6.5 PRC Reloading

list some barrel and gun specs. I'm VERY interested in building one.

Honestly does it have that much more going for it over its little brother 6.5 Creedmoor

My gun sped up a bit. factory 147s flew 2860 today. they were shooting about 2760 or so before 120 rounds. I kind of lost my node I was on with h1000 and 140 bergers. will have to load down some. my load went from 3060 to 3117. anyone using h4831? im feeling the need to tinker, I may just try it.

Honestly does it have that much more going for it over its little brother 6.5 Creedmoor
In my opinion the creed is hard to beat. I have one and love it. it shoots really well with different powders and bullets. if I am shooting factory ammo like the 140 eldm, it runs about 2660 fps. assuming that the prc factory 143s will shoot around 3000 fps, that's pretty significant to me as a hunter who may take a long shot. when I reload, I can pressure up the creed to go about 2800 or so with good accuracy. if the prc doesn't want to come into a node much faster than 3000 fps then I would flip a coin. one of my thoughts with reloading the prc is if there is enough horsepower to shoot bullets with BCs around the .700 mark around 2950 or so, or around the .610 mark at 3050 or so, then i have no reason to be flinging 230 grain bullets out of a rum with almost 100 grains of powder unless i needed that much energy...

My gun sped up a bit. factory 147s flew 2860 today. they were shooting about 2760 or so before 120 rounds. I kind of lost my node I was on with h1000 and 140 bergers. will have to load down some. my load went from 3060 to 3117. anyone using h4831? im feeling the need to tinker, I may just try it.

Ryan Avery is using H4831sc in his custom build. He has a 26" bbl and getting 3010 fps with 147s. I believe he's using 55 grains in Bertram brass.

It will outpace the CM by 250-300 fps with conventional loads using the same bullets and barrel length. Considering a standard velocity of 2750 fps with a 143 in a CM and the same bullet at 3050 in the PRC.

Ive shot the 150smks over 3000 in my 24" barrel with a muzzle break. That was my last shot while load developing. Still haven't been out yet to do anymore but Ill get out and report. Won't be hunting with these bullets though. I'm waiting on federal to release some 6.5 bullets in their edge TLR. Talked to them a few weeks ago and they said it'd be out in 2019.

Ryan Avery is using H4831sc in his custom build. He has a 26" bbl and getting 3010 fps with 147s. I believe he's using 55 grains in Bertram brass.
Any idea where he started with his load? I've got lots of H4831sc sitting in my garage

took the gun out this evening while snowing a little. it came back in to 1.18 groups at 200 yds with h1000 59.1 grains. same groups from 58.8 to 59.7. running 3085 fps, no sticky brass. ES 11.0 SD 5.0. still not the bug hole group I seen this gun do but.... im not done yet.

a question for someone who may know... I have a Christensen muzzle brake on my rifle with side ports and 4 plugged threaded holes on top. how do I utilize the 4 top ports; is it tuning for accuracy or just the way the rifle recoils?

a question for someone who may know... I have a Christensen muzzle brake on my rifle with side ports and 4 plugged threaded holes on top. how do I utilize the 4 top ports; is it tuning for accuracy or just the way the rifle recoils?
My understanding is you use them to increase the amount of gas released vertically to help keep the weapon on target during rapid strings of shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.