Any Model 70 love out there?

I have two model 70s left a 416 win mag express rifle and a so called stainless 70 in 338 win mag with a boss that was a real stinker .The 416 rem mag did vlow off a small piece of the bolt when i first shot it .Winchester refused to replace the bolt and said there would be no problems with it .The 338 win mag stainless was about the worse made factory made rifle i ever had .The stainless coating rusted in the gun case and flaked off .The magazine would blow open when you shot it .The magazine would not feed .I had winchester send parts to alaska they replaced the whole tigger guard and magazine assembly I still didnt trust that rifle .I loaned it to a friend who shot 7 moose in 7 years with it .I did like the boss system it kicked like a 270 not a 338 win mag .My buddy also shot a charging grizzley with it that attacked him on his 4 wheeker .It only had one eye they had to shoot it 7 times .

I have two model 70s left a 416 win mag express rifle and a so called stainless 70 in 338 win mag with a boss that was a real stinker .The 416 rem mag did vlow off a small piece of the bolt when i first shot it .Winchester refused to replace the bolt and said there would be no problems with it .The 338 win mag stainless was about the worse made factory made rifle i ever had .The stainless coating rusted in the gun case and flaked off .The magazine would blow open when you shot it .The magazine would not feed .I had winchester send parts to alaska they replaced the whole tigger guard and magazine assembly I still didnt trust that rifle .I loaned it to a friend who shot 7 moose in 7 years with it .I did like the boss system it kicked like a 270 not a 338 win mag .My buddy also shot a charging grizzley with it that attacked him on his 4 wheeker .It only had one eye they had to shoot it 7 times .
****, sorry to hear that. I have that 338WM classic stainless BOSS. Mine is great and O also Bought the BOSS CR when I have people around

I have 3 Model 70s……all FN models…..264WM, 270 Win, and 375 HH and I'm looking for discontinued Stainless Super Grades and Featherweights! I traded a 1951 model 70 in 30-06 in1970 for an L61R Sako 7RM and have regretted it ever since…..didn't have a clue what I was doing! But I've killed a ton of deer with the old Sako….its been a Great Rifle…..I love the old Sakos and have quite a few and I'm always looking to buy more when the right deal comes along! I love the old classic wood stocked rifles…..years ago I replaced many with synthetic stocks that I used for guiding and threw all the wood stocks away(don't ask me why) and have spent the last few years searching for and putting wood back on them! Call it Nostalgia!! 🤷
I wanna cry....😪

.The stainless coating rusted in the gun case and flaked off .
dgr,
FYI, stainless is not a coating, it is the steel the gun is made of. If something flaked off, it was not the stainless. SS is SS all the way through and is not a coating. That being said most stainless alloys used in firearms manufacturing still has a goodly amount of carbon in it so is not completely rust free.. It has to be in the mix for strength/heat treating purposes. It still has to have some care and maintenance to keep it from corroding. Stick a magnet to it and you will see. Pure stainless is non magnetic. It is tough but not usually very hard which makes it hard to machine. Colt SS guns had to go through an additional 6 heat treat and annealing processes so they could be machined. This is a basic principle but you get the idea. I remember when S&W first came out with SS revolvers. We had motor cops that worked the coastal areas think they no longer had to take care of their revolvers because they wouldn't be affected by the salt air. Wrong Kemosabe. There were dozens of rusted model 66s sent back to the factory with some very nasty letters.

My pre-'64 Win 70 chambered in 300 Wb Mag. It has a 26" SS Ace barrel with a Fat Bastard brake and a Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS scope. The target was shot today using Barnes 150 TTSX bullets with a muzzle velocity near 3580 fps (very near max pressure using MagPro powder). I love the rifle. I have owned it for about 35 years and have taken many animals with it. It is now sporting its 3rd barrel (one 300H&H and now a second 300 Wby Mag).

Attachments

• Win70_26ACCE_FATBASTARD.jpg
    Win70_26ACCE_FATBASTARD.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 300WBY_9405MP150TTSX.jpg
    300WBY_9405MP150TTSX.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 41
Curious for those who have built customs with a model 70. Has anyone built a lightish, sub 7lb, rifle using a crf action? I have a model 70 300wsm I like just curious what steps others have taken to lighten it up a bit. Not ultra light but light enough for long days afield.

Curious for those who have built customs with a model 70. Has anyone built a lightish, sub 7lb, rifle using a crf action? I have a model 70 300wsm I like just curious what steps others have taken to lighten it up a bit. Not ultra light but light enough for long days afield.
Yes, I have. Pics of some of the work below. Match Grade Arms skeletonized my action, 22" proof sendero, SRS titanium 2 port break, McMillan carbo fiber stock, Murphy Percision titanium pic rail. It's a long action in 300 PRC, comes in at a shade under 7 pounds. I strap two pounds plus of scope and rings on it and kind of defeat the purpose, but I like the rock solid reliability. My hunting partner runs the short action crf in 7 SAUM, similar action work, same barrel, and a Leupold vx5 3-15x42, he's right at 7lbs 6ozs.

Attachments

• IMG_5778.jpeg
    IMG_5778.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5779.jpeg
    IMG_5779.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5781.jpeg
    IMG_5781.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5782.jpeg
    IMG_5782.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 43
Yes, I have. Pics of some of the work below. Match Grade Arms skeletonized my action, 22" proof sendero, SRS titanium 2 port break, McMillan carbo fiber stock, Murphy Percision titanium pic rail. It's a long action in 300 PRC, comes in at a shade under 7 pounds. I strap two pounds plus of scope and rings on it and kind of defeat the purpose, but I like the rock solid reliability. My hunting partner runs the short action crf in 7 SAUM, similar action work, same barrel, and a Leupold vx5 3-15x42, he's right at 7lbs 6ozs.
Do you feel skeletonizing the action made any compromise to the robustness of the action. It's kind of a catch 22 to take such a robust action and lighten it up. It looks sweet and what i was aiming for but just curious if there are structural drawbacks to it.

Do you feel skeletonizing the action made any compromise to the robustness of the action. It's kind of a catch 22 to take such a robust action and lighten it up. It looks sweet and what i was aiming for but just curious if there are structural drawbacks to it.
Honestly all I have to go on is the rifles history and accuracy. I've had the rifle since I purchased it new over 30 years ago, and I had it skeletonized brand new. Since then it's been a 7mm STW , until gross overloads of retumbo burned out the barrel, then a 375 WBY for near 1000 rounds (24" fluted barrel no break, actually lost a tooth to that setup), then a 340 WBY, a 28 Nosler, and now a 300 PRC. Every caliber except the 375 WBY produced 1/2 or a little better groups. The 375 would do 1/4" with 300 grain Barnes x bullets, and put 2 x's and a sledgehammer solid into a shade of 1/2". The action has always been professionally bedded in a high quality stock, I'm guessing that helps. High quality barrels installed by a really good smith too. My long winded way of saying I just don't know if the action flexes or not, but it's been super accurate and reliable for over half my life. I trust it and it's done a hell of a lot good work for me.