44 Mag hunting bullet

Which projectile would you choose for hunting big game in the lower 48 inside 100 yards?

• 205gr Jack Hammer

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • 200gr Lehigh Raptor

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 300gr + WFNGC

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 33 41.8%

• Total voters
I picked up some Remington 240 gr SJSP at a gun show some years ago. Loaded over 23.8 gr H110 they have always been plenty for hunting deer and pigs. Most being DRT or only going a few yards.
The Jackhammers and CE Raptors are whispering to me to change though.

44 mag bullet (240 gr semi-jacketed soft point) recovered from whitetail doe. Still weighs 220.4 gr.

Attachments

• IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 25
I just discovered this mold! 🤯 Being a little limited due to a shorter cylinder length than the Freedom Arms and Ruger Blackhawk, I really like the dimensions and that monster meplat.
Looked at some load data and found a range of 1200-1400fps. I'm betting this would create quite the wound channel of destruction!
Dynamite in the berry patches and close range bear defense as a medium cast powder coated bullet or a true hard cast for that matter.

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 33
I've shot more than a few critters with a 240 -320 hardcast and have had great success. These days I'm leaning more toward the 320 grain with a large meplat. I use the same for my bear load. With 16.5 to 17 grains of 2400 it gives me right at 990-1000 fps second and complete penetration is the norm, even on big hogs. It doesn't beat me or the gun up.

My only problem with 2400, is that while it's usually accurate the brite white muzzle flash is distracting. 296 and H110 are also bad with the brite white. Medium to warm loads of 4227 tend to be orange in color and not as noticable... at least, it's ok until you get into the max loads when it too gets brite white. I'm not sure there are any powders available that will give top 357 & 44 Mag velocities without the brite white flash. While Accurate said their ball powders were "reduced" flash (as opposed to suppressed flash) hot loads of AA9 will flash just as brite as 2400 & 296, so that's down the tubes! I have loaded reduced loads in 44 Mag using IMR4227 under a 200 gr Speer Gold Dot that results in about 1200 fps and no visible flash at all. But since that bullet was designed for much lower velocity in the .44 Special, the 1200 fps works perfectly as a self/home defense round, although the .44 is not my first choice for that role.

I think a perfect, but no longer available, bullet for deep penetration and no expansion would be tge old Hornady 240 gr Silhouette bullet. Fortunately, I have a few of them all loaded up over a stout load of 296. I would carry those in bear country.
Cheers,
crkckr
Try blue dot if you can find it. I have never noticed a flash in my 8" Dan Wesson. Also I seem to pick up a few FPS . Just trying to be helpful. My Dan Wesson with a 250 grain Thompson style gas checked cast bullet will hold under 3" 5 shot groups @ 200 meters with factory sights.

Just found another bullet I may try and load up in this new sixgun. I figure a 370gr, even at 1,000fps is gonna travel completely through anything I point it at on this continent. The nose to crimp length of .38" should work with the shorter cylinder length of 1.68" on this revolver. Gives me about 0.010-0.015" for recoil. Looking forward to trying this combo out in the next couple of weeks!

Last edited:
I've killed a mule deer doe at about 20 yards with these bullets. DRT.
By the looks of this thread many love the XTP in different bullet weights.
Lots of choices for the 44 but I find it strange that the OP's choice is the bullet that only received 4 votes out of 70?
Not that it's a bad choice just not a very popular choice. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Maybe. He wasn't happy with what was available to him at the time. He might be open to the advances founded on his bullet design as well as all other aspects of handgun hunting. 😉
Agreed. It is difficult for me to switch from my current 44 load when I most often have bang-flop. But I am thinking about trying the Jackhammers or Raptors.

By the looks of this thread many love the XTP in different bullet weights.
Lots of choices for the 44 but I find it strange that the OP's choice is the bullet that only received 4 votes out of 70?
Not that it's a bad choice just not a very popular choice. 🤷🏿‍♂️
It would appear I'll have to try the XTPs flavor out after all the many comments about how well they do. 👌

Recent Posts