26 Nosler or 300 Win Mag

.300 all day long. I'm sure the 26 Nosler would do the job but I love the way my .300 WM with 180 accubonds thumps elk.

Another vote for 300. With elk bigger is better period. To those that say the 6.5 will do the job they are correct. So will a 22-250. Pick the correct tool not the one that "will work".

I am going to add(I know some will get upset) there is zero reason to shoot 180s in a 300. If you are going to shoot 180s get a seven. The 215 Berger is THE bullet for the 30s. I would not be afraid to try 212 or 225 elds or 230 Bergers either.

comes to mind, there is no replacement for engine displacement, ie 300 over 26. sure both will more than get it done though (7stw here and shortly a 300wsm).

You guys will laugh but if I went Elk hunting with my 300WM I would use 200 Gr.Partitions I know they aren't the new thing but you can drive them deep!

Nope. Partitions will do just fine. We are talking about shots inside 500 yards so the slick high BC bullets don't play as much at those ranges. Any good bullet that will drive deep break shoulders and destroy lungs will do the job. Shot a couple elk with the 200 gr accubond and I know from experience that it will drive from one end of an elk to the other the long way. Inside 500 yards I'd rather use a bullet that will stay together

Toyota Prius vs, F-150. efficiency vs. utility. What you driving?

I drive an F-350 6.7L diesel. My backup is a Cummins.

Elk
Wyoming
150 yds to 500yds
140 gr Nosler Accubond for the 26; 180 gr Nosler Accubond for the 300.
Proficiency same with either rifle out to about 250 yds. I'm a tad better with the 26 beyond 250 yds.

Which would you choose and why?
I think you should use the 26 Nosler - just so you can tell everybody on this forum you killed an elk with a 6.5 caliber cartridge. Then we can get another 50 plus page thread on the adequacy of 6.5 bullets :)

Those are 2 very different cartridges with very different performance characteristics. Of the 2 options you are listing, I'd go .300 WinMag.

Also, I wouldn't handicap the .300WM by shooting a 180 grain bullet, I'd look into something in the 210-220 grain range.

No replacement for displacement.

Seriously the 26 will do the job but imo driving a 180+ grain bullet is the way to go when targeting a very large animal.

I'm building a 300wm with the broz reamer just to run a large boolet pointed at an elk.

The added bonus is lots more trigger tims without feeling guilty about the barrel.

I think you should use the 26 Nosler - just so you can tell everybody on this forum you killed an elk with a 6.5 caliber cartridge. Then we can get another 50 plus page thread on the adequacy of 6.5 bullets :)

While you are at making the hunting community look bad why don't you go ahead and do it with a 22 so you can brag about using barley adequate equipment. Do you have any clue how your statement sounds? Every hunter knows a 6.5 can kill animals and is even very very effective on deer and smaller but elk in elk country is not something to be playing with. Having the attitude of using smaller just to brag is the very definition of unethical. If all you can afford is one rifle and you shoot deer or pronghorn 95% of the time with an occasional elk I completely understand wanting to use your 6.5 but keep shots at a reasonable distance like under 500 yards(which is his max quoted). Advocating the use of less than optimum is flat wrong. I have seen more than a few elk die this year with the 6.5 prc and 147 eldms. It is impressive but it is not a 30 cal. The Op asked for an elk rifle which implies to me it will be dedicated and the 30 with the right bullet will best the 6.5 with the right bullet hands down.

While you are at making the hunting community look bad why don't you go ahead and do it with a 22 so you can brag about using barley adequate equipment. Do you have any clue how your statement sounds? Every hunter knows a 6.5 can kill animals and is even very very effective on deer and smaller but elk in elk country is not something to be playing with. Having the attitude of using smaller just to brag is the very definition of unethical. If all you can afford is one rifle and you shoot deer or pronghorn 95% of the time with an occasional elk I completely understand wanting to use your 6.5 but keep shots at a reasonable distance like under 500 yards(which is his max quoted). Advocating the use of less than optimum is flat wrong. I have seen more than a few elk die this year with the 6.5 prc and 147 eldms. It is impressive but it is not a 30 cal. The Op asked for an elk rifle which implies to me it will be dedicated and the 30 with the right bullet will best the 6.5 with the right bullet hands down.
:rolleyes: Here we go - i grew up in elk country brother. You are talking to an redneck from idaho. If you are claiming the 26 nosler is less than optimum for elk you are bat **** crazy. The OP asked which he should take and also stated he shoots the 26 nosler a little better past 250 yards. That 26 Nosler with 140gr pills is packing some serious energy at 500 yards. The 300 win mag won't kill them any better than the 26 nosler with the right bullets.

This is just using factory ammo: nosler's factory ammo data for the 26 Nosler - 142 gr ABLRs are showing up at 500 yards with 2355 ft lbs of energy. The 300 win mag hornady precision hunter load with the 200 gr eldx shows 2279 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. I know those are factory loads, and I am sure some hand loads for each will change the numbers a little. The reality is both have similar energy at 500 yards thanks to the velocity of the 26 nosler. If he shoots the 26 nosler a little better thats what he should shoot.

:rolleyes: Here we go - i grew up in elk country brother. You are talking to an redneck from idaho. If you are claiming the 26 nosler is less than optimum for elk you are bat ---- crazy. The OP asked which he should take and also stated he shoots the 26 nosler a little better past 250 yards. That 26 Nosler with 140gr pills is packing some serious energy at 500 yards. The 300 win mag won't kill them any better than the 26 nosler with the right bullets.

We will have to agree to disagree. The 6.5 does not kill like a 30 especially when the shooter makes an error and makes a less than optimal shot placement. I am a huge small caliber guy but when it comes to larger game the 30 kills faster at a far higher percentage rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.