6.5 PRC question VS 264win.

Experience.
Can it stabilize 140g class bullets situationally? Yep, and some it would not at all in my experience. Is is optimal to shoot a 140g class bullet from a 9 twist? Nope. Can accuracy fall apart unpredictably at range due to marginal stability. Yep.
Respectfully, specific to 264win, I have had and shot through just about every variation of 264win a guy can imagine going back to the early 1990's. Including multiple custom reamers, a couple of gain twist barrels, custom twist barrels and several SAAMI spec rifles. I have played with several other 6.5's over the years as well. However, I have not yet owned a 6.5PRC so I can't comment directly as to its ultimate capabilities.
At best the 142gr is only marginal in a 9 twist. They are designed for 8.5-8tw bullets.

Accuracy will quickly fall off down range with them when shot from a 9tw barrel.

At best the 142gr is only marginal in a 9 twist. They are designed for 8.5-8tw bullets.

Accuracy will quickly fall off down range with them when shot from a 9tw barrel.
The Bullet will require a marginal FPS for the 142's to achieve Stability. I'd suggest we define that Target. A larger Case will develop more speed in a given twist barrel.

Equal weight, same make of bullet, Apples to Apples comparison.
Maybe I'm asking it wrong. I'm asking you if the 264 Win mag is shooting a 147 grain bullet and the 6.5 PRC is shooting the same 147 grain bullet. And both are being shot at a target at 1000 yards. You are saying the 264 Win Mag will out perform the 6.5 PRC?

The Bullet will require a marginal FPS for the 142's to achieve Stability. I'd suggest we define that Target. A larger Case will develop more speed in a given twist barrel.
It takes a really large increase in velocity to make much of a difference in stability.

According to Nosler 1:8 is the minimum recommended twist rate for the 142 ABLR.

I think that's why a lot of guys here have had issues with the ABLR because they were loading for older rifles with slower twist barrels.

Maybe I'm asking it wrong. I'm asking you if the 264 Win mag is shooting a 147 grain bullet and the 6.5 PRC is shooting the same 147 grain bullet. And both are being shot at a target at 1000 yards. You are saying the 264 Win Mag will out perform the 6.5 PRC?
All things being equal whichever one starts out at the higher MV is going to win the performance race.

I may be wrong, and frequently am but 10 years from now I would expect the 6.5RPM to be more popular than the 6.5PRC, and the 264 win mag will be about as popular as it is today. The 264 win mag is a classic caliber, I've owned and hunted with several, but I've never noticed an animal could tell It died from a 6.5/06 or a 264 win mag.
Or a 218 Bee.

I think for now once its up and running I have 135 Berger classic hunters and some 130 grain VLD's. These should work with the 1/9 twist. When I rebarrel I'll just go with a 1/7 and that should spin up all the heavy bullets. I was wondering if anyone has used any special throating for the heavies. I think the .188 may be good for that.

All things being equal whichever one starts out at the higher MV is going to win the performance race.
I'm never arguing with you brother. My *** hurts just reading this thread from your bonking going on. Lol

You have to remember there were no offerings to speak of in 6.5 Spitzer type bullets when the .264wm made it's debut or through it's heyday.

The only heavier offerings were round nosed soft pointed bullets specifically designed for large and dangerous game.

The new revolution that has brought the 6.5's again to real prominence and an ever growing share of the market created the demand for longer, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets and that's a relatively new development in the industry.

Fortunately the folks at Winchester have finally recognized the need for a tighter twist barrel to handle the newer, longer and heavier bullets dominating the market today.

The other thing that killed off the .264 was the "barrel burner" reputation that they were quickly handed, fairly or not. Modern barrel metallurgy has taken care of that issue.

The big problem for the .264wm is the 7 RM which quickly dominated it in the market and eventually getting it labeled as "obsolete". Fortunately it's made a nice comeback with the renewed interest in 6.5's but being a belted magnum it's never going to compete for market share with the 6.5PRC even though Ballistically it's a superior round running considerably faster and with then a lot more energy.

To me as a collector of Winchester Model 70's and liking owning rifles chambered for proprietary rounds by the same company putting them out I feel like my collection would forever remain incomplete without at least one in the cabinet.

This is true, I believe the decision was made to use a 9 twist so they could also offer the lighter bullets for varminting without putting too much stress on the bullets. Also I like to collect rifles but I also like to shoot them so I tend to stay away from old rifles in chamberings with short barrel lives. That's why my two pre 64's are a 30-06 standard grade and a .300 H&H Bull Gun.

In my post I was referencing the currently produced Model 70's as they are all still 9 twist based on the 2022 shot show specials. I would have really liked one of the French walnut or maple stocked ones but I won't buy it if I have to immediately rebarrel it when I already have a South Carolina made Model 70 in the safe that would be a much better contender for a Proof CF Sendero Lite .264 WM barrel.

One thing I'd look at for the 9 twist 264 is a 135 A tip. I run those. Impressive bc for weight and easy to tune. I don't run the long barrels most do on here so i can't directly give fps results. What I see is preople around me run 26-28" barrels and a 140 around 3200. Thats close to max for a prc. I can run a safe but hot load in 22" at 3100. Put a 26" on it and you'll see 3200 but IMO it's hot. I do have a 156 load in the 22" prc that runs 3000 but brass is toast in 4 firings so backed off. I have no doubt a 264 should run 100 fps faster on average over a prc. There is quite a volume gap there. Good luck but I'd look at those 135's if it were me.