6.5mm Craze? 264WM vs 6.5 SAUM vs 6.5 PRC?

Where's the 6.5 Rem Mag in all this??? Huh huh huh???? As accurate as any 6.5 PRC. And hits harder (ok tiny tiny tiny little bit - lol)

Where's the 6.5 Rem Mag in all this??? Huh huh huh???? As accurate as any 6.5 PRC. And hits harder (ok tiny tiny tiny little bit - lol)

The 6.5 Remington Mag was "way" ahead of its times, I used one in a Remington M700 BDL when they first came out in that model in the late 60s/70s as I recall, it was an amazing combination and deadly accurate. I think due to all the misinformation at the time around the .264 Win Mag, some of that 6.5mm hate splashed over on the 6.5 Rem Mag which as we look back can see both were unwarranted negativity. I still wish Remington had put more of them out in the BDL I sold mine and regretted it right after I sold it. Today many of the people that talk about 6.5mm short mags type performance cartridges have no conception Remington did it first and got it right... it's "still" a great cartridge as an around cartridge for hunting and LR targets shooting. With today's bullet and powder... wow! we need the brass and perhaps a few rifles. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

The 6.5 Remington Mag was "way" ahead of its times, I used one in a Remington M700 BDL when they first came out in that model in the late 60s/70s as I recall, it was an amazing combination and deadly accurate. I think due to all the misinformation at the time around the .264 Win Mag, some of that 6.5mm hate splashed over on the 6.5 Rem Mag which as we look back can see both were unwarranted negativity. I still wish Remington had put more of them out in the BDL I sold mine and regretted it right after I sold it. Today many of the people that talk about 6.5mm short mags type performance cartridges have no conception Remington did it first and got it right... it's "still" a great cartridge as an around cartridge for hunting and LR targets shooting. With today's bullet and powder... wow! we need the brass and perhaps a few rifles. Just my 0.2 Cheers.
An ole hunting buddy of mine totally agrees with you, He hunted with the 264 and also shot long distance competition with it.
He too regrets getting rid of his !

I remember thinking all this 6.5 stuff was hype - but then I remember talking to a guy at a gun show who said the 6.5 Swede had killed a lot of African Elephants (shot 'em in the ear/brain). Then also started reading the Ballistics on the "new" 6.5 Creed. Wound up buying one at a gunstore parking lot sale - a Tikka T3 Lite (MOA guaranteed) - for around $550.

Hope to finally pick it up - long story - Cal gun laws., Will finally do some long range plinking. :)

I remember thinking all this 6.5 stuff was hype
There's about five hundred thousand Russians buried in Finland that point to the efficacy of the 6.5mm bore. The 6.5x55 was the Nordic 30-06 and is about as Finnish as lingonberries. Which is to say, indistinguishable between Finland and Sweden - which went through the most polite breakup in modern history.

There's about five hundred thousand Russians buried in Finland that point to the efficacy of the 6.5mm bore. The 6.5x55 was the Nordic 30-06 and is about as Finnish as lingonberries. Which is to say, indistinguishable between Finland and Sweden - which went through the most polite breakup in modern history.
Thanks - knew about the Finns, their bravery and cagy guerilla attacks in the snow, on skis, etc, and making good weapons - but not about their also making 6.5 rifles like their neighbor Swedes.. Look forward more than ever now to picking up my 6.5 Creed in Tikka T3X Lite. It should should shoot pretty good with a MOA guarantee :)

I can't put a 264wm in an AR10, but can put a 6.5prc. The prc was the only option at this time, but would rather have saum or wsm instead.

As the 6.5x55mm Swede goes and I have both the M96 and the K31 in 7.5x55mm Swede another great cartridge... you might find this interesting, it's a good read on the subject. I think the 6.5x55mm Swede is one of the best all-around 6.5s a guy could shoot these days. Cheers

Recent Posts