26 Nosler or 300 Win Mag

This is just using factory ammo: nosler's factory ammo data for the 26 Nosler - 142 gr ABLRs are showing up at 500 yards with 2355 ft lbs of energy. The 300 win mag hornady precision hunter load with the 200 gr eldx shows 2279 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. I know those are factory loads, and I am sure some hand loads for each will change the numbers a little. The reality is both have similar energy at 500 yards thanks to the velocity of the 26 nosler. If he shoots the 26 nosler a little better thats what he should shoot.

Energy does not kill. Bullet SD and velocity kill and momentum has a much larger role in penetration than energy. I would never use a neutered factory 300 WM loaded at the ridiculous 3.4" spec in comparison to modern case designs. That is picking and choosing to attempt to tip the scales in your direction. If you want I can make a 6.5cm look better on paper than a rum so that argument is nonsensical. This very argument is what has giving the 6.5CM a bad rap. People trying to make it out to be the next coming of Jesus. It is a great cartridge but it is not a long range elk cartridge. I guarantee the 6.5 swede has killed tons of moose and elk but that does not mean it is the best option. Good luck to the op in making the ethical decision I am out.

We will have to agree to disagree. The 6.5 does not kill like a 30 especially when the shooter makes an error and makes a less than optimal shot placement. I am a huge small caliber guy but when it comes to larger game the 30 kills faster at a far higher percentage rate.

Thats just BS dude - its your personal opinion, it isn't a fact. You stating it like a fact is a huge diservice to the hunting community. Its comments like that that cause new hunters to go by a big 300 magnum and take **** poor shots because the flinch.

the numbers don't lie with regards to energy from the 26 Nosler. They look pretty good at 1000 yards too. The 300 win mag doesn't make up for shooting error any more than a smaller caliber. Thats what people tells themselves tho. I've seen lost of elk run away from guys shoot big magnums.

Also, before anybody claims I am a hater of the 300 mags, I have two of them - a 300 wby and a 300 ultra mag. The 26 Nosler would be a good choice, especially if the OP shoots it better.

Energy does not kill. Bullet SD and velocity kill and momentum has a much larger role in penetration than energy. I would never use a neutered factory 300 WM loaded at the ridiculous 3.4" spec in comparison to modern case designs. That is picking and choosing to attempt to tip the scales in your direction. If you want I can make a 6.5cm look better on paper than a rum so that argument is nonsensical. This very argument is what has giving the 6.5CM a bad rap. People trying to make it out to be the next coming of Jesus. It is a great cartridge but it is not a long range elk cartridge. I guarantee the 6.5 swede has killed tons of moose and elk but that does not mean it is the best option. Good luck to the op in making the ethical decision I am out.
I was just using factory ammo that was available in my strelok pro app bro - tweak them however you want, it won't take away from the adequacy of the 26 nosler at 500 yards for elk.

You are right - bullet choice is important:rolleyes:o_O

Man you sucked me back in. I never said it was not adequate. Quite the contrary. I think we all know what adequate means. If I need a 1" wrench I want a 1" wrench, preferably the box end. I do not want the crescent. All I can say is it is a good thing we have choices. Happy New Years!

Man you sucked me back in. I never said it was not adequate. Quite the contrary. I think we all know what adequate means. If I need a 1" wrench I want a 1" wrench, preferably the box end. I do not want the crescent. All I can say is it is a good thing we have choices. Happy New Years!
I guess when you made the comment "Advocating the use of less than optimum is flat wrong." you were claiming that my recommendation of the 26 nosler was bad...and that you thought it was an inadequate cartridge for the chore at hand or just not optimum...whatever that means. Whatevs - I stand by what I said in my earlier posts. The 26 Nosler is a bad *** round.

The key for me is adequate vs optimum. Obviously I can not make decisions for anyone else but me.

Yeah, but define optimum...is the 300 win mag the optimum elk caliber? Somebody could probably argue neither of those calibers are optimum, maybe a 338 RUM or 50 cal is "optimum". But there is no arguing both the 26 Nosler and 300 win mag are adequate for elk at 500 yards. It was a dumb statement man. The advice should be shoot the one you are more comfortable with, either will work.

Yeah, but define optimum...is the 300 win mag the optimum elk caliber? Somebody could probably argue neither of those calibers are optimum, maybe a 338 RUM or 50 cal is "optimum". But there is no arguing both the 26 Nosler and 300 win mag are adequate for elk at 500 yards. It was a dumb statement man. The advice should be shoot the one you are more comfortable with, either will work.

Also, since it is my opinion that both are adequate and either will work just fine...i stand by my original statement to shoot the 26 Nosler just so we can have more 6.5 bashing threads. :cool:

And the fight started.:)

Troublemaker! :cool:

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.