22 ARC

I may have to look at it in an AR. Pretty sexy looking round
Yes it is and potent! It's been around for quite awhile really in the wildcat arena. Like the podcast said, when the 6.5 grendel came out, they already had plans for this but in a big company that would have to stick a lot of money into something, it needs a market and it just doesn't happen over night.

U ain't picking on me. I'm not afraid to admit I know zero about the 22 grendel. I'm pretty informed on the 6.5 version. This new 22 ARC is new to me.
Ok, some folks here get defensive when a person tries to give them true information on something that they don't know or think they know.
Thats ok, no one can possibly know every wildcat that has been made etc lol! The 22arc is new in general!

hornady is a marketingh machine. As always, the compare Apples to oranges and then tell you they are all oranges. Its just sales 101.
ts basicall a knecked down 6.5 Grendel. I have a 6.5 Grendel and to get you to buy the 6 ARC they compare a 108 ELD to another generic round say a 123 ELD M. Then they project out some vodoo ballistics numbers that support their thesis. You need to buy this. I get it. It's business. In reality, in practical tems the 6.5 Grendel out performs or equates them all. Where it does not out perform, it is so close it does not matter.

They just have created bullets for each round that emphais the characteristics they wish. For factory loading this is fine. For the reloader it just a lot of smoke an mirrors. Does this mean you can probalby have superior ballistics in some cases with measures that favor a 22 ARC. Hell yeah, an wild catters and handloaders have been doing it for years, 6 mm AR, 243 LBC, 22 Grendel, 22 DPC.

In all the above cases the specific advantages that each cartridge offers, has bee chosen by the handloader to achieve his wend goals. This is all about beinging these specific cartridge performance model toi the public, Offering production and support. Is it good for Hornady? Yes. Is it good for the public? Yes. Is it good for me? No. I will live within the confines and the performance envelope of the 6.5 Grendel/264 LBC. If you understand performance numbers and feel that its warranted go for it. Just not my cup of tea. I have 223 AR's , 308 AR's 260 Remington AR's to fill everything the 6.5 Grendel/264 LBC cnat do.

My experience with heavy bullets in the 22/250 goes back to the late 1990's. We ran 80gr Sierra's in a 22/250 Krieger 1 in 7.75" twist barrel at 3400fps with full loads of IMR 4350. It was a 500-800 yard prairie dog killer that would hold sub .5moa all the way out past 500.
My son still shoots that barrel on a Ruger No. 1V.

There is nothing really new, just slight improvements around the edges these days. Not unlike the 243Win v 6mmRem, it's commercial success and not raw numbers that matter.

The problem with your view of an apples to apples comparison is that the 22-250 will have to be a custom rifle and ammo against a saami spec rifle and ammo. How is that an apples to apples comparison?
A 62g bullet in the 22arc vs a 55g bullet in the 22-250 is as close to an apples to apples comparison as it gets to date, everything is saami spec, no custom anything. This is about on the shelf ammo and rifles that get close to a 22-250, not custom ammo or rifles.
Even if it were custom everything, from the data I have seen on the 22 grendel(arc) is darn close if not right at what can be achieved in a 22-250 but one will fit in an ar15.

Factory .22-250 vs Factory 22 ARC

IMG_7698.jpeg

ARC - beats the .22-250 in energy by 200 yards while being a max of 4" more drop at the apex before it catches it in trajectory by 650. Seems fairly comparable to me.

That being said I'm looking forward to launching the 62gr ELD-TV out of an 8 twist 18" .22-250. I can get the 53gr to 3600 fps so I should be able to get 3400 fps with the 62gr.

View attachment 505203

ARC - beats the .22-250 in energy by 200 yards while being a max of 4" more drop at the apex before it catches it in trajectory by 650. Seems fairly comparable to me.

That being said I'm looking forward to launching the 62gr ELD-TV out of an 8 twist 18" .22-250. I can get the 53gr to 3600 fps so I should be able to get 3400 fps with the 62gr.
I can't wait to try that 62 in my 223s

Didn't look up case dimensions but it looks like a fatter case than the Grendel. Hard to tell tho
They posted a video on YouTube yesterday going very in depth on the cartridge, they do say its is the 6.5 Grendel necked down, but also talk about the camber dimension's and 1-7 twist needed to reach performance with their ammo.

View attachment 505203

Exactly! Also what some don't look at is the bc of the bullets used or can be used, sure its not a speed demon like the 22-250 but the higher bc of the bullets(factory) makes it where it doesn't need the speed to perform similarly.
The old theories of "must have laser speed of the lightest bullets to kill way out there" is slowly dying. Speed is needed but, its also nice to not have to push something so hard to overcome the crap bc values of the bullets being used. Thats what I see in what Hornady is doing from the creed, prc and arc families. Its taking the old ways of doing things and making them more efficient with less powder and more bullet bc's, honestly if people step back, don't get emotional, take a deep breath and look at it in a general population perspective, its brilliant, some will be diehards "this is better, always will" mentalities, but how will the industry improve and grow with that mentality? I've got family like that, they don't understand that shooting an 80g bullet 3000fps is better than shooting a 30-40g bullet 4000fps, the wind drift is going to be horrible. I always laugh inside when one uncle says he shot at a coyote at 300-400yds and misses with his .204. Same uncle is a huge 7rm supporter and the other day he said something about selling it for the 7prc, I about fell over lol!