorado elk hunt. I have wore it on a couple walks and so far like better then kuiu. It seems to fit my much better, and the pack constructions seems much better.

I have a couple Kuiu packs that I really like. just bought the new exo K4 and will be using it in October on a Colorado elk hunt. I have wore it on a couple walks and so far like better then kuiu. It seems to fit my much better, and the pack constructions seems much better.
K4 I think is the best pack system I've used to date.