Any Model 70 love out there?

Anyone else a Model 70 weirdo like me? Seems we are becoming a rarity these days. I'd love to see some pics and specs of other 70's out there. I'll get the ball rolling because I want to give a big shout out to Diamond T rifles in Craigmont ID, one of the few shops that will work on Model 70's these days. They do a fantastic job, I couldn't be happier with the build I just got back from them. Rifle below is my 90's vintage stainless classic in 300 PRC with a 22" proof barrel, SRS ti two port break, and a McMillan game hunter handle. It's been lightened a bit and has a titanium Murphy Percision pic rail. It shoots 215 Bergers and 199 Hammers in the 4's all day. Let's see some more 70's.
Nice looking Rifle !! Sweet

My son and I have several M70's with most push feeds. My son also has a pre-64 .270 Featherweight and a custom pre-64 in 9.3x62. My personal favorite is a short action push feed I had rebarreled to a fast twist .220 Swift using a Rock barrel. I use it hunting predators, deer and antelope.

By the way Dale Hegstrom of Little Crow Gunworks, LLC is an excellent gunsmith that works on M70's. His office phone number is 320-796-0530. He is located in Spicer, MN.

I go old school. My pre 64 70's are custom builds, a 270 built by Sterling Davenport and a 25-06 built by Dale Goens.
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that specializes and customizes pre-64 m70s. I tried searching the internet for 'Sterling Davenport' and 'Dale Goens' but I believe they are names from the past.

Thanks,
Chris

Really, who isn't a Mod 70 lover? ;) My last Mod 70, unfortunately, I sold. Was a very nice early Super Grade, Pre 64 in .300 H&H early enough that it wasn't drilled and tapped for optics and I didn't want to drill for a scope, so I sold it to a Win collector, it was indeed a very nice rifle and shot as good as it looked even with iron sights only. My last non-Pro 64 Mod 70 was a long-range build on a push feed in a .243 WSSM great rifle, sold that one as well to another LR shooter who just loves it. Oh well... time goes on. Cheers.

243 WSSM 004.jpg

243 WSSM 001.jpg

Like you I inherited by dad's '60 264wm and had high hopes of making it my 'go to' long range hunting rifle but I get a lot of shot variation at 100 yards. I've tried over a half dozen loads, including some factory loads, without much success. So disappointing, but I also have his '40 m70 30-06, which shoots great.
I tried having Winchester replacing the barrel, but it still shoots less than their required moa to be replaced. Per Winchester's requirements of 1.25 or 1.5moa. After 2,500+ rounds it still shoots less than 1 on a bad day.

This kind of makes me want to invest in a Model 70. Never really been a winchester guy, but that probably has to stem from never owning anything winchester.

Good thread. I've got a couple of them, a 1950s Ftw .30-06 I inherited from my dad, and a 1980s XTR FTW .257 Roberts. Both are sub-moa shooters with the right factory ammo. Really like the Schnabel stocks on those XTR models. Foolishly sold the 1st rifle I ever had, a XTR FTW .270 that killed a bunch of deer.

I bought my Model 70 25-06 Rem at 16-years-old. I'm going to be 62 next month. At the time of purchase, the 25-06 was still considered a somewhat wildcat cartridge. I was intrigued because I never even heard of that caliber back then. So, I bought it brand new for $220 with my own money. I have undoubtedly killed more deer with that gun then any other gun I own. And, I own quite a few long guns at this point in my life. Years before learning how to reload, I would chamber the Winchester 120-grain positive expanding point down the throat, and man, what a devastating cartridge it was on whitetails. I was a super-confident shot and always took a head or neck shot. The deer would drop like a sack of potatoes. No movement, no tracking. Needless to say, that rifle is indeed a favorite in my collection. I have since given it a somewhat retirement. Occasionally, I'll pick it up and send some rounds downrange. It hasn't missed a beat and throughout those years, it never missed a deer.

I have a lot of love for the pre '64 mod 70s! From antelope to elk, a majority of the animals I've killed have been with a pre '64 300 H&H that my grandpa passed down to me. He gave me a choice between 300 H&H or 30-06 both in pre '64 mod 70s, and I think he still has some regret for letting the H&H go! One of the smoothest and most accurate rifles I own. A 180gr AB over some RL 22 has been a great combo for my 300. I don't like to pick favorites with my guns, but this one definitely holds a special place. A couple years ago I finally bought a more modern style rifle to be my new go to and save some of the beating from my more classic rifles.

Anyone else a Model 70 weirdo like me? Seems we are becoming a rarity these days. I'd love to see some pics and specs of other 70's out there. I'll get the ball rolling because I want to give a big shout out to Diamond T rifles in Craigmont ID, one of the few shops that will work on Model 70's these days. They do a fantastic job, I couldn't be happier with the build I just got back from them. Rifle below is my 90's vintage stainless classic in 300 PRC with a 22" proof barrel, SRS ti two port break, and a McMillan game hunter handle. It's been lightened a bit and has a titanium Murphy Percision pic rail. It shoots 215 Bergers and 199 Hammers in the 4's all day. Let's see some more 70's.
Naw, I actually can't stand the darned things!;) ----unless they were made before 1964! I have a few. In fact my go to is a Featherweight 06 that bought when I was 19 years old. Been to Africa 4 times and still shoots great. My .300 H&H will be my elk rifle this year.
Namibia 164.jpg