44 Mag hunting bullet

Which projectile would you choose for hunting big game in the lower 48 inside 100 yards?

• 205gr Jack Hammer

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • 200gr Lehigh Raptor

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 300gr + WFNGC

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 33 41.8%

• Total voters
Got those 370gr MBW in the mail today and put together a dummy round. I don't get my gun until Friday so I'll have to swing by and make sure it fits in the cylinder before loading up a handful to see how they shoot that morning.
Such a beautiful monster 👌 That big 370gr measured out at 1.00".
The other cast bullet is a 300gr WFN from the old Cast Performance company and the loaded round is a factory Remington 240gr SJSP and finally a photo next to my 9mm edc round for comparison.
Quick load shows 15gr H110 at 990' 26kpsi and 16gr H110 at 1067' 32kpsi in a 6" barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_4119.jpeg
    IMG_4119.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4121.jpeg
    IMG_4121.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 26
Looks like you can see the bullet base through the case wall. DANG, that's alot of lead. Might have to get me some!
You definitely can! I swung by the fun store with my dummy to be sure would chamber/fit in the cylinder before starting this evening's craft session.
1680 is supposed to be a little lighter with recoil than H110, but gives up 100+ fps. Gonna see how these rounds with 1680 feel before making a decision if I need to add more hot sauce. Planning to shoot some water jugs this weekend for a penetration experiment.

Last edited:
5 shot over the chrono gave me an average 805fps.
Way slower than expected but very consistent. Very interested to see how penetration on water jugs goes.
Actually, I think you'll be surprised at the penetration at a lower velocity. I've used Keith style 290gr hardcast SWC and they were outstanding at lower velocities for penetration in my 6.5" inch S&W M-29... Good luck Cheers

Actually, I think you'll be surprised at the penetration at a lower velocity. I've used Keith style 290gr hardcast SWC and they were outstanding at lower velocities for penetration in my 6.5" inch S&W M-29... Good luck Cheers

Agreed! In talking with several times with John Linebaugh, he through extensive testing, determined that a slower moving hard cast bullet of equal caliber/weight/metplat would penetrate deeper than the same bullet pushed at a much higher velocity.

I don't remember exactly what the numbers were. memtb

Agreed! In talking with several times with John Linebaugh, he through extensive testing, determined that a slower moving hard cast bullet of equal caliber/weight/metplat would penetrate deeper than the same bullet pushed at a much higher velocity.

I don't remember exactly what the numbers were. memtb
If I remember right, his thoughts were there negative affects at 1200+