6.5 PRC Reloading

Tagging in.....Have really been thinking this is the best "budget" Short action Magnum 6.5. As much as I love the Sherman Shorts, I'm too poor to play the Wildcat game. Thanks for posting your results!

Tagging in.....Have really been thinking this is the best "budget" Short action Magnum 6.5. As much as I love the Sherman Shorts, I'm too poor to play the Wildcat game. Thanks for posting your results!
Amen to that! I like to play as much as the next guy, but some of the contributors here are probably a bit more affluent than me...custom-built hardware is REALLY nice but if I have to choose between buying the launcher or going out to hunt with what I've got...well, you get my drift!

I have a PRC barreled action on the way from Advanced Weapons Technologies LLC in Kentucky. Don builds some very fine pistols and rifles. I am hoping to try the Sierra 130 for hunting in it. Thinking 3200 fps should be doable in a 24" with the 130 Gamechangers.

Bottom left is .31 I'd say my PRC shoots.
100 yards 3 shots.

Attachments

• 38F2F451-DF09-432D-8D59-FDA559124D24.jpeg
    38F2F451-DF09-432D-8D59-FDA559124D24.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 542
For you guys reloading for the PRC, How's the Hornady brass holding up?
loading to a nice pressure primers a little loose at 7. have 10 on some brass. when testing hot loads, had a few case necks split. ejector marks appear on about any of my loads.

I have a PRC barreled action on the way from Advanced Weapons Technologies LLC in Kentucky. Don builds some very fine pistols and rifles. I am hoping to try the Sierra 130 for hunting in it. Thinking 3200 fps should be doable in a 24" with the 130 Gamechangers.
knowing my rifle, i think you could easily get what your looking for.:)

so much has changed with my gun since I started shooting it, I thought I would post some new data so I may make sense to people shooting the prc. here are some loads that are .5 moa. 140 berger elite hunter with 52.8 h4831 2975fps. this is my most accurate load measuring less than an inch at 212 yards. another really good load is 53.8 h4831 with the 147 3040 av. this load is 1.2 inches 212 yards. the 143.... well maybe someday I can get it to compete but it seems to like h1000 about 56.5 grains. (57.1 grains will push it right at 3100). Now that the gun is seasoned im getting velocities off the charts if I heat it up but as always (in my experience) accuracy is in the 2950 to 3050 fps range. I love this cartridge.

Calif hunter here. Anyone loading Hornady GMX or other nolead yet?

I'm looking at buying a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC, but only factory ammo available now are the 2 Hornady EDL.

How is the consistance of the Bertram brass? Better than hornady?

Anyone try running the 160 matrix yet? I'm in the process of rebarreling my 26 nosler into the 6.5 PRS and I got about 5 boxes of theses left over. Should I try H1000 with these?

How is the consistance of the Bertram brass? Better than hornady?

Anyone try running the 160 matrix yet? I'm in the process of rebarreling my 26 nosler into the 6.5 PRS and I got about 5 boxes of theses left over. Should I try H1000 with these?
no I havnt tried the matrix. haven't ran anything other than Hornady brass yet. after shooting mine and learning about the cartridge, I think a slightly longer barrel than 24 inch would allow better utilization of case capacity to hit the 2950 sweet spot. just my thought.... then again, im not familiar with the 160.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.