44 Mag hunting bullet

Which projectile would you choose for hunting big game in the lower 48 inside 100 yards?

• 205gr Jack Hammer

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • 200gr Lehigh Raptor

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 300gr + WFNGC

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 33 41.8%

• Total voters
Taj, I'd love to try some phone books, but they are an "endangered species" with the advent of cell phones, ect. Plus, around here I could easily shoot thru 20 years worth of phone books. Not saying that our books are thin…..but a bright light might shine through them! 😁 memtb

Just for "research," I loaded up three rounds w/16.5gr H110 and chronographed them to compare with that 1680 load.
1084'
1084'
1079'
I'm using old fence posts as my backstop and found a couple from yesterday and one from just now.
Guess which one I fired today…?
Weighed the one from today in at 334.3gr for 90% weight retention! 🙌 Recoil still wasn't to bad!

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4215.jpeg
    IMG_4215.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 13
Pulled my cylinder to clean the gun and noticed the bluing was blasted? off during the 3 latest firings….? Can anyone tell me what's going on? 🤨
That's not a shadow or weird camera angle for cylinders 1,2,3 if going clockwise and 12 o'clock is #1 cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 17
Pulled my cylinder to clean the gun and noticed the bluing was blasted? off during the 3 latest firings….? Can anyone tell me what's going on? 🤨
That's not a shadow or weird camera angle for cylinders 1,2,3 if going clockwise and 12 o'clock is #1 cylinder.
What's the diameter of the bullets your shooting? What is the size of each of the holes in your cylinder?

Is that bluing blasted off or lead deposits? Fitment is critical with cast bullets, especially when they are hard cast and not gas checked. I like a snug push fit in the cylinder throats.

Take a bullet and see how snug they are in your cylinders. I'm guessing they drop through.

Curious what revolver you are using?
Cimarron Bad Boy. This is the only photo I can upload. I keep getting an error uploading all the other ones for file being too big.
If I get the bullet started, it drops right through without issue 😐

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 17
If your cast bullets are sized correctly they don't need to be coated. If you are purchasing them,you probably don't have any control over the sizing. You could try gas checked bullets.

If the bluing at the cylinder mouth is gone,it could be from being "sand blasted" by ball type powder. I know that the .357 Max Rugers had topstrap cutting that was accelerated by ball type powders.

That's when I discovered Blue Dot. So there was a up side to it.

Gas checks will help with fitment issues. A softer alloy can help also as the bullet can obturate to fill the cylinder throats.

But undersized, plain base hard cast are a worst case scenario. They will lead your gun badly and not shoot with good precision.

A cylinder full of jacketed bullets will help remove the leading in the barrel. It can be hard to remove with solvent and a brush.

You will need to measure your chamber throats and size your bullets accordingly going forward.

Recent Posts