375 DCM, 375/408imp

Nice video, thanks for posting that RockyMountain! Also, Warner Tool is pretty much finished with their initial .375 cal offering.the .375 FlatLine is 361gr and the BC is looking to be a hair over 1.0 from their testing so far. The 180gr FTR Flatline in 30 cal was advertised as I believe .347 G7, it came out to .342 G7 in Bryan Litz' testing so they seem to be fairly consistent on their estimates.... I'm waiting to see their 150gr 7mm, which they say is pretty close to the BC of the Berger 180gr Hybrid.. :Dgun)

It's been awhile for this thread. Suns out, snows gone in the valleys thus time to awaken.

Need a little advice...

I'm one of those that will settle for 1/2 MOA and all the velocity I can get, thinking more velocity never hurts.

Retumbo & the SMK gets 1/2 MOA and 3250 with max pressure and short brass life.

RL-50, 147.5 gr - 395 Hammer Hunters gets better than 1/2 MOA w/3125 w/very low single digit ES.

When I HBN the Hammer Hunters I can't add enough RL-50, with the 30" barrel, to regain the velocity loss.
At this velocity the the big girl is kind of loafing along.

With a 10 twist barrel I can't go any heavier/longer than 395 HHs. Also my bore must be a "bit" over sized as CEB 350s and 377s won't stabilize beyond 800 yards.

I'm thinking "just a bit faster" powder but don't know where to start.

Each powder seems to act differently in different cartridges.

My "guess" list includes:
VV 20N29
VV 24N41

Some folks seem to get along with RL-33 in the unimproved 375 CT which seems to me, from loading it in other cartridges to be a bit on the too fast side?

OR should I simply settle for current performance as I head toward the summer activity of heading for King of Way Out There distances?

Tagging in. We will be getting a 375AM done for a customer this spring or so. We did and 8" twist barrel so that we can get a bit heavier if we see the need. If I remember correctly we will be finished at 31". So we will be in the same boat as Roy. We will probably look at the rl33 but will be looking forward to what you all come up with here.

Steve

Roy,
I think RL-33 would be worth a try, as it is the next step down (or up, however you want to look at it) from RL-50 on Alliant's burn rate chart. I use it in my Cheytac with 415 CEBs. I know they are a little different, but not that much. I also use it in my .338 Rum and Edge with great success with heavies.
Also, and not to take away from the Hammer bullets, Chinchaga has a 435gr bullet in .375 that they claim to stabilize in a 10' twist. That's what the owner Dale Janzen, told me in an email. He is on this site as DaleJ.
I asked him about their integrity as for fast muzzle velocity and tight twist, he said they should be fine. And I was asking about 3400+ fps and 7" twist with the 325 or 375 grainers.

It's been awhile for this thread. Suns out, snows gone in the valleys thus time to awaken.

Need a little advice...

I'm one of those that will settle for 1/2 MOA and all the velocity I can get, thinking more velocity never hurts.

Retumbo & the SMK gets 1/2 MOA and 3250 with max pressure and short brass life.

RL-50, 147.5 gr - 395 Hammer Hunters gets better than 1/2 MOA w/3125 w/very low single digit ES.

When I HBN the Hammer Hunters I can't add enough RL-50, with the 30" barrel, to regain the velocity loss.
At this velocity the the big girl is kind of loafing along.

With a 10 twist barrel I can't go any heavier/longer than 395 HHs. Also my bore must be a "bit" over sized as CEB 350s and 377s won't stabilize beyond 800 yards.

I'm thinking "just a bit faster" powder but don't know where to start.

Each powder seems to act differently in different cartridges.

My "guess" list includes:
VV 20N29
VV 24N41

Some folks seem to get along with RL-33 in the unimproved 375 CT which seems to me, from loading it in other cartridges to be a bit on the too fast side?

OR should I simply settle for current performance as I head toward the summer activity of heading for King of Way Out There distances?

RL33 would be worth a look, it is slower than Retumbo, faster than RL50 & H50BMG.

If you use RL33 to its fullist potential it can get pretty hard on throats, VV N570 is similar, all that performance comes at a cost.

I haven't used 24N41 in years

VV20N29 is slower than all of them

I use RL50 for everything from the 325 to 450s in my 375 DCMs

Been talking to Kirby who informed me that for the 375 AM and 400 class projectiles I'm doing pretty decent.

He said that 3100 was great and 3150 was excellent.

I'm at 3125 so I should be satisfied.

I tried RL-33 @ 130 grains w/the 393 HH and it was a bit too much. Fairly heavy bolt lift.

My load is 147.6 RL-50 and the 395 HH.

I jumped to, for some silly reason?, to 150gr RL-50 and the 394 HH and was way overboard on pressure.

More tests to day with the 394 HH w/0.444 G7 to see if it will stabilize in the 10 twist.

fun times for sure.

We shot Roy's rifle the other day out to 1300y with a new design 414g Hammer Hunter with great success. The change that we made to the baring surface looks to have cured the problem of full engagement in the rifling without "spinning out". We have a couple of different baring surface designs that we need to get out and test maybe this weekend.

Steve

Cant wait to see how the new bullets work out Steve.
For now I'll have to go after elk with the 375 grain Chinchagas @ 3150.
Oh, and the 236 grain Hammers in my "carry" rifle.o_O

Steve,

I'm kinda missing my "big gurl".
Looking forward to your final results.

Haven't been shooting much except for the air-gun.

Have a trophy bull in my backyard I've been messing with. Been fun playing tag. Have no desire to harvest him. I've found a new source of winter meat..."beef". LOL Got 5 head, a new dog to train herding 'em and a darn good horse to keep me off my feet.

Having fun.

Keep up the good work.

Roy...you're alive?!!!

Trophy bull and no desire to kill him, maybe you aren't!:D:D:D

I'm leaving next week for Colorado and taking the .375 with me. Trimmed the weight down to 16.5 lbs and started using Peterson brass, so had to adjust my load. Running the 375 grain Chinchagas @ 3150. Shot a 2" group at 800 right before dark yesterday evening, made a 1/2 moa adjustment for wind, and then smacked a 3" bullseye dead center while seated on my folding chair and rifle rested off on my tripod/shooting sticks setup. Called it quits and packed it up before the gremlins mounted an assault.

Oh Yeah, I'm alive... But getting old. Too many irons in the fire.

Sure looks like you and your rig are tuned and ready to go.

I've certainly gotta step up to Peterson brass. Kirby is doing some great things with Peterson brass and RL-33.

When Steve gets those super hoody projectiles perfected I'll be ready for about anything.

The existing 395 Hammer Hunters are darn fine but he teased me with some that shot 18" higher at 1k though weren't quite stable. No I can't seem to settle for less.....

Good luck on the hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.