375 ultra mag

I have a 375 Lapua improved I built and then lost interest in due to dedicating all my shooting bandwidth to ELR. I have some 350 Lazers I need to run in that rifle and see what I can end up with.

It is throated very long, so velocity should be good even with a 26 in barrel.

I've got a few questions about rebarrelling a Remington 700 I have from 300 rum. I got it to learn the ropes of elr with until I burned the barrel out then rechamber it for something more purpose built. At the time I was thinking 338 edge, but recently I wondered if I could go to 37 caliber and found this gem of a thread. I'm hoping to get some guidance on my first dedicated elr(600 out to, well however far I care to carry the steel for a day) rifle.

When I bought the rifle, I had a range that was 3 miles long in a canyon, so I could run targets as far as I cared to hike. I had a 6.5 creedmoor that I had taken to 1400 and wanted something that would pick up where it left off. I am currently single feeding, so I'm not worried about fitting in a mag. I will be keeping the factory action and bolt. Weight, recoil, muzzle blast and noise are not a concern.

I'd like one of the improved cases, what's out there in terms of something that keeps the rum bolt face and will fit in a rum action in 37 caliber? I know I've seen a few (375 bme? I think was one?, 375 Tejas?) I don't mind ordering custom dies, but I'm sure there's already reamers floating out there that are what I'm after.

Speaking of reamers, I was thinking of running either the 350 smk(tried and true, will probably be available forever), the 352 cutting edge, or the 377 mtac. I'd like to be seated out as long as possible. So who would I get in contact with for a reamer(hopefully a Smith with the reamer to do the barrel job) to do the chambering and guidance as to how to throat it.

And to the barrel. I'm planning on a 30 ish finished length, plus brake. The part I'm stuck on is the twist. Cutting edge recommends a 1:9 twist if shooting the 377 transonic, the 352 would require a 10. The question I have is, is the 377 going to be too heavy to be useful? If I did go with a 9 twist, could I still shoot the smk's or 352's if I didn't like the 377? Would a gain twist be helpful?

I've still got plenty of time left till I shoot out the 300 barrel, so looking for ideas

Easy Button !
Hands down the 338 Edge ! I have been out to 3027 yards ( 1.72 miles ) with one of mine !
Run the 300 hr bergers of even set it up for one of the solids . Mine were 1/10 twist . I have one right now I been trying Re-33 in and it's almost done testing . I'm over 3000 ft.per.sec.

No experience with the 375 cal yet . I picked up a barrel to build a 375 Rum but it will be for Spring Bear hunting . Not Elr shooting .

Rum Man

The 338 edge is hard to beat! although a 30-34" 375 rum with gobs of free bore shooting the 390 A tip would probably do the trick also ..

The 350 SMK is mehhhh in comparison to the 350 lazer or 400 lazer, although my new favorite is the 390 A tip ...
Well Thanks!
Now I have to sell this 26" barrel I have for my 375 Rum ! 😎😎

Wait do you have this 34" 375 Rum you talk about setting in a Closet somewhere?? Ha ha

Rum Man

The 338 edge is hard to beat! although a 30-34" 375 rum with gobs of free bore shooting the 390 A tip would probably do the trick also ..

The 350 SMK is mehhhh in comparison to the 350 lazer or 400 lazer, although my new favorite is the 390 A tip ...
Yeah the 350 SMK is an “OK” projectile, believe I was running something like a .8 G1 BC. With the Atip I believe I ran a .96, totally different animal!

Yep, that's one of the threads that got me interested in it. I just don't know if there's just one reamer out there.

out of my 375 ct the 390 A tip is an animal

I wonder if a guy could get 2800 with it in a 375 RUM 🤔
Yes, you can. With the 390gr Atip, Norma brass, and N565/N570. ADG brass didn’t work for me. Pressured out early, got bolt click, and started getting signs of incipient case head separation at relatively low charge weights. Switched to Norma brass and all was well. Don’t need extra freebore. Sammi 375 RUM chamber was fine.

Yes, you can. With the 390gr Atip, Norma brass, and N565/N570. ADG brass didn’t work for me. Pressured out early, got bolt click, and started getting signs of incipient case head separation at relatively low charge weights. Switched to Norma brass and all was well. Don’t need extra freebore. Sammi 375 RUM chamber was fine.
It that 2820 that you're getting with the 390 a tip?