375 DCM, 375/408imp

And this next question may make a few people laugh, but is there such a thing as a 375 cal, 425grain CE fed through a magazine, or is it strictly a single shot deal? I'd still like an action with a magazine even if I have to do a single round feed on the 425's, and who besides Stiller and BAT currently make actions for the 375 CT derivatives??

I've had a really hard time finding a fast twist 375 cal barrel.I have one ordered from Rockcreek with a 7 twist if they come through let you know.I would like to shoot the 400 and 425 CE bullets as well.The only problem is they can only do a 31" blank which will finish around 29".If they can't come up with it I'm torn between 338 snipetac and the 10 or 11 twist and the 350gr matchkings.Good luck with yours, let me know if you find a fast twist barrel.

As far as Bartlien, or rather Bartlein, not taking 375 barrel orders, does that apply to this group order of 375 barrels? Meaning, have they ok'd the group order with Bartlein already? I'd like to get in on it. I like the concept of the gain twist barrels, and I hear that commits a guy to shoot the lathe turned bullets cause at the higher velocities, the gain twist will strip the jacket off many a bullets. I am still learning.

They act like there isn't even a group order going on.Call them,they say there is only a few of us looking for thier gain twist barrels and its not worth thier time to make them when they can be making 6.5 and 30 cal barrels.They're a real pleasure to talk to,pretty sure I'll never own one after talking to them.To many other barrel makers out there

I don't think a 1 in 8 twist will work with the 400 and 425s.Another member i spoke with about them thats tested them didn't get to good of accuracy with them in a 1 in 8.

I don't think a 1 in 8 twist will work with the 400 and 425s.Another member i spoke with about them thats tested them didn't get to good of accuracy with them in a 1 in 8.

I have shot those weights in my Lilja 40" 1-9 no problem so far except my barrel is undersize at .365 instead of .366 internal so CEB made me undersized in bore-rider area projectiles.

I need to shoot it at 2000+ to confirm though.

A local with the same 1-9 twist Lilja barrel, (although his must be slightly bigger internally) has shot extremely well past 2500 with the std 425s.

Another local with a 1-8 Pacnor polygonal wouldn't shoot the 425s at all.

His bore is oversize & clearly isn't gripping the bearing surface of the projectiles enough.

The CEBs are different to conventional projectiles, the internal bore size needs to be right, a thou or so either way won't matter much, if at all with jacketed projectiles.

The easiest way to tell is to offer a CEB into a muzzle if the bore rider goes it nicely you are GTG, it should be a snug fit.

Won't fit :rolleyes:

Perfect :cool:

I hope that is helpful.

Kiwi,

May increased barrel life be expected when using Cutting Edge offerings versus swaged lead core bullets?

And, what's the anticipated bbl life in round count?

Thanks

Roy

Kiwi,

May increased barrel life be expected when using Cutting Edge offerings versus swaged lead core bullets?

And, what's the anticipated bbl life in round count?

Thanks

Roy

I have no idea on barrel life differences, that would be down to powder, velocity & heat.

No idea on barrel life but I guess it would be at least twice that of a 338 using the same size case.

My original must be up to 1500 rounds by now & is still shooting unbelievably well past 3k with the 425s

My original must be up to 1500 rounds by now & is still shooting unbelievably well past 3k with the 425s

That's good to hear.

Did some load checks with 350 SMKs and 353 brass tipped SMKs. W/140 grains of Retumbo the SMKs averaged 3282 and the 353s averaged 3327. Both loads left slight extractor marks.

Notes say 139 gr of Retumbo gives around 3225 FPS. Will use that rate for the brass pointed offerings for testing.

Have some 377 CEBs in the mail. Looking forward to how they perform...

First shots with the 377 CEBs

These bullets are very sweet to load. The "ring" takes all the fun out of it.:)

Loaded 3 with 139 gr of Retumbo and fired for effect.

Group was 1/4 MOA wide and 1+ MOA vertical speed.

However velocity averaged only a little over 3000 FPS MV. (With 350 SMK this load gives 3225 with no pressure signs.)

These three exhibited pressure sign by extraction and bolt lift. What I'm not certain of is these cases may have been fired "hot" previously. They were tough resizing and there was "some" pressure necessary to chamber them.

Maybe I should go with 50 BMG with this bullet? If so what would be a close starting load. Hate to waste any of these precious offerings.:D

Any tho'ts????

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts