300 Norma Mag - 220gr Hornady ELD-X loads???

Globalstar66

Hello guys.

I just took delivery of a new long range hunting rifle in 300 Norma Mag. Bartlein 26" barrel with a 1-8" twist.

I bought some 220gr Hornady ELD-X bullets, and wanted to get some loads developed, only to find that neither Hornady nor Hodgdon have ANY data for 300 Norma. I called Hodgdon today to ask about it, and was told "sorry, it's an unused and highly unpopular cailber, so we do not do any load data for it".... I almost choked. So I called Hornady, and was basically told the same thing, although he didn't try to persuade me that it was an "unknown" caliber like the guy at Hodgdon.....

Anyway, does anyone have any decent load data for the 220gr Hornady ELD-X for a 300 Norma? I have seen some people mention that got great results from H1000 and RL33. I have a bunch of powders, but not RL33...

Any help would be appreciated. Looking for a hunting load.

Thanks

Rob.

I have you contacted Berger to see if they have load data for the 300 NM for whichever grain of bullet you want to try? I know it is not Hornady, but maybe you can get some data on there bullets to help come up with a starting load,etc.

Yep, call Berger and ask for Phil or Corey they WILL get back to you with load data for the powders you are thinking of using.

Try IMR 8133 if looking for good speeds with heavy bullets. Burns clean and good temp stability. Best speeds will probably be found with RL33 but it burns pretty dirty and is more temp sensitive than IMR's new "Enduron" powder line

Dont know about 220gr bullets, I have a 300 Norma Improved and H1000 is just a little too fast for my 230gr bullets. H1000 starts pressuring out earlier with slower speed than IMR 8133 and RL33.

Hello guys.

I just took delivery of a new long range hunting rifle in 300 Norma Mag. Bartlein 26" barrel with a 1-8" twist.

I bought some 220gr Hornady ELD-X bullets, and wanted to get some loads developed, only to find that neither Hornady nor Hodgdon have ANY data for 300 Norma. I called Hodgdon today to ask about it, and was told "sorry, it's an unused and highly unpopular cailber, so we do not do any load data for it".... I almost choked. So I called Hornady, and was basically told the same thing, although he didn't try to persuade me that it was an "unknown" caliber like the guy at Hodgdon.....

Anyway, does anyone have any decent load data for the 220gr Hornady ELD-X for a 300 Norma? I have seen some people mention that got great results from H1000 and RL33. I have a bunch of powders, but not RL33...

Thanks

Rob.
I wonder what Hornady is expecting people, that buy their 300 Norma brass, to do for load data?

There's data out there, but the only "published" loads I know of are on the Norma website. If you dont use Norma powders, that data is not a ton of help unless you know how to make your own load recipes using a burn rate chart.

There's plenty of 'forum load data' out there. But you use it at you own risk.

Otherwise contact Berger as others suggested

I use MRP in my Norma and get 2995 to a bit over 3000 with 80 grains and a 225 ELD-M, and Norma brass

Attachments

• IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    903.6 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    903.6 KB · Views: 401
Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

I ordered some Vihtavuori N570 yesterday, and will call Berger today. I have H1000 powder that I could use, but Norma and RL33 is not available in Canada at the moment....

I appreciate all your suggestions and help. Will also look into IMR8133.

Much appreciated.

I'm in Canada, and it's mostly available here. Got it online from a place called Tesro Canada. US$78 for 2.2 pounds

Hello guys.

Thanks

Rob.
I would....did...start with 87 GRS. H1000. No pressure signs

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.