7 PRC SAAMI approved

Once again you are assuming that they will use the 300 PRC case and not the 6.5 case. How about we see what Steve thinks is more profitable. Do be fooled. This is a money grab for the PRC name! I look at your list of iconic 7mm cartridges that you are running down, and can only think that maybe you should show the world what a proper 7mm cartridge should look like. Best of luck with your invention.
I don't understand the constant money grab comments. SAAMI cartridges and components can be produced by anyone/any business. What are you talking about?

This is about money for Steve. He controls the market. He can either produce ammo and brass for a cartridge or not. When not, that cartridge suffers. Is he reinventing the wheel? No! He will produce another 7mm that will do no more than what is already out there. But he has the name PRC. So he will milk it on all 4 tits to get all the money he can. If he uses the 6.5 case there are already several options. If he uses the 300 case there are already options. So what is he bringing to the table? The name PRC, and the ability to produce ammo. There is nothing else coming. He will use the 162gr ELD-X. So why all the hype?

This is about money for Steve. He controls the market. He can either produce ammo and brass for a cartridge or not. When not, that cartridge suffers. Is he reinventing the wheel? No! He will produce another 7mm that will do no more than what is already out there. But he has the name PRC. So he will milk it on all 4 tits to get all the money he can. If he uses the 6.5 case there are already several options. If he uses the 300 case there are already options. So what is he bringing to the table? The name PRC, and the ability to produce ammo. There is nothing else coming. He will use the 162gr ELD-X. So why all the hype?
I generally agree with you about the PRC hype, the fact that a 6.5 with a 2 grain capacity advantage over the already awesome 6.5x284 is all the rage right now is proof of that.
However I do think a well designed 7mm in the 85-95 grain capacity range would fill a void in the 7mm lineup, and be a huge success.
Not that I really care, I'm pretty happy wildcating the wsm

PRC,PRC,PRC. IT IS NOTHING NEW! JUST A NAME HE OWNS. NO EARTH SHATTERING INVENTION IS COMING. JUST MORE MONEY FOR STEVE.
I think the quote is something like, "Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it." Everyone had the same argument about the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5 PRC and the 300 PRC. A new cartridge doesn't have to be faster than every other cartridge before it to offer something new. If you haven't realized what Hornady's formula is and why it's incredibly smart, you haven't been paying attention.

I think the quote is something like, "Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it." Everyone had the same argument about the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5 PRC and the 300 PRC. A new cartridge doesn't have to be faster than every other cartridge before it to offer something new. If you haven't realized what Hornady's formula is and why it's incredibly smart, you haven't been paying attention.
Please share the "Hornady Formula". Other than being the main player in ammo what are his intentions? Apparently I have not been paying attention.

PRC,PRC,PRC. IT IS NOTHING NEW! JUST A NAME HE OWNS. NO EARTH SHATTERING INVENTION IS COMING. JUST MORE MONEY FOR STEVE.

This is a thread that might bing the blood pressure down a bit.

It opened my eyes a bit, not to derail this thread but maybe bring it back in a bit

I generally agree with you about the PRC hype, the fact that a 6.5 with a 2 grain capacity advantage over the already awesome 6.5x284 is all the rage right now is proof of that.
However I do think a well designed 7mm in the 85-95 grain capacity range would fill a void in the 7mm lineup, and be a huge success.
Not that I really care, I'm pretty happy wildcating the wsm
6.5x284 is a better long action cartridge……still a great round, I once was going to have one.
The 6.5prc with the short fat case has more efficient burn of powder for the amount of it. It's been proven in most all shooting sports that the short fat cases are darn efficient.

I'd say what Steve is doing is optimizing some of these new cartridges derived from older, well known chamberings. Either no belt, an optimal degree of the shoulder, longer necks etc. Some hate him for being a smart business person but he's pushing new innovations in the shooting/hunting world and trying to be efficient with his designs.

First, find a factory rifle in 7mm anything that has a twist rate that can stabilize the highest BC 7mm bullets, hint, at least 1-8.5". Second, find me a factory loaded 7mm anything round that has a COAL around 3.6" that is loaded with 175 grain or above bullets. Let me save you some time... they don't exist. OK, that's a little hyperbole, they do exist, but they are expensive and in short supply. The Hornady formula is to create factory ammo loaded with heavy for caliber, high BC bullets. Then, because the SAAMI spec is correct, rifle manufacturers can build rifles with fast twist rates so you can shoot the heavy for caliber high BC bullets.

Last edited:
This is a thread that might bing the blood pressure down a bit.

It opened my eyes a bit, not to derail this thread but maybe bring it back in a bit

I did read that article. The big picture here is more than people see. Another PRC in production will pull materials and man hours away from the already under producing company that can't keep up with demand. I checked and no new building going up at Hornady in Grand Island. This will only slow down the overall operation. This is being done to capitalize on the PRC name. I don't begrudge anyone making all the money they can. I say that being a 50 year old starting the 3rd year of retirement. Make the money but don't sacrifice the customers to fill your pockets. Planning and building are required to make this work or it will spin into what we are seeing now. 6.5 PRC Precision Hunter selling for $2000.00 a case on Gunbroker. The new shooters that all these companies keep referring to are the ones they are after. They don't know any better than what they came into.

I can see this really helping a lot of non re loaders out and like others have said bringing the 7mm bore up to date with twist rates yes their is other wildcats out there that do the same this this 7mm PRC but at least u will see the real number with it being approved and pressure tested yes there is another one out ther very similar but it's just number thrown out by people that use the cartridge with no pressure measuring tools and give u statements saying I load 4 grains under such cartridge but get 100 to 200 fps more