My 338-06 saga

Rifle:
Remington 700 SS trued reciever
McGowan barrel with brake (24", 1-10t)
Bell and Carlson stock w/pilars
Rifle basix varmint trigger
Talley one piece rings/bases
Leica Amplus 2.5-15 x 50 i sfp moa/moa

I got this rifle from a fellow forum member here and have been wanting to get it dialed in forever. Life has a way ya know. anyway…..

I got some Lapua 30-06 brass and ran them through a Redding 338-06 FL sizer die set for minimal shoulder bump and I used WLR primers. I had an open box of 200 grain Hornady SST's so I used them for fire forming the cases. I chose Varget because I have lots of it and the previous owner got good results with it. I'm a Barnes fan so will probably switch to the 185 gr TTSX but for now I'm just glad to be shooting it.

Per Hornady data:
338-06
200 grain SST
Varget
Min 43.5
Max 57.3

I formed 20 cases with a charge of 52.0 grains. The rifle grouped decently and cases formed nicely. Time passed and when free time presented itself I decided to fiddle with seating depth. I loaded the same 20 cases, five each with 52.0 grains at 3.19", 3.24" 3.29", and 3.32". 3.32" was the clear winner.

I finally got around to running a pressure test and I also took velocity readings for the 20 shots using my magnetospeed v3. Using the same brass as before, I started at 52.5 grains and increased charge weight by .3 grains ending at 57.6. I went .3 grains over book max to find pressure planing to back off to the highest velocity/accuracy node. I got a light mark on the last three cases but no sticky bolt lift. The temperature was in the mid to high 80's.

The velocity spread was 25-26 fps increase per .3 grain increase with a few flat spots.

56.1 - 2866 fps
56.4 - 2872 fps
56.7 - 2869 fps
57.0 - 2873 fps

I believe this is where I want to fine tune but I'm fairly new to basing load work up on velocity. The barrel has approximately 260 rounds through it. I'm going to attach pictures of the raw chronograph data and the last few cases with ejector swipe (or whatever it is). Please comment on the data!
IMG_2568.jpeg
IMG_2569.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg

IMG_2602.png

Last edited:
When you look at the energy and drop charts for this cartridge, 2 bullets stand out. First is the Barnes 185gn TTSX which can hover around 3000fps or a tad more according to some and where that bullet falls short (if it ever does), the 225gn TTSX seems to be the best of the all rounders carrying a lot of energy and viable trajectory out to most people's maximum hunting range of a quarter mile.
If I had taken my game and was walking out in bear counter, I'd likely carry a few cartridges loaded with 250gn Partitions just for the comfort.

For me, this cartridge would shine in a Winchester Featherweight with the MacMillan synthetic Featherweight stock. I still have a new, unused one, though I did have a Limbsaver pad installed a dozen years back.

Please continue with your findings.

Looks like from the pics there is ever so slight ejector print on a few of these or could just be me. Mine has a rough bolt face (Savage) so could be the same for yours unless they faced it when they trued it. If you take the highest velocity you have listed and the one before you had any marks, plug them into a calculator, you may only lose 75 yards of performance.

I have a 338 Sherman, so similar to yours. With my best accuracy on both high and low ends, that's what mine works out to. These cartridges really run out of steam about 600 yards. I am not sure I would want to shoot a Barnes that far in one of them.

I also think the improved versions really mask pressure more than others. Case life is probably where you will find out it you are pushing it...FWIW.

Good looking rifle BTW.

Norma 338-06 headstamp brass, unfired
210 TTSX
StaBall 6.5
2663 fps average in last week's test
0.74 inches at 200 yards

Next is verifying the sweet spot with once-fired brass.
The StaBall 6.5 seems to work much better with the 210 than other powders I had tried previously.

Looks like from the pics there is ever so slight ejector print on a few of these or could just be me. Mine has a rough bolt face (Savage) so could be the same for yours unless they faced it when they trued it. If you take the highest velocity you have listed and the one before you had any marks, plug them into a calculator, you may only lose 75 yards of performance.

I have a 338 Sherman, so similar to yours. With my best accuracy on both high and low ends, that's what mine works out to. These cartridges really run out of steam about 600 yards. I am not sure I would want to shoot a Barnes that far in one of them.

I also think the improved versions really mask pressure more than others. Case life is probably where you will find out it you are pushing it...FWIW.

Good looking rifle BTW.

Yes the last three have an ejector mark, faint then getting more noticeable. It's not terrible compared to a few other load recipes in some of my other chamberings but it's there. I'm not a true speed freak so I usually don't push the velocity too hard. I hunt in Indiana and my furthest possible shot is 300 or maybe 400 yards.

True about the brass life. I noticed that my velocity was a little higher than some book data so I reread the conversation with the original owner…. Turns out it's throated a bit longer. He said that the 230 gr ELD-X could be loaded out to 3.55" and that they were .010" off the lands. He said that the 210 TTSX and Varget produced sub moa groups at 2750 with Hornady 06 brass with no signs of pressure.

I ran the numbers for the 57.6 load… 2930 fps = 3813 ft lbs at the muzzle. Looked at more book data and compared the info for the 338-06 vs 338 Win Mag and then against my data and started scratching my head… until I went back over our conversation and saw it was throated longer.

I have 185, 210, & 225 gr TTSX, some 230 ELD-X's, the 200gr SST's, & a couple boxes of 225 gr Accubonds. I also have some 250 gr Speer bullets as well. My plan is to finish up development on the 200gr SST and fire form more brass with them and start to work up a load with the 185 gr TTSX and Varget.

IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_2595.jpeg
IMG_2596.jpeg
IMG_2600.jpeg

Last edited:
Norma 338-06 headstamp brass, unfired
210 TTSX
StaBall 6.5
2663 fps average in last week's test
0.74 inches at 200 yards

Next is verifying the sweet spot with once-fired brass.
The StaBall 6.5 seems to work much better with the 210 than other powders I had tried previously.

That's sweet! Great accuracy… Christian, the guy I got this rig from said he used Norma 338-06 head stamped brass but he hit pressure early since it's soft that's why I went with Lapua 06 brass.

It's definitely got some mustard!!! My brother in law lives out west and friends live in Texas. I might be able to use it for longer range but I've got some other rigs equally or better suited. I am an accuracy nut along with being an odd ball cartridge guy lol.

Neat old round, I've had one for 21 years or so. Built it for an elk rifle, it does that job very well.

My fav loads were built around the 200 NBT and the 250 Nosler Partition. Generally use H4350 or R17.

Mainly I've used Wby cases and 210M's

The 180 NBT is incredibly freaking accurate, the 185 TTSX is fine but in no way an accuracy rockstar. I find 3K to be top end for the 180. And 2900 is much more sane.

Mine weighs 8 lbs "all up" (scope, sling, rounds). I don't have any interest in carrying something heavier than that in the mountains.

Fun round

Neat old round, I've had one for 21 years or so. Built it for an elk rifle, it does that job very well.

My fav loads were built around the 200 NBT and the 250 Nosler Partition. Generally use H4350 or R17.

Mainly I've used Wby cases and 210M's

The 180 NBT is incredibly freaking accurate, the 185 TTSX is fine but in no way an accuracy rockstar. I find 3K to be top end for the 180. And 2900 is much more sane.

Mine weighs 8 lbs "all up" (scope, sling, rounds). I don't have any interest in carrying something heavier than that in the mountains.

Fun round

I have H4350 and was thinking about comparing it with the Varget... I'm really liking the round and rifle. The scope is really nice too. There's just something about the medium bores!!

Recent Posts