44 Mag hunting bullet

Which projectile would you choose for hunting big game in the lower 48 inside 100 yards?

• 205gr Jack Hammer

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • 200gr Lehigh Raptor

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 300gr + WFNGC

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 33 41.8%

• Total voters
From what I remember doing a lot of research on this years ago 1200 fps was the optimal velocity for Heavy hard cast bullets.

I push mine, different cartridge, a bit harder. As velocity drops off pretty quickly, I was hoping to flatten the trajectory some, thinking for up to 150 yard possible use. memtb

Here's a write-up from John. It does not have the true heavyweights in the 44, but may answer some questions……at the least, good reading! memtb

Last edited:
In 44 it was 300 or 320, 340 gr at 1200 fps.

But iirc it didn't matter the caliber just push it in the 1100 to 1200 fps and your golden.
Could but .475 400 wfngc at 1200.
I think it was just 1200 was optimal speed regardless of caliber. Iirc

I think that my present 460 S&W load, 400 grain WFNGC, would be somewhat over 1200 from a 5" barrel. Though, from the looks of things……I'll never know! 😁 memtb

Last edited:
In 44 it was 300 or 320, 340 gr at 1200 fps.

But iirc it didn't matter the caliber just push it in the 1100 to 1200 fps and your golden.
Could but .475 400 wfngc at 1200.
I think it was just 1200 was optimal speed regardless of caliber. Iirc
6.5x300 WBY,
Yeah, makes sense... I think Keith favorite load was a 250gr lead SWC at 1200 fps, with "2400" in his .44 Spl load, which carried over to the .44 Magnum down the road. obviously, one can get much more velopucity from a .44 Mag load, but... I think Keith felt 1200 fps and little above was the sweet spot for most 4" inch .44 cal revolvers. Thanks... Cheers.

Yeah going over 1200 just flattens trajectory not penetration. I used to try to get my DW 445supermag to 1600 fps with 320 wfngc but realized it didn't do anything for penetration just a bit flatter trajectory. I miss that DW. But I got a bad itch for a Feedom arms premiere in 475. Linebaugh. This subject is like a knife twisting inside me.

Yeah going over 1200 just flattens trajectory not penetration. I used to try to get my DW 445supermag to 1600 fps with 320 wfngc but realized it didn't do anything for penetration just a bit flatter trajectory. I miss that DW. But I got a bad itch for a Feedom arms premiere in 475. Linebaugh. This subject is like a knife twisting inside me.

My daughter (technically my step daughter) bought me one in Premier Grade with a couple of options added, last year. With the understanding that, she gets it back when I "kick over". She heard me talk about John Linebaugh, and saw me drool over that handgun. Great deal - long story!

I really can't justify having it and will never use it…..I want her to get it back with maximum value! memtb

My daughter (technically my step daughter) bought me one in Premier Grade with a couple of options added, last year. With the understanding that, she gets it back when I "kick over". She heard me talk about John Linebaugh, and saw me drool over that handgun. Great deal - long story!

I really can't justify having it and will never use it…..I want her to get it back with maximum value! memtb
Could you talk her into adopting me?

Knife twisting sounds bad…
The possibility of a new gun is always good…
Unless new firearm purchases are painful for you 😜

300 Hornady HP/XTP center and left, 205 Jack Hammer on right. loaded these in 2004 with 22 grains of 296 in a Ruger Redhawk.
will fit in the new Anaconda's. Hornady doesn't offer the double cannelure anymore that I can find. T.P.
IMG_4213.jpg

I believe it was the owner of LBT Bullet molds that said (possibly in his book), driving cast lead bullets with a large flat meplat too fast did something to the blood cells that released a clotting agent. They function differently than and expanding bullet. But as advertised, I generally got a "golf ball"sized wound channel, even full penetration, back to front on a whitetail, exiting the brisket.

5 shot over the chrono gave me an average 805fps.
Way slower than expected but very consistent. Very interested to see how penetration on water jugs goes.
If you get a chance, take a look at Garrett Ammo's web page. Randy Garrett did a paper on penetration and velocity. Randy is a gentleman and extremely knowledgeable about big magnums and terminal ballistics. He found on many occasions that an increase in velocity actually reduced penetration. If you can get them, try wet phone books for penetration test. Water jugs can be a bit misleading. When those jugs explode, the water moves out of the way and the projectile doesn't even touch it. I do wound ballistic workshops for a major ammo maker and have shot a lot of different media. Of course 10% gelatin is the best but wet phone books are really cool. I've shot 320 grain hardcast at 980-990 fps into 10% gel and have them pass completely through two 16" blocks and still end up in the next zip code.

Recent Posts