270 win 130gr vs 140gr vs 150gr

Back when I had a .270Win, I had a 130 NBT load for deer @ 3150, and a 150 VLD load for elk @ 3020. Both shot equally well.

Once I actually started LEARNING about ballistics and terminal performance, I only loaded the 150s. We killed a lot of game with it over the years. Deer and elk. A lot of first kills too. Including my Dad's first deer.

I honestly do not know what that means.

FEENIX, I guess that I'm not certain about what you mean!

If you're suggesting that ft/lbs energy was a significant factor in the quick death of that moose…..I'm not convinced!

Several years ago I shot an elk at around 50 yards, broadside, behind the shoulder…..no visual indication of a hit. He continued walking, though at a slightly increased pace, for a few yards then tipped over.

If ft/lbs energy were so significant ……I suspect that the 5000+ ft/lbs energy that was applied to my little (as in comparison to the moose) elk was much greater ft/lbs of energy applied to that moose @ 890 yards! Then if you "guestimate" the weight differential between my elk and that moose, factor in the ft/lbs energy difference between the two bullets at impact….. I suspect that my elk absorbed about 3X the ft/lbs energy as did the moose.

So I contend that bullet energy (ft/lbs) transfered to big game animals from a conventional, shoulder fired hunting rifle is rather insignificant.

If the energy remains the same, and the animal is substantially larger….I contend that ft/lbs energy is substantially/comparatively "less" important!

Perhaps we can agree on this point……if/when a bullet destroys vital organs, cutting/tearing arteries/vessels, that animal will quickly expire due to a significant drop in blood pressure. That significant drop in blood pressure, will cause "said animal" to "tip over"…..just like in the video.

I strongly suspect however, ft/lbs energy had little to do with the disruption of arterial blood flow. When the brain is deprived of oxygen…..the animal will pretty quickly collapse. If the animal is excited/stimulated, and the blood highly oxygenated……said animal will remain standing a bit longer! memtb