22 ARC

I think it's a great coyote/varmint cartridge in a factory offering for ARs. I'm more of a bolt action guy, and absolutely love my 22GT in bolt action.

22" shilen barrel .219 bore, 7 twist
Reloder 15.5
88 ELDM - hit pressure 3240 ish, load was 3175 fps
85.5 berger - currently loading @ 3220 fps (went up to 3250 without pressure)

That said, i think for the times when you might not have time to reload or take a buddy out, the 22 ARC would be a great backup to have in the safe.

Nice man!
Since I watched a interview with George Gardner and someone else about the 6gt, I thought to myself, that thing would be sweet with a 22cal bullet stuffed into it!
What is the expected barrel life?
Not really sure on barrel life. I am running 36.6gr H4350. So pretty light, and a cool, slower powder for that case size. Better than a 22CM @42.0gr which is about a 1K barrel life cartridge. If this barrel lasts 1500, I will be happy. If it lasts 2k, I will be ecstatic.

I think it's a great coyote/varmint cartridge in a factory offering for ARs. I'm more of a bolt action guy, and absolutely love my 22GT in bolt action.

22" shilen barrel .219 bore, 7 twist
Reloder 15.5
88 ELDM - hit pressure 3240 ish, load was 3175 fps
85.5 berger - currently loading @ 3220 fps (went up to 3250 without pressure)

That said, i think for the times when you might not have time to reload or take a buddy out, the 22 ARC would be a great backup to have in the safe.
How temp stable is RL15.5? Those are impressive numbers.

I built a suppressed Ar15 upper in 2015 in 22 Grendel with, IIRC, a 20" Bartlein barrel
It would give 2950-3050 fps with 75-80 grain projectiles in Lapua brass using various powders
Fantastically accurate, extremely disappointing that they were taken from us
I recently built one on a Howa Mini by rechambering a factory 223 19" barrel
I haven't done much with it yet but it goes very well with the 77 TMK @ 3025 fps & Norma brass
Should be able to get more out of it with Lapua brass & other powders
Fantastic little light rifle with a carbon stock & VX3 scope
I have built quite a few Howa minis the same in various cartridges to replace the AR uppers I lost

As usual folks want to talk apples to oranges when Hornady introduces a new cartridge. In this case what doe's your 22-250 do loaded to under 52K psi? Sort of the reverse of wildcaters comparing a factory load against the super hand load when the hand load tests 70K+. As a long time 22-250 user I am looking forward to the .22ARC in a compact bolt gun!

The bullet they are using is not their standard ELD match or X bullet. The new bullets are longer than a conventional bullet of the same weight. They do this by using a different type of lead, and by moving the lead inside the copper sheathing towards the back of the bullet. on the initial muzzle velocity using the same weight bullet, a 22–250 will have a higher velocity; but by the time you get to 250-300 yards it has shed that velocity … again, using traditional similar weight bullets, and the newer bullets will maintain that high velocity, and have less wind drift. Additionally, you cannot shoot these new bullets in traditional twist rates. for example, my 22-250 AI has a 1:9 twist rate. it does great with 55 up to 69 grain traditional bullets but I could not put the new ELDVT bullet in that twist rate , and expect top stability, as it requires a one and 7 1/2 or faster.
Likewise, you cannot put these bullets in a 223 AR15 because it will not fit in the magazine length.
it's hard to argue with the success of Hornady in the last 10 years. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a better all-around cartridge design and performer compared to the 260 Remington. Same with the 6mm Cdmr. the 6.5 PRC is probably on par with the 6.5 x 284 but it is an a short action, so that to some is an advantage. The new 300 PRC and 7 mm PRC surpass the 300WINMAG and 7 mm Remington mag when using traditional twist rates and traditional bullets… not by much however. The 6 mm arc is a fantastic light deer ,antelope , coyote round, and it will only be better with these new longer lighter bullets. The 22 arc is not just a necked down 6 mm arc …they did have to lengthen it slightly.
I would stronly disgree with your statement that the 6.5 creedmoor is better than a 260 Remington. My 260 Remington builds regularly out perform any 6.5 Needmore.

I would stronly disgree with your statement that the 6.5 creedmoor is better than a 260 Remington. My 260 Remington builds regularly out perform any 6.5 Needmore.
The 6.5 CM will NOT outrun a . 260. Period. I own both. Doesn't happen. The only guys that believe that are the ones that never owned a . 260.

It's about overall length, and ease of getting the long for caliber bullets into an ar-10 mag.
That and the sammi twist rates of the older cartridges that can't handle the long bullets, is the reason that all of these new cartridges are coming out. Even if the older cartridges can out perform it with traditional bullets.
The 22-250 is a perfect example. Companies are starting to make factory rifles with a faster twist but ammo manufacturers won't load anything that doesn't comply with sammi specs

According to Hornady, it's 2.250 with that 62 eld vt bullet allowing for mag fed option. As far as comparing the 22ARC to the 22-250, it's gotta be apples to apples. Same twist and same bullet in both cartridges. Then compare. The 22-250 hands down wins. No competition. Just Hornady putting their spin on their new development.
Yeah my 22-250....only thing holding it back is that slow 1:14 twist because the case allows for plenty of velocity. I'll probably stick with it and just rebarrel it, 26" barrel and around a 1:8 twist.

Yes, your builds. Not factory /SAAMI offerings, especially at the rated PSI. I own two, 260 Remington's, and one 260 AI. It is a wonderful cartridge second only to the wonderful 7-08 in my opinion.(maybe the 280AI) But I am really enjoying my 7mm Creedmoor so far