243 vs 6 creedmoor……I’ll grab my popcorn

It's the small primer thing - I have both 6CM & .243W, both 8 twist and get essentially the same results. I can go to my LGS's & buy small rifle primers that work just fine with the 6CM and the 6CM rounds fit better in my short action rifles. I am using pricy Peterson .260Rem srp brass necked down to .243W with necks turned in the .243W rifle which is a long action FN Mauser. I can get a 1-3% more velocity with the .243W.

Last edited:
I have both. My .243 is a 10 twist and shoots the lighter bullets best. My Ruger is 6 CM with a 8 twist and prefers the heavier 103-110 bullets. It was a true .5 MOA rifle out of the box with factory match ammo. My only other comment would be about trimming the 243 brass often since it grows.
If I were to do it again, I would do a .243 AI with a fast twist since it is a more prevalent cartridge.

It's the small primer thing - I have both 6CM & .243W, both 8 twist and get essentially the same results. I can go to my LGS's & buy small rifle primers that work just fine with the 6CM and the 6CM rounds fit better in my short action rifles. I am using pricy Peterson .260Rem srp brass necked down to .243 with necks turned in the .243 which is a long action FN Mauser. I can get a 1-3% more velocity with the .243W.
I've been considering making my FN Mauser a fast twist 22-250. I'll get some 6XC srp brass for it.

I bought 10k of them.
Coffee Wow GIF by Starbucks

Building or buying? That's the question. If building they will be equal as you can put a fast twist barrel on the .243 and take care of the main issue with factory .243s.

Ballistically they are basically the same. You will find more 100+ grn ammo for the 6 Creed though as it was made for such. The .243 still suffers from the lack of heavier match grade ammo.

ETA If building a 6 Creed the PVA Solus barreled action is a steal especially when using the FFTC2024 coupon code. Comes out to about $1050.

I’m tired of reloading and wish tikka would chamber 6 creed because of that.

Were I not tired of it I would just get the 8 twist 243.

I would also like to see if anyone has any results with the new 8 twist tikka barrels and heavy bullets. Given my experience with tikka barrels I don’t imagine it would shoot anything but well

Looking to build or buy a light recoiling 6mm to keep in the truck for summer mountain trips to shoot jack rabbits and steel. And probably black tail deer just to give it a go. 243 obviously has a solid amount of factory ammo if needed (but I mostly reload) and 6 creed is definitely becoming more popular in stores. I’ll be running 100-110 grain bullets for this setup and curious to hear peoples experiences. And if anyone is running the factory tikka with a 1-8 twist 243 I’d love to get some feedback on the rifle
With both running the same twist, there won’t be any significant difference in performance. However, the 6 Creed has a better case design and is better suited to work in short action magazines with today’s long bullets. I’d go 6 Creedmoor these days.

John

I’m tired of reloading and wish tikka would chamber 6 creed because of that.

Were I not tired of it I would just get the 8 twist 243.

I would also like to see if anyone has any results with the new 8 twist tikka barrels and heavy bullets. Given my experience with tikka barrels I don’t imagine it would shoot anything but well

You can buy a Tikka prefit barrel in 6 Creed and put it on your rifle at home. Just need an action wrench and barrel vise.

You can buy a Tikka prefit barrel in 6 Creed and put it on your rifle at home. Just need an action wrench and barrel vise.

They won’t cut them in a lite enough contour for me last I checked.

That and that I can usually find a tikka take off sub 200$ that shoots as good as I want for hunting anyway have prevented me from doing this. But yes, it’s for sure an option. My last tikka prefit for my comp rifle Dave Tooley cut for me.

When my tikka barrels shoot 10 shots sub moa it makes it hard to spend the extra 500$

They won’t cut them in a lite enough contour for me last I checked.

That and that I can usually find a tikka take off sub 200$ that shoots as good as I want for hunting anyway have prevented me from doing this. But yes, it’s for sure an option. My last tikka prefit for my comp rifle Dave Tooley cut for me.

When my tikka barrels shoot 10 shots sub moa it makes it hard to spend the extra 500$

You might want to check again as they do a couple light taperless barrels now. If you are tired as you say of reloading then might be worth a look.

Look at this thread on the Hide. Discussion of the new contours and weights.