284 Winchester For Hunting

284 Win works great! Short action Stiller predator, Grayboe Terrain, Hawkins BM, Bartlein 3B 24 inch, NXS. Petersons brass is awesome! Buddy used the same rifle to shoot his mule deer at 460. Not liking the Hammer Hunters through it but the 160 accubonds are real nicešŸ‘ Buck was at 360 and doe was at 480.
What is it you don't like about the hammers? Also which bullet did you try? I was thinking of trying the 120 or 131 HH.

I tried the 143. I first don't like the fact that I need to crimp them to keep them in place for a hunting rifle. Second is they where finicky loading compared to the Accubonds. Every time I would get the hammers to shoot and try crimping it would throw everything out of wack. And three they gave me some pressure issues when Loading at a moderate load even without crimping. Accuracy was around 1 MOA so went back to the Accubonds and that went back to 1/4 MOA. I see many on here like them but they are not for me. Wanted to try a lead free bullet but guess I'll have to stay away from lead free hunting areas. Tried them in my 338 RUM as well and could only get them to shoot well at real high velocity. Will be going to Berger Hybrids instead.

Thanks. I've had good luck so far but only in two rifles. The 124 HH in a 6.5x47 and the 154 dead blow in a 280 AI. 8-10 rounds rounds to find pressure and good to go. I plan on switching more guns to the hammers. But I realize they're not for everyone and you have to shoot what you're gun likes.

Been shooting the 284 in bolt actions since 1984. Have had quite a few but still keeping the original a rebarreled Ruger tang safety formerly a 6mm Rem. It has been rebarreled several times. Sits in a long time discontinued McMillan ultralight stock. Have killed a ton of coues wt, javelina and a few elk with it not to mention many jackrabbits and coyotes. In the past have used 140 partition, 150 partition, 160 partition, 140 Sierra gameking, 100 gr and 120 gr original X bullets, and 140 accubond. The168 Berger VLD hunting bullet and the Nosler 120 ballistic tip are the two currently loaded for this rifle.

It mostly goes on varmint and calling outings these days with the 120 NBT.

RL-17 yields the most velocity, H4350 another excellent choice.

I have 3 284 wins one browning a bolt purchased in 1984. original barrel lasted for 6000 rounds before it finally reached 1 1/4" groups and then I sent it to Brown Precision for a shillen #3. The rifle returned to 1/4" groups and really liked Barnes TSX bullets in 140 Gr. The other two 284s are a Herters U9 with a target stock and a limited run Model 70 from the mid 90's. The both shoot well but not spectacular. I have put another 5000 rounds thru the a bolt and the groups are about 1" now. I was gonna ship it back to Mark for another shillen, but on the advice of a friend, bought an X bolt in 280AI. The rifles fit and finish is very good for a factory rifle and groups have been under 3/4" with very little tuning. For under $1K, or about the price of a shillen installed. It gives about 50 to 75 FPS more velocity than the 284, but needs an inch or two of additional barrel length to do so. Brass is easily made and heavier bullets fit nicely in the long browning clips. Feeding issues are non existent with the long sleek 280 AI cases. I now have another x bolt in 280 AI and I picked up one for my son in law. The 3 - 284s are probably goona sit in the back of the safe for awhile!!!

I realize this thread is over a year old but I just wanted to share some 284 Winchester love. I built one for my wife to take elk hunting it's a sweet little rifle that weighs in at 7lbs even ready to hunt with scope and everything. I started by fireforming some brass to get the first 100 round through it to let the barrel settle in. I had a couple boxes of 160gr game kings that a friend gave me so I decided to use them for the task. I was surprised when I fired an initial pressure ladder and all 10 rounds wound up in two separate 1/2" 5shot groups one about 1" higher than the other. I ran a OCW test and every group was 1/2" so I picked the one in the middle and went shooting. I had no problem banging steel out to 600yds and ended up using it for a deer hunt this year. The old school inferior bullet design really impressed me when I watched the deer drop in my scope at 350yds. The BC is actually not that bad for an old school lead tipped bullet. Sierra claims.470 g1 and that played out well with my ballistic calculator and real world drops. I'm actually really happy with the little 284 Winchester, it's like hitting the easy button for load development and recoil was really not bad at all. I might have to build my wife a different rifle and keep this one.šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• F8E10C4E-6733-4957-A82F-A621AAB25FC1.jpeg
    F8E10C4E-6733-4957-A82F-A621AAB25FC1.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 28
I realize this thread is over a year old but I just wanted to share some 284 Winchester love. I built one for my wife to take elk hunting it's a sweet little rifle that weighs in at 7lbs even ready to hunt with scope and everything. I started by fireforming some brass to get the first 100 round through it to let the barrel settle in. I had a couple boxes of 160gr game kings that a friend gave me so I decided to use them for the task. I was surprised when I fired an initial pressure ladder and all 10 rounds wound up in two separate 1/2" 5shot groups one about 1" higher than the other. I ran a OCW test and every group was 1/2" so I picked the one in the middle and went shooting. I had no problem banging steel out to 600yds and ended up using it for a deer hunt this year. The old school inferior bullet design really impressed me when I watched the deer drop in my scope at 350yds. The BC is actually not that bad for an old school lead tipped bullet. Sierra claims.470 g1 and that played out well with my ballistic calculator and real world drops. I'm actually really happy with the little 284 Winchester, it's like hitting the easy button for load development and recoil was really not bad at all. I might have to build my wife a different rifle and keep this one.šŸ˜‚
Arguably, the .284 win. is at the top of the list as an efficient, do all cartridge without the "unnecessary" horsepower. I'm just a little jealous as Iv'e been wanting to build a .284 also, most likely on a Tikka action.

I know an older fella, former pastor of mine actually, who can only handle a certain amount of recoil AND rifle weight on account of physical limitations. When he was 18 he flew off a toboggan (not a euphemism for a snowmobile, an actual toboggan that you slide down hills on for fun) at high speed and landed on a frozen mole hill that broke his spine. He's had many surgeries since, and a lifetime of being very familiar with pain.

Anyways, he's taken darn near everything with his ultralight 284 Winchester. I forget who makes it off the top of my head. But he wanted to shoot as powerful a gun as he reasonably could out of the lightest and handiest rifle possible on account of his very bad back. In his mind the .284 Winchester is the PERFECT gun for him and you won't change his mind. He practically sleeps with that thing! šŸ¤£

He's also a die hard Barnes bullets fan. For pretty much everything in the continent (no bison or Kodiak or polar bears but everything else he's taken cleanly I think) he's found the .284 Winchester loaded with the 140 grain Barnes tsx isn't marginal at all, he praises those bullets haha.

Pretty partial to Barnes bullets myself, don't blow up an unnecessary amount of meat and no worries regarding lead fragments. Here's a pic of the 145gr LRX from my sons Mule deer last week.
Got some Barnes flowers of my own haha.

A 75 grain 6mm Barnes X (not tsx, the old school ungrooved X bullet) and a 100 grain .257 tsx. Not recovered from deer thoughā€¦but from a snowbank haha. We have to use monos to hunt the snowbanks here in Saskatchewan as the lead core bullets will just bounce off šŸ¤£

Impacted the packed snow at over 3300 fps in both cases.

1701226471773.jpeg

I have had a Browning A-Bolt Micro Medallion in .284 Winchester since the 90's. Awesome little rifle. Killed my first bear and a bull elk within it using 145 grain Speer Grand Slam bullets. My son took his first antelope with it. Great cartridge.

Recent Posts