284 Winchester For Hunting

I have a "new" 284 built on a commercial Mauser action with a Bartlein 2b and a gorgeous wood stock. Unfired so far but planning to shoot only 140's to 160's. I have a 7 STW for the "heavys"...
P8180004.JPGP8180005.JPGP8180006.JPG

Friend of mine has back issues (broke his spine when he was 18 landing on a frozen molehill while sledding - not the motorized kind, the downhill kind). Can't carry a long or especially heavy gun too far. Can't take excessive beating recoil wise. The .284 in a 20 inch barrelled gun proved perfect for him and he swears by it. I think he's in love haha. He also swears by the Barnes 140 tsx, all he ever uses and never a hiccup. Deer, elk, moose, bear, all easy one shot kills with no fuss for him.

My question is "why"...your AI will do anything it can do, you'd be better off with a 7mm rem mag, IT'S about the same thing, no animal will ever know the difference and there's far less anxiety and expense finding components...

My question is "why"...your AI will do anything it can do, you'd be better off with a 7mm rem mag, IT'S about the same thing, no animal will ever know the difference and there's far less anxiety and expense finding components...
"Why"...? I'd guess, like most of us, because he wants to and can. Practicalities be damned.

8X68s:

Do you know where that stock came from? Very nice! By "where it came from," I'm wondering if it is from one of the commercial retailers of stocks.

Last edited:
8X68s:

Do you know where that stock came from? Very nice!
local, privately online (no source info)... I get lucky once in awhile. I have been keeping a look out for that sort of thing as most people are using/searching out the all weather synthetics and the woodies are just lying around for the taking, usually fairly cheap. I did have to refinish it.

Last edited:
I almost dropped the hammer on a Mike Bryant Custom long action 6.5-284 hunting rifles today but already have a couple of nice ones in the same caliber.
It's a heck of a deal if anybody looking for one. Comes with Redding Match die set and 110 or so new Lapua cases.
The guy had 3 of Mike's rifles and is selling this under 100 round mint rifle to have him build a 260 .
Heck of a deal!
Just thought I'd mention it since we're on the 284 topic.
PM me if interested and I'll give you good on the build list.

I have a new .284 Win on a Pierce Ti short action with McMillan A3 carbon stock, 24" fluted Lilja barrel, purely for hunting. Still to use it for its intended purpose. If your gunsmith has a reamer then consider a .284 Shehane. It's an extra 3.4gr in capacity. My smith didn't unfortunately. Lapua are now manufacturing new brass in .284 Win, got a couple of hundred the other day.

284 Win works great! Short action Stiller predator, Grayboe Terrain, Hawkins BM, Bartlein 3B 24 inch, NXS. Petersons brass is awesome! Buddy used the same rifle to shoot his mule deer at 460. Not liking the Hammer Hunters through it but the 160 accubonds are real nice👍 Buck was at 360 and doe was at 480.

Attachments

• 546C7ABE-2C7D-4FDF-AB6A-DA369CCD0146.jpeg
    546C7ABE-2C7D-4FDF-AB6A-DA369CCD0146.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 9C1C767D-610F-44B7-8EFC-F12BEEED53FF.jpeg
    9C1C767D-610F-44B7-8EFC-F12BEEED53FF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
I've been hunting a new ultralight arms . 284 for a couple years now. Mine shoots 160 Accubonds moa with H4832sc,and 168 matchkings half moa or better with H4350. Have shot 3 elk at 20-380 yards with the Accubonds, including a coyote last month at 532 yards. Going to try H4350 with the Accubonds. Love the rifle and would feel confident shooting elk to 500 yards with it.

Sometimes I just like something a bit different. Some years ago I picked up a lovely old M-77 tang safety Ruger in .243. I never could get that thing to shoot, so I thought I'd re-barrel to something a bit more interesting. I had a old no. 2 contour Douglas Air Gauge 24" 7mm barrel with a 1 in 9 twist so I started considering options for a short action round compatible with my barrel. I always considered the 284 Win. a bit of an underrated cartridge, so I thought I'd see for myself what it had to offer. 120 gr. Barnes TTSX at 3200 fps is a very flat shooting killer of any deer size game. Elk have fallen to a 140 gr. TTSX with utter reliability. But the best all around game stopping bullet I tried is the old 160 gr. Nosler Partition @ 2850 fps. The rifle wears its original stock that I pillared, glass bedded, and free-floated. The trigger is a Timney, and the scope is a very early Leupold 4.5x14. All bullets will group into .75 or less if I do my part. The only difficulty I encountered was the short magazine box. With a little work I was able to increase its length to 3.0". While the short magazine did not hinder the accuracy of Barnes bullets, the change was necessary to get the Nosler's to shoot. All in all a very lovely little rifle that kicks like gerbil, drops game with authority, and is more than accurate enough for my hunting needs. I would encourage anyone with hankering for something a bit different to give this old round a try.

One guns too many, and a thousand is not enough!

WOW, I assume you know what ANY M88 in 284 is worth? That is a major score!

The Savage 99 guys go crazy for the 284 also, it's the one missing from almost every collection. My dad has one, a 99F, very rare.
I have savage model 99 250-3000 made in 1918 with the nicest wood I've ever seen on a savage, it's very cool, still shoots but velocity is not there !
Yes I'm aware of the Win 88 worth especially in 284, this one would be special to have as the fellow that owns it was my mentor to becoming a ships pilot.
My go to hunting rifle is a 280 AI built on a Defiance anTi action, 23 inch #1 fluted Benchmark, Wildcat Stock, just thought I would like to try a 284 Winchester.
My gunsmith said the same thing, why ? 🤷‍♂️

I have savage model 99 250-3000 made in 1918 with the nicest wood I've ever seen on a savage, it's very cool, still shoots but velocity is not there !
Yes I'm aware of the Win 88 worth especially in 284, this one would be special to have as the fellow that owns it was my mentor to becoming a ships pilot.

My go to hunting rifle is a 280 AI built on a Defiance anTi action, 23 inch #1 fluted Benchmark, Wildcat Stock, just thought I would like to try a 284 Winchester.
My gunsmith said the same thing, why ? 🤷‍♂️
He should have replied: Why not