Any Model 70 love out there?

As far as out of the box factory actions go, I readily admit that both the Winchester 70 and the Remington 700 factory actions are surpassed by the Sauer 100/Mauser M18 factory action. It is just better. It is one of many newly designed actions, with the difference being that it is actually an improvement.
Guns&Ammo:
One improvement is the breach sleeve.
Breech rings are an emerging trend in bolt-action rifles and their popularity will only increase because the advantages they offer both shooter and manufacturer are too compelling to ignore. Let me explain.

Traditional bolt-action manufacturing takes a large cylindrical piece of steel and cuts the lug abutments into the front of it (internally). Once the barrel is threaded into place, the bolt lugs sit on the abutments to lock the action closed so the rifle can safely fire. Because the action is so large, there are wide variations on where those lug abutments actually wind up. Actions made this way need someone trained in headspacing a rifle to get the barrel in the right position.

A breech ring is a small part that uses very rigid tooling, so each one is identical (usually to within .0005 inch). Once the breech ring is inside the receiver, the barrel can just be screwed into the receiver until it touches the breech ring and headspace will be correct. The front of the breech ring gives the barrel a known stopping point in relation to the lug abutments to ensure headpsace is the same every time. No hand fitting is necessary.

The savings on assembly time and reduced scrap rate guarantee breech rings will be the future of bolt-action rifles.
Breech rings represent a more sophisticated form of manufacturing that is a tad more expensive, but the savings on assembly time and reduced scrap rate guarantee breech rings will be the future of bolt-action rifles. Sauer is the first one to do it on their budget rifle.
Sounds like a lotta hype to sell a product. 700's and clones can use shouldered prefits that are headspaced within 5 thou or less. And a Remage prefit with a barrel nut, like a factory Savage, can have headspace as tight as you want it in a matter of minutes. So I think that process improvement is hype, it may be good, and maybe easier to mass produce. But will it replace the others, probably not. I've never touched a Sauer so I can't speak to their accuracy.

Sounds like a lotta hype to sell a product. 700's and clones can use shouldered prefits that are headspaced within 5 thou or less. And a Remage prefit with a barrel nut, like a factory Savage, can have headspace as tight as you want it in a matter of minutes. So I think that process improvement is hype, it may be good, and maybe easier to mass produce. But will it replace the others, probably not. I've never touched a Sauer so I can't speak to their accuracy.
I can.

Attachments

• 20220101_105732.jpg
    20220101_105732.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 36
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that specializes and customizes pre-64 m70s. I tried searching the internet for 'Sterling Davenport' and 'Dale Goens' but I believe they are names from the past.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris, there is a Pre-64 websight that I have bought parts from. They are in WA state and do some work on Pre64 model 70's. Not sure what you are looking for.

I have a few:

1) an excellent condition old PF Win 70 Ranger 243 (not the youth model) with hinged floor plate.
2) an excellent condition PF Win 70 Lightweight Laminate in 280 Remington.
3) an excellent condition CF Win 70 Extreme Weather in 308.

However, I don't use them, I just leave them sitting in the safe all scoped up and dialed in just in case I need to grab one.

Anyone else a Model 70 weirdo like me? Seems we are becoming a rarity these days. I'd love to see some pics and specs of other 70's out there. I'll get the ball rolling because I want to give a big shout out to Diamond T rifles in Craigmont ID, one of the few shops that will work on Model 70's these days. They do a fantastic job, I couldn't be happier with the build I just got back from them. Rifle below is my 90's vintage stainless classic in 300 PRC with a 22" proof barrel, SRS ti two port break, and a McMillan game hunter handle. It's been lightened a bit and has a titanium Murphy Percision pic rail. It shoots 215 Bergers and 199 Hammers in the 4's all day. Let's see some more 70's.

Anyone else a Model 70 weirdo like me? Seems we are becoming a rarity these days. I'd love to see some pics and specs of other 70's out there. I'll get the ball rolling because I want to give a big shout out to Diamond T rifles in Craigmont ID, one of the few shops that will work on Model 70's these days. They do a fantastic job, I couldn't be happier with the build I just got back from them. Rifle below is my 90's vintage stainless classic in 300 PRC with a 22" proof barrel, SRS ti two port break, and a McMillan game hunter handle. It's been lightened a bit and has a titanium Murphy Percision pic rail. It shoots 215 Bergers and 199 Hammers in the 4's all day. Let's see some more 70's.

My brother gave me his model 70 featherweight chambered in 300 Weatherby. It shot one or two rounds ok before the pencil barrel got too hot. The recoil also made it not very fun to shoot. I sent it to Blue Mountain Precision, trued the action, a new manners stock, bartlein 24" carbon barrel, jewell trigger, and muzzle break. Its a 10# rig with scope (no ammo). This is my best shooting rifle, and I have a Gunwerks 7 SAUM that shoots lights out. Shooting 180g Barnes at 3,200 FPS in the same hole at 100 yards, and hitting steel out past 700 yards with one shot. I can also shoot a box of ammo without getting my *** kicked. Awesome rig, great build by Blue Mountain Precision, couldn't be happier. Took my first bull elk last season!

Attachments

• IMG_bluemountain).jpg
    IMG_bluemountain).jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 29
Just traded one off last week.

It is rather unfortunate that Remington has made some... weird choices in the latter part of its history. It wasn't just the fact that the 700 was more affordable and easier to produce; it was also the accuracy that attracted people. I doubt the market would be any different than it is today had Winchester continued its production of the P64 70. The Post-63 actions were some of the better push feeds on the market, but they are often overlooked nonetheless.

Nowadays FN is producing amazing rifles (dare I say better than the actual P64 versions [fight me]) under the Winchester name and Remington is on the way back up under RemArms. Hunters and shooters rejoice.
nhenry, you are absolutely right Pal. I worked for Remington for a little over a year as an LE guy and finally quit due to their many struggles with product, especially LE related ammo and gear. I'm a gun prostitute and have worked for several gun companies in my post LE career. They were really struggling when I went to work for them and their products were on downhill slide toward their last and final bankruptcy. I had LE rifles that came from the factory with headspace issues, and 870s that wouldn't work out of the box. I picked up more ammo than I delivered because it wouldn't go "bang" and that was duty ammo. I delivered 200 brand new 870s to a major Sheriff's department and had to lay hands on everyone of them to make them work.
It was kind of sad. I had model 700Ps that wouldn't hold 2" at 100 yards due to headspace issues and actions that were so out of true there were gaps between the action face and barrel shoulder. There were some really great folks there and my boss was truly trying to get things fixed but the "Freedom Group" that was running the show at that time didn't care and it finally put them out of business. It's unfortunate when companies hire management that are not from the gun industry to try and run a gun company. I was so concerned and embarrassed by the many issues I resigned my position before they imploded.

Brother, the last I heard (haven't checked recently) the Rem Arms folks have filed bankruptcy .

I absolutely agree with you on the FN produced model 70s. I have a couple of them and they are very well made rifles.

nhenry, you are absolutely right Pal. I worked for Remington for a little over a year as an LE guy and finally quit due to their many struggles with product, especially LE related ammo and gear. I'm a gun prostitute and have worked for several gun companies in my post LE career. They were really struggling when I went to work for them and their products were on downhill slide toward their last and final bankruptcy. I had LE rifles that came from the factory with headspace issues, and 870s that wouldn't work out of the box. I picked up more ammo than I delivered because it wouldn't go "bang" and that was duty ammo. I delivered 200 brand new 870s to a major Sheriff's department and had to lay hands on everyone of them to make them work.
It was kind of sad. I had model 700Ps that wouldn't hold 2" at 100 yards due to headspace issues and actions that were so out of true there were gaps between the action face and barrel shoulder. There were some really great folks there and my boss was truly trying to get things fixed but the "Freedom Group" that was running the show at that time didn't care and it finally put them out of business. It's unfortunate when companies hire management that are not from the gun industry to try and run a gun company. I was so concerned and embarrassed by the many issues I resigned my position before they imploded.

Brother, the last I heard (haven't checked recently) the Rem Arms folks have filed bankruptcy .

I absolutely agree with you on the FN produced model 70s. I have a couple of them and they are very well made rifles.
Sad about Remington. What a classic and timeless brand.

RemArms just moved shop to Georgia to get away from New York State, so I wonder how recent your news about RemArms is. They, to my knowledge, are still producing rifles. I just talked to them on the phone not too long ago.

Sad about Remington. What a classic and timeless brand.

RemArms just moved shop to Georgia to get away from New York State, so I wonder how recent your news about RemArms is. They, to my knowledge, are still producing rifles. I just talked to them on the phone not too long ago.
nhenry,
You are correct Brother. My info was not right. It seems folks mistook the move to mean they were closing down. I'm truly glad to see the name survive although it is a completely different company. I wish the old Remington could have remained intact. Getting out of NY was a good move although the old plant was so historical it's a shame to see it go. I've worked for S&W, Colt's and Remington and one of my favorite things was getting to wander around the old historic buildings they are in. It was a really fun ride. I was like a kid in a candy store. As a kid, reading all the gun rags about these companies, I never imagined I'd get the chance to to work for them. At 73 I still do some contract work for a major ammo company but it's about time to slow down. Problem is, I really like what I do.

I have 3 Model 70s……all FN models…..264WM, 270 Win, and 375 HH and I'm looking for discontinued Stainless Super Grades and Featherweights! I traded a 1951 model 70 in 30-06 in1970 for an L61R Sako 7RM and have regretted it ever since…..didn't have a clue what I was doing! But I've killed a ton of deer with the old Sako….its been a Great Rifle…..I love the old Sakos and have quite a few and I'm always looking to buy more when the right deal comes along! I love the old classic wood stocked rifles…..years ago I replaced many with synthetic stocks that I used for guiding and threw all the wood stocks away(don't ask me why) and have spent the last few years searching for and putting wood back on them! Call it Nostalgia!! 🤷

Last edited: