375 Allen Mag vs these cartridges

30mm Vulcan Cannon

How does the 375 Allen Mag perform and compare ballisticslly to these cartridges-

338 Snipetac
375 Snipetac
375 cheytac
338 Allen Mag
338 Excalibur
338 Raptor
375-416 Barrett
338-408 big Baer

Out of all cartridges listed (including the 375 AM), which does best

1. Beyond 1000 yards?
2. Which is the flattest shooting?
3. Which one will perform best past 3000 yards?
4. Are any of these capable of dropping an elk or brown bear at 1000 yards?

Does the 375 AM top all eight cartridges I listed?

Last edited:
Hi,
Just based on powder capacity, I think they are all within about
5~10 grains of each other (I could be a little off), but the
Barrett has a LOT more powder, maybe as much as 50 grains more.

I have an an interest in the 375 Barrett, but Kirby Allen has
experimented with it and written about it. His review was a few
years ago; at that time the gist of what he said is that powder
technology/chemistry needed to produce a measurably slower
burning powder for the 375 Barrett to really work well.

Hope this helps a little !

Don't know for sure about some of the questions but im reasonably sure that plenty of guys have killed elk at 1000 yards with less gun than all those so on that note I think you will have more than enough power to do the trick as long as you put the bullet in the right spot.

Is 375 AM more powerful and supersonic to further distances than any of the rounds I listed? When I buy a custom rifle I want the absolute king of the hill, something of 375 bore size or less.

Ive heard the 375 AM is a bit hotter than the Snipetac. But again I want the king of the hill in accuracy, ballistics, and power.

I believe you would find a suitable powder for the 375 Barrett in Reloader 50. It has been very good in getting great results in my 50 Improved case over the other powders that were available before it came along.

Kirby no doubt was right on--then--but, today there's some really good stuff out there. Reloder 50 already mentioned, which is really turning into a good loading for my 338 Terminator, then there's Vihtavuori 20n29 and 24n41, and Hodgdon US869 might be of interest for the 375/416 Barrett. There's also powders from elsewhere that we can't get here... If so the Barrett is hand's down the fastest, load for load, but who knows about the most important factors--repeat-ability and accuracy consistently. There is a 375/50BMG out there too which uses the full 50BMG brass instead of an altered 50 as in the 375/416. There's always something bigger--and smaller--in the searches for extremes. In any case may your search be fun and satisfying!

Back in the day that I thought the 270 Allen Magnum would be the cats meow for anything I wanted to harvest here in Idaho I was more than impressed with what a 7mm Allen Mag actually did. With my 270 AM I felt under gunned. Thus for walk and stalk I carried the 338 RUM w/300 VLDs.

Desiring to satisfy my hankering for something that was big enough that I would never crave something bigger I made the leap to the 375 AM. Let me say that all yearning for bigger has been suppressed.

I too am somewhat left wanting for bullet selection that will bring the big girl into its own. There are some things coming down the pike that will satisfy that.

Being one to not settle for what's out there at the moment, I've fallen into making may own projectiles. Or, should I say I'm modifying existing offerings into something better.

After my big girl clearly reminded me that all rifles are unique in their tastes I learned that Retumbo is not the only powder for this cartridge.

Long story short, what's out there that is significantly bigger, better than a 353 grain bullet chugging along at 3325 FPS MV with an ES in single digits and no pressure signs except a very light click on bolt lift?

Case life increased significantly when I began testing US-869 and H-50 BMG shoveled in there to a few grains less than 160.

This rig is accurate enough for long-range to ELR for anything from PDs to elfalants.:)

Just tho't I'd chime in . . .

D
1. Beyond 1000 yards?
2. Which is the flattest shooting?
3. Which one will perform best past 3000 yards?
4. Are any of these capable of dropping an elk or brown bear at 1000 yards?

1. These guys are right the 416 case is larger, when set up and loaded correctly will have more velocity with higher BC projectiles.
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1....wait, what? You want to know if some of the most powerfully awesome cartridges that can fire super high BC projectiles (even ones designed for terminal performance) will kill an elk at 1000 yards? 2 minutes worth of reading on this site or even watching some YouTube video would answer all your questions. Most will be using "lesser" cartridges. These questions give me a good idea of what your experience level is.

D

1. These guys are right the 416 case is larger, when set up and loaded correctly will have more velocity with higher BC projectiles.
2. See #1
3. See #1
4. See #1....wait, what? You want to know if some of the most powerfully awesome cartridges that can fire super high BC projectiles (even ones designed for terminal performance) will kill an elk at 1000 yards? 2 minutes worth of reading on this site or even watching some YouTube video would answer all your questions. Most will be using "lesser" cartridges. These questions give me a good idea of what your experience level is.

I'm fully aware that they're using lesser cartridges. I really meant to say way beyond 1000 yards but I didn't word the question that well.

And I have done a lot of searching on the Internet for threads comparing the cartridges I listed. And I'm not worried about what you think my experience level is.

Most will be using "lesser" cartridges. These questions give me a good idea of what your experience level is.

I think something else is going on here, we be getting played gentlemen, or "trolled" in internet lingo !
something didn't add up but is clear now and I'm out ..........

I think something else is going on here, we be getting played gentlemen, or "trolled" in internet lingo !
something didn't add up but is clear now and I'm out ..........

You automatically assume I'm trolling because I ask a long drawn out question?

I simply want to know how the 375 AM compares to the the cartridges I listed. There is not a lot on the Internet because they're wildcat rounds.

You start three threads in your first few post asking almost the same thing. There are many threads here with the info covered. The APS web page has a bunch of info directly from Kirby. The questions you ask don't seem to match the capabilities your asking about. When you ask about shooting brown bears past 1000 yards your going get some skeptics.... The info is available with google searches and maybe a call to Kirby!

You start three threads in your first few post asking almost the same thing. There are many threads here with the info covered. The APS web page has a bunch of info directly from Kirby. The questions you ask don't seem to match the capabilities your asking about. When you ask about shooting brown bears past 1000 yards your going get some skeptics.... The info is available with google searches and maybe a call to Kirby!

1. I start 3 threads in my first day...because I've had these questions in mind for a long time and I want more clear cut answers, if that makes sense. I've done a lot of reading on threads but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for

2. I know all about the APS webpage. I know the velocities and such of the 375 AM. But I'm having a difficult time finding information on some of the other cartridges. And I wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with these rounds that they could share. Personal insight on the performance of these rounds is important besides just looking at an excel sheet with velocity and bullet drop with different weight projectiles

3. I said black bear, not brown bear.

4. I can only email him, he has no phone number listed. And I have emailed him.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.