300 Norma Mag - 220gr Hornady ELD-X loads???

So you took the "highly unpopular and unused" cartridge and changed it...

because it was too mainstream?
I have a standard 300nm and my improved is almost done. Very simple process of load/shoot with new lapua brass and you have perfect brass. My smith sells dies with the rifles, he's built close to 50 now. A 215 Berger at 3300fps from a 26" barrel before he saw pressure signs is pretty amazing. I recommend getting lapua brass if possible, it's very high quality.

I have a standard 300nm and my improved is almost done. Very simple process of load/shoot with new lapua brass and you have perfect brass. My smith sells dies with the rifles, he's built close to 50 now. A 215 Berger at 3300fps from a 26" barrel before he saw pressure signs is pretty amazing. I recommend getting lapua brass if possible, it's very high quality.
My shoulder hurts just thinking about shooting that...I had to get a 223 because my 270 wasn't enjoyable.

My shoulder hurts just thinking about shooting that...I had to get a 223 because my 270 wasn't enjoyable.
High quality 5 port muzzle brake goes a long way. The rifles aren't light weights either, 8-8.5# bare, 10#+ loaded with optics. Not too bad at all.

Last edited:
why buy Hornady brass when LAPUA is making brass for that round now.
It's almost impossible to find, I found some out of Canada 6 months ago, now most the supply up there has been bought up by us gringos. Only way is to buy Berger ammo, odd......now that nammo owns berger/lapua/vihtavuori. Cornering market even though they deny it.

So you took the "highly unpopular and unused" cartridge and changed it...

because it was too mainstream?

I knew exactly what I wanted to get out of the round using 230gr bullets at ELR. Takes an improved version to achieve what I am going for.

Dont care about "mainstream or popularity". That crap is for high school children. Grow up

I am a little late to this thread, but I figured that I would put my load data out there since I have had a horrible time trying to find much information myself. I am using norma brass, with hornady 220 eld-x bullets and H1000 powder out of a 22" Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. I have been using 84.2 grains and getting 2864 fps on my five round group. I had tried one load group at 84.6 but I didn't like the 5 shot grouping so I never tested it for speed. I am thinking about tinkering a little to get to the 2950-3000 range right now but I haven't been able to find any good load data from others to go off of yet. I am new to all of this so a bit hesitant without other's load data.

I am a little late to this thread, but I figured that I would put my load data out there since I have had a horrible time trying to find much information myself. I am using norma brass, with hornady 220 eld-x bullets and H1000 powder out of a 22" Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. I have been using 84.2 grains and getting 2864 fps on my five round group. I had tried one load group at 84.6 but I didn't like the 5 shot grouping so I never tested it for speed. I am thinking about tinkering a little to get to the 2950-3000 range right now but I haven't been able to find any good load data from others to go off of yet. I am new to all of this so a bit hesitant without other's load data.
Which cartridge?

You're not going to see 3k fps with 220s in a 22" Norma . Enjoy your 2864 until you run out of 220s and then switch to 215s, 230s or 225s. The 220s are a low BC , long bearing surface bandaid for short mag boxes .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts