Any Model 70 love out there?

Skeletonizing actions has zero effect structurally. Bow limbs for ever have been skeletonized for lighter weight. The cut outs have round corners to prevent any stress cracks/weak points where trouble can start. Internal airplane wing components and race car frames have same treatment too. There is a limit as to how much material in a rifle action can be safely removed, and these guys have it mastered.

My brother gave me his model 70 featherweight chambered in 300 Weatherby. It shot one or two rounds ok before the pencil barrel got too hot. The recoil also made it not very fun to shoot. I sent it to Blue Mountain Precision, trued the action, a new manners stock, bartlein 24" carbon barrel, jewell trigger, and muzzle break. Its a 10# rig with scope (no ammo). This is my best shooting rifle, and I have a Gunwerks 7 SAUM that shoots lights out. Shooting 180g Barnes at 3,200 FPS in the same hole at 100 yards, and hitting steel out past 700 yards with one shot. I can also shoot a box of ammo without getting my *** kicked. Awesome rig, great build by Blue Mountain Precision, couldn't be happier. Took my first bull elk last season!
Breaks are great at lowering recoil but you need hearing protection for even one shot hunting.
I put a Precision Armament Hypertap on my 7mag, it reduces like ~70% recoil, but man you know when your earplugs ain't in good. It would about bust your eardrums without hearing protection.
I had a 300 wm Remington 700 LR, made it into a mock M40a5 kinda, sucked a bit to shoot it due to recoil, put on a Precision Armament M-11 and then shot the barrel out on the 1000 yard line at PNTC.
That's a nice rifle you got there.

Honestly all I have to go on is the rifles history and accuracy. I've had the rifle since I purchased it new over 30 years ago, and I had it skeletonized brand new. Since then it's been a 7mm STW , until gross overloads of retumbo burned out the barrel, then a 375 WBY for near 1000 rounds (24" fluted barrel no break, actually lost a tooth to that setup), then a 340 WBY, a 28 Nosler, and now a 300 PRC. Every caliber except the 375 WBY produced 1/2 or a little better groups. The 375 would do 1/4" with 300 grain Barnes x bullets, and put 2 x's and a sledgehammer solid into a shade of 1/2". The action has always been professionally bedded in a high quality stock, I'm guessing that helps. High quality barrels installed by a really good smith too. My long winded way of saying I just don't know if the action flexes or not, but it's been super accurate and reliable for over half my life. I trust it and it's done a hell of a lot good work for me.

Skeletonizing actions has zero effect structurally. Bow limbs for ever have been skeletonized for lighter weight. The cut outs have round corners to prevent any stress cracks/weak points where trouble can start. Internal airplane wing components and race car frames have same treatment too. There is a limit as to how much material in a rifle action can be safely removed, and these guys have it mastered.
Thank you for those replies. That answers my questions and looking forward to a new project!

****, sorry to hear that. I have that 338WM classic stainless BOSS. Mine is great and O also Bought the BOSS CR when I have people around
I forgot the scope ring holes were also drilled crooked too .I had tp use the burris signsture zee rings tp fix that .My buddy that borrowed that rifke 7 yesrs loved it took 7 moose and a grizzly woth it .He never had any provlems with it after i fixed it .I still dont like win model 70 safetys i like thumb safties .I am puttomg a boss sysyem on my 338 win mag ruger 77 to make it even vetter .

I forgot the scope ring holes were also drilled crooked too .I had tp use the burris signsture zee rings tp fix that .My buddy that borrowed that rifke 7 yesrs loved it took 7 moose and a grizzly woth it .He never had any provlems with it after i fixed it .I still dont like win model 70 safetys i like thumb safties .I am puttomg a boss sysyem on my 338 win mag ruger 77 to make it even vetter .
Thumb sagfetys are typically triger blockers, whereas boltsafetys are typically firing pin. Thats the little I know anyways.

I can shoot the tang safety ruger 77 like a double barrel shotgun first shot on my 77 in 338 win mag .I really had probems with how loud and roygh the model 70 safety was .I lost a chance on the biggest buck ever due to that model 70 safety .I hated when ruger changed to the model 70 ssfery on the ruger 77 If win model 70 had a tang safety it wouod be perfect to me .I even hsd alot of trouble with that control feed on that stainless model 70 jamming .I didnt have triuvle with the push feed ones .I do wish i had bought the super grade model 70 in 358 sta only 18 made .i had ot in my hands then poof it was gone from the store

I can shoot the tang safety ruger 77 like a double barrel shotgun first shot on my 77 in 338 win mag .I really had probems with how loud and roygh the model 70 safety was .I lost a chance on the biggest buck ever due to that model 70 safety .I hated when ruger changed to the model 70 ssfery on the ruger 77 If win model 70 had a tang safety it wouod be perfect to me .I even hsd alot of trouble with that control feed on that stainless model 70 jamming .I didnt have triuvle with the push feed ones .I do wish i had bought the super grade model 70 in 358 sta only 18 made .i had ot in my hands then poof it was gone from the store
You just have to go with what works for you! In bolt rifles I have WBY (one tang the rest bolt safety) all push feed, Wni M70 all Classic Stainless BOSS (I just like the BOSS) and Ruger M77, CRF Bolt safety. I really like what he Blaser did, just can't affort it

M70 safeties hold the firing pin as do m77 rugers which copied the m70, firing pin holding safeties are the only ones that should be called safeties the rest just keep the trigger from being pulled and rely on a very small contact point of the sear to keep from going off, hence the lawyer problems with remington and I have seen a savage come extremely close to killing my best freind when we were young, his brother took the safety off and opened the boly and the rifle discharged about 6 inches from my buddies head. also with a m70 safety you can put it on the half way which allows you to open the bolt while the firing pin is being held and remove the bolt then unscrew the firing pin assembly out of the bolt to clean or de ice easily

That is more common than most would believe. I have two "custom shop" and one Laredo, all built in New Haven, that weren't square. I'm a model 70 fan from way back when but, the discovery of the consistency of this really irks…. However, a good gunsmith has corrected each of these issues by aligning on milling machine and tapping 8/40 screw holes over misaligned factory taps. All good now and shooters, too!

I have always loved Winchester rifles especially the model 70. Here is some pictures of modifying the box mag from a 22-250 to a medium action for 25 creedmoor.

Attachments

• IMG20230419143816.jpg
    IMG20230419143816.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG20230419143605.jpg
    IMG20230419143605.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG20230419151608.jpg
    IMG20230419151608.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20230419143635.jpg
    IMG20230419143635.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG20230419143629.jpg
    IMG20230419143629.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG20230419151907.jpg
    IMG20230419151907.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG20230419151914.jpg
    IMG20230419151914.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG20230419143559.jpg
    IMG20230419143559.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG20230417102439.jpg
    IMG20230417102439.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 37
I have three post '64 Winchester M70's, first a 30-06, built in 1968 for NRA High Power , slinging up for 600 and 1000 yard competition, she'll still shoot sub MOA ten round groups. Then I have two heavy Kreiger barreled M70 rifles, chambered in .308. I just have a thing for Winchesters. My Gunsmith's don't mind building rifles off of Winchester receivers, but finding parts can sometimes be a pain, so in the future, I'll probably stick with Remington type receivers.