375 DCM, 375/408imp

Cutting Edge Bullets actually has the 450 MTH and 452 MTAC listed on the site now..:Dgun)

Cool, shot the 450 Lazers in August last year & commissioned the 450 & 452 shortly after :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFJO3_bEsc

Unfortunately been really busy with my Terminator range of muzzle brakes & still waiting for my new Bartlein gain twist barrels so haven't done much at all since with the 375.

Just found out something interesting. The 425 and 450gr MTH are about the same price (+/- $2~) as the 350gr Lost River (Now Hooker Tactical I guess) solids... And for the .338s the 275gr MTH has a higher B.C than Hooker Tactical's listed B.C for the .338 270gr LRBT which was pretty much touted as the holy grail of .338 ELR bullets... Just thought this might be worth sharing and to hopefully kick up a little more activity in this thread :)gun):D

30-378 Orion

30-378 weatherby Orion 4385fps.jpg

4385 fps.jpg
I thought I would put this here as this cartridge is for ELR.

I have been firing my 375 DCM, 375/408 Cheytac improved for a little while so I thought it was time I put some info up about it.
The case was designed by a fellow Kiwi, Rocky Mountain, he also specified the barrel which is a 32" gain twist Bartlein 12-7.25.
We had been waiting for these barrels for ages, they were supposed to be here before last Christmas....:rolleyes:
She has an XLR HD Chassis, Barnard P-Chey action, 30 moa rail, Terminator muzzle brake, 5.5-22 x 56 NF NSX scope
I haven't managed to shoot any great distance with her yet, the weather hasn't been helpful & the fact that my usual LR range is closed due to forestry operations....:rolleyes:
I have decided to use the CE 425 pills that I asked Daniel at Cutting Edge to design & make for me in February this year, to use in the 375 Terminator & DCM.
I will do more testing with the 375s & 400s but I'm very happy with how the 425s are going :)
I haven't tested the BC of the 425 much yet but it did dial accurately out to 625 yards using 1.04 & I used 0.99 for the 400s out to 1700 yards in my 375 Terminator ( formerly Lil'Terminator)
Here is a picture of her at the range.
338NM375DCM008.jpg

I have designed the T5 Terminator muzzle brake for it which works very well.
338NM375DCM010.jpg

I have tried a few powders in her & have decided that even though US869 gives me more velocity the temperature sensitivity, ES & accuracy aren't what I'm happy with, so I'm using ADI 2218/Hodgdon 50BMG.
Here is a picture of a 338 Norma, 338 Lapua, 375 DCM, 425 Cutting Edge pill, 223 for size comparison.
375DCM425CE010.jpg

I am still only neck sizing my cases & they have been fired 4-5 times so far with very little head expansion :)
Here is a group at 217 yards.
375DCM425CE005.jpg

Here is one with another grain of powder.
375DCM425CE004.jpg

As you can see she is showing heaps of potential, the ES is pretty good & should be able to be improved upon.
We are happy with the speed & have been over 3100 but haven't settled on a load yet.
More fine tuning to do to see what see likes at distance, good times :cool:

Try a 30-378 Orion 150 gr NBT at 4385 fps

Re: 30-378 Orion

[QUOTE

Try a 30-378 Orion 150 gr NBT at 4385 fps[/QUOTE]

Try a 223 WSSM 40 gr VMAX at "4500 fps"

it's faster

Re: 30-378 Orion

Nice , 223 can stabilze , always liked 220 swift and 22-250 .
223 or 5.56 is a 200 yd p dog gun a 22-250 is a 400 yd gun and a 6mm is 425 yd pdog , all depends on what your target is and never over gunned only under gunned .

Nice rig Orion! Oh and here's a little info you may like Kiwi Greg... I was talking with Bryan Litz a couple months back about testing the heavier CEB .375s. He's just waiting for a new barrel and then the .375 lineup (including the 425 and 450gr class which I specifically asked about) will be tested. Be very interesting to see what he gets for results with the 425s and 450s. He's hoping mid to late summer to complete the testing, so we shall see where they stack up!

Nice rig Orion! Oh and here's a little info you may like Kiwi Greg... I was talking with Bryan Litz a couple months back about testing the heavier CEB .375s. He's just waiting for a new barrel and then the .375 lineup (including the 425 and 450gr class which I specifically asked about) will be tested. Be very interesting to see what he gets for results with the 425s and 450s. He's hoping mid to late summer to complete the testing, so we shall see where they stack up!

Sounds good, hopefully he gets at least a 7 exit twist.

I might get some 475s made to go with my 425 & 450s :)

Its been a little frustrating lately with all the BC revisions, makes his expensive books obsolete pretty quickly.

We shall see what twist he ends up with, from calculations I've done using the Berger Stability Calculator, that fast of a twist isn't exactly necessary 1-8.5 would do theoretically, but obviously the 7 exit twist works well!

475gr!? You trying to build a 375-416 Barrett or something!?? Haha, a 475- 500gr might make that worth looking into!

Yeah, I hear you on the BC revisions, I've quit using the books to look up BC figures and just solely use Applied Ballistics' Ballistic Calculator now, but even that has some inaccuracies (mainly bullet weight/ model name errors, so no big deal really).

We shall see what twist he ends up with, from calculations I've done using the Berger Stability Calculator, that fast of a twist isn't exactly necessary 1-8.5 would do theoretically, but obviously the 7 exit twist works well!

475gr!? You trying to build a 375-416 Barrett or something!?? Haha, a 475- 500gr might make that worth looking into!

Yeah, I hear you on the BC revisions, I've quit using the books to look up BC figures and just solely use Applied Ballistics' Ballistic Calculator now, but even that has some inaccuracies (mainly bullet weight/ model name errors, so no big deal really).

For ELR work you really need the faster twist to keep them stable, the 425s appear nose up & stable at 4K with 7.25 exit.

Brian said in his book a faster twist = higher BC, at ELR you need everything you can get. :)

Wow
You have done your homework and bench work .
You have every item covered the right length , barrel maker , gain twist , Bullet .
You hit on a few of my findings as we , as powder h870 quality is poor .
Try Vitavori N570 or other VV there quality is excellent and velocity as good as H870 or better.
Keep us informed , you are on the cutting edge of long range , thanks .

Interested in scopes and your thoughts at 1000 yds I need more than 25 power .
NF is heavy and poor glass quality .

Wow
You have done your homework and bench work .
You have every item covered the right length , barrel maker , gain twist , Bullet .
You hit on a few of my findings as we , as powder h870 quality is poor .
Try Vitavori N570 or other VV there quality is excellent and velocity as good as H870 or better.
Keep us informed , you are on the cutting edge of long range , thanks .

Thanks.

N570 is too fast for the heavier projectiles.

I used Retumbo with the 350s but RL50 gave better velocities & should be easier on the barrel.

RL50 seems to be the powder to use for the 375 CT improved, it gives better velocity that H50BMG.

VV 20N29 will work fine, certainly a better solution than N570

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.