26 Nosler vrs. 264 Win. Mag.

+1 I lack the experience necessary to comparatively analyze the differences in cartridges and someone taking the time to maybe settle down some of the common misnomers such as "Barrel Burner", can be very helpful in educating those of us who may be scared away from certain rounds that are very effective, but may have lesser barrel life than others. I saw someone using the "Speed cost Money" philosophy. My funds is limited and posts like this one can be very helpful while making decisions.

264WM,

Nowhere did I state that I was annoyed. I simply stated that the way the thread was moving was in the wrong direction. Then I tried to carefully craft an answer which was in the vein of proper comparison. Sometimes the written word is misunderstood in short form.

MudRunner2005,

I was merely trying to clear up the confusion of the comparison. As I have stated on many occasions, it's difficult to tackle complex ideas in such explanations without taking the chance of offending someone. I have no intention of offending members at all but I do try to pass on factual information and explanations based on extensive experience. It is unfortunate that what I wrote was taken in the wrong way.

Regards.
I realize that you did not state you were annoyed but if you read your post objectively it has the tone that you were not liking this thread so I figured that your time would be better spent on something you like.

264WM,

I am objective and you have read more into this than I intended, obviously by my statements above.

Regards.

I learned early on that there are folks here that are smarter than I am, have far more experience than I am, and always willing and able help.

Cheers!

Isn't that the truth!

So hard to interpret what one is saying via the written word, no matter how well it is stated. Initially, I did not know how to take sable's response either, but when I re-read it today, it makes perfect sense.

Believe he is saying that the .264 WM and the .26 Nosler are not really comparable as the Nosler case is significantly larger (roughly 13% by volume). It is going to be faster then the .264 WM with the same weight bullet although you should probably really be shooting a heavier 6.5 mm bullet with the Nosler at the same speeds you are shooting the lighter .264 WM bullet.

Neither are barrel burners when the correct powder modern/recent powders and length of barrel is use. That the term barrel burner is pretty archaic in today's world.

By the way of introduction I have been a lurker on here, devouring all the fantastic information available for a couple of years. Not sure why this thread got me to post. Background: Ex Automotive Engineer who grew up on a ranch in Montana and enjoys rifles and shooting. Never had a .264 WM but always wanted once since I saw one of the first ones on display in my uncles Montana Hardware/Lumber store. Still want one just like I would love to have a .26 Nosler even though I know the .28 Nosler is probably a better use/application of the Nosler cartridge. My arsenal includes most of the varmint calibers .17 Remington, .223, .220 swift, 6 mm Remington, .25-06, .270 up to the .30-06. I would be ashamed to mention what I shot my first elk with based on the knowledge and Information I have obtained from this site. Thanks for letting me read for all these years.

lightbulbNow that a subjective comparative analysis has been established and peace has been sorted out somewhat :rolleyes:, let's move on forward from here and let the OP (and others considering the same) decide which way to go ...lightbulb

You can make 264 win mag brass out of 7mm REM mag brass .You can only make 26 Nosler out of 28 nosler good luck there .I bought a couple of thousand 7mm REM mag cases when it was cheap years ago .I also bought surplus 50 bmg powder and h-870 powder when it was cheap.I bought up tons if bullets when they were cheap too.I got a bargin on both ruger stainless model 77 rifles I got .I even got a deal on the Leopold varix 3.5x10 scope .Its a super accurate gun with the 24 inch barrel with lapula bullets I do wish it had a 28 inch barrel but it will work fine .It has shot some awesome groups at 300 yards about 1.35 inch at 300 yards so I leave it alone .The 264 is a fine long range gun without breaking the bank .

264WM,

Nowhere did I state that I was annoyed. I simply stated that the way the thread was moving was in the wrong direction. Then I tried to carefully craft an answer which was in the vein of proper comparison. Sometimes the written word is misunderstood in short form.

MudRunner2005,

I was merely trying to clear up the confusion of the comparison. As I have stated on many occasions, it's difficult to tackle complex ideas in such explanations without taking the chance of offending someone. I have no intention of offending members at all but I do try to pass on factual information and explanations based on extensive experience. It is unfortunate that what I wrote was taken in the wrong way.

Regards.
Your information was clear and correct, the delivery however needs work.

It's easy to rub folks the wrong way, we've all done it.

if you like the 26 Nosler, go for it. Burning barrels gets a lot of play now and in the past, you have to look at barrels as replaceable, like tires on your car. I like the idea of the 26 Nosler and have kicked around the idea of building one, but with the current lack of reloading data I will wait for a few years to see how it pans out.

It seems that all have a very interesting take on this post.. Seems like what it comes down to is; when you speak of 6.5 caliber's the first cartridge we compare it to is the 6.5 Win Mag for a good reason, it's been a fantastic cartridge since 1959, there are some fast and some more accurate but only one "6.5 Win Mag" with both performance and nostalgia in it's corner. If today you could go into the woods with a Pre 64 Win 70 in .264 Win Mag you'd be styling.. :)
As for apples and oranges I'll leave that alone. :rolleyes:
Remember guys it's all about the memory's. :)

Cheer's

I built a 6.5-300 RUM prior to the birth of the 26 nosler... Played around with it and while velocities were great accuracy suffered (and was very finicky) once the great velocities were achieved. I rebarrled to 6.5-257wby imp. But is basically an improved version of the 264 win. I achieve BR accuracy with a 142 smk at 3200fps. Point in all of this... Nosler has done a great job of marketing the 26 and its capabilities... and if you want to sling .264 bullets at extreme velocities thats great... But IMO there are other calibers such as the 264wm that will do a better/same job in the end. gun)

I am a relative newcomer to the .264 Win Mag and feel that it is exactly what I was looking for when I began working with 6.5mm cartridges a few years ago. I am very happy with the .264, which is why the .26 Nosler cartidge doesn't interest me.

I believe the recent renaissance experienced by the .264 coincides with the fairly recent availability of powders and bullets fully capable of exploiting its potential. The lack of such components caused an excellent cartridge to languish for several decades.

I further believe that the .26 Nosler now occupies a similar niche. It is a cartridge with potential that will go unrealized until other products catch up. IMO, broader availability of heavier .264 bullets (accompanied by specs for faster twists), broader acceptance of wear-resistant metal treatments (e.g. melonite), and the introduction of powders more suited to the .26 Nosler, will be needed for the Nosler cartridge to come into its own.

This time, I don't expect that process to take decades.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.