22 ARC

VLD Pilot

Hornady is at it again. Improving and brainstorming how to market more performance. As usual claims of this cartridge rivaling the already super potent factory 22-250. Of course I'm sure we'll all see how this claim is another false one by Hornady. I enjoy seeing Hornady develop new stuff. Not bashing them but I can't see 3075 with a 75 grain eld-m rivaling the same bullet down the barrel of a 22-250. My 223s run nearly 3000 with 75s and that's not a hot load. It's fair to say it'll sit between the 223 and 22-250. No need for pushing it into an entirely different class of cartridge. It'll be a great AR cartridge for sure. I do like seeing the new 62 grain VT bullets. Looking forward to using them in my 223s.

Isn't it basically a 22 PPC?

I have lost track at this point.
IMG_1231.jpeg

Ironic this was my bot challenge this morning to login

IMG_1230.png

Went back to look at data, 3100ish might be possible if the case is blown out to the straight wall of the ARC

IMG_1232.jpeg

Last edited:
it is a necked down 6.5 Grendel slightly longer than the 6ARC. I have the 224LBC same thing as 22ARC. 3075 with 75gr is easily obtainable remember Hornady tests velocity in a 24"barrel I wouldn't expect that in a standard 18-20" AR barrel.
it will be a decent cartridge that is easy to tune, accurate and a little more shooter/ barrel friendly for those long days shooting compared to the22-250 or 22 creed.

it is a necked down 6.5 Grendel slightly longer than the 6ARC. I have the 224LBC same thing as 22ARC. 3075 with 75gr is easily obtainable remember Hornady tests velocity in a 24"barrel I wouldn't expect that in a standard 18-20" AR barrel.
it will be a decent cartridge that is easy to tune, accurate and a little more shooter/ barrel friendly for those long days shooting compared to the22-250 or 22 creed.
Didn't look up case dimensions but it looks like a fatter case than the Grendel. Hard to tell tho

somebody posted the Hornady podcast yesterday and i was watching it and there was another video that had the 22ARC, 6ARC, and grendel case side by side, and as best i can tell and by their description it is just necked down, haven't looked for the saami prints to say for certain. not much to blow out on the grendel or the 6ARC anyway.

The bullet they are using is not their standard ELD match or X bullet. The new bullets are longer than a conventional bullet of the same weight. They do this by using a different type of lead, and by moving the lead inside the copper sheathing towards the back of the bullet. on the initial muzzle velocity using the same weight bullet, a 22–250 will have a higher velocity; but by the time you get to 250-300 yards it has shed that velocity … again, using traditional similar weight bullets, and the newer bullets will maintain that high velocity, and have less wind drift. Additionally, you cannot shoot these new bullets in traditional twist rates. for example, my 22-250 AI has a 1:9 twist rate. it does great with 55 up to 69 grain traditional bullets but I could not put the new ELDVT bullet in that twist rate , and expect top stability, as it requires a one and 7 1/2 or faster.
Likewise, you cannot put these bullets in a 223 AR15 because it will not fit in the magazine length.
it's hard to argue with the success of Hornady in the last 10 years. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a better all-around cartridge design and performer compared to the 260 Remington. Same with the 6mm Cdmr. the 6.5 PRC is probably on par with the 6.5 x 284 but it is an a short action, so that to some is an advantage. The new 300 PRC and 7 mm PRC surpass the 300WINMAG and 7 mm Remington mag when using traditional twist rates and traditional bullets… not by much however. The 6 mm arc is a fantastic light deer ,antelope , coyote round, and it will only be better with these new longer lighter bullets. The 22 arc is not just a necked down 6 mm arc …they did have to lengthen it slightly.

The bullet they are using is not their standard ELD match or X bullet. The new bullets are longer than a conventional bullet of the same weight. They do this by using a different type of lead, and by moving the lead inside the copper sheathing towards the back of the bullet on the initial muzzle velocity using the same weight bullet, a 22–250 will have a higher velocity; but by the time you get to 250-300 yards it has shed that velocity and the newer bullets will maintain that velocity, and have less wind drift. Additionally, you cannot shoot these new bullets and traditional twist rates for example, my 22 to 50 AI has a 1:9 twist rate. it does great with 55 up to 69 grain bullets but I could not put the new ELDVT bullet in that twist rate , and expect top stability, as it requires a one and 7 1/2 or faster.
Likewise, you cannot put these bullets in a 223 AR15 because it will not fit in the magazine length.
it's hard to argue with the success of Hornady in the last 10 years. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a better all-around cartridge design and performer compared to the 260 Remington the 6.5 PRC is probably on par with the 6.5 x 284 but it is an a short action, so that to some is an advantage. The new 300 PRC and 7 mm PRC surpass the 300WINMAG and 7 mm Remington mag when using traditional twist rates… not by much however. The 6 mm arc is a fantastic light deer antelope coyote round, and it will only be better with these new longer lighter bullets. The 22 arc is not just a necked down 6 mm arc …they did have to lengthen it slightly.
According to Hornady, it's 2.250 with that 62 eld vt bullet allowing for mag fed option. As far as comparing the 22ARC to the 22-250, it's gotta be apples to apples. Same twist and same bullet in both cartridges. Then compare. The 22-250 hands down wins. No competition. Just Hornady putting their spin on their new development.

I watched the podcast in detail multiple times, and it was said loading that bullet to feed out of an A.R. 15 will shove the bullet too far into the case. The idea of comparing a 22-250 to the new 22 arc is to compare it in it's traditional format not for someone who builds a custom rifle and has a specific twist rate for a specific bullet. This is for the masses , the people who buy an off-the-shelf 22-250 and buy OTC ammo, additionally the 22 arc fits inside of an A.R. 15, whereas a 22-250 will need an AR 10. of course, there will be people out there who build a 22 to 50 specifically to use with this bullet, and it will be a fantastic round and will surpass the arc. I am already trying to find these bullets to load it in my 22 GT and my 22 bra. Lighter bullet, higher BC, less drag , equals better performance Down range on varmints/Target.

I watched the podcast in detail multiple times, and it was said loading that bullet to feed out of an A.R. 15 will shove the bullet too far into the case. The idea of comparing a 22-250 to the new 22 arc is to compare it in it's traditional format not for someone who builds a custom rifle and has a specific twist rate for a specific bullet. This is for the masses , the people who buy an off-the-shelf 22-250 and buy OTC ammo, additionally the 22 arc fits inside of an A.R. 15, whereas a 22-250 will need an AR 10. of course, there will be people out there who build a 22 to 50 specifically to use with this bullet, and it will be a fantastic round and will surpass the arc. I am already trying to find these bullets to load it in my 22 GT and my 22 bra. Lighter bullet, higher BC, less drag , equals better performance Down range on varmints/Target.
Oh so the comparison was for both cartridges in an AR platform ? Still, the 22-250 would need the AR10 unless it was using a 40 grain bullet based on the OAL.

I've been shooting a 22 Grendel for a couple of years. 22" AR-15. 75's top out at 3000 and 88's at 2850. And those are warm loads with CFE223. It does beat a 6 Grendel(or ARC) tho. The operating window is pretty narrow between case capacity and fitting in a mag. As someone mentioned above, shooting a straight 22PPC would probably be easier.

I've been shooting a 22 Grendel for a couple of years. 22" AR-15. 75's top out at 3000 and 88's at 2850. And those are warm loads with CFE223. It does beat a 6 Grendel(or ARC) tho. The operating window is pretty narrow between case capacity and fitting in a mag. As someone mentioned above, shooting a straight 22PPC would probably be easier.
I've been wanting to build a 22Grendel for several years now and every time I go to buy components I'm turned off by the brass prep. It's a non factor for some but I don't care for it. 22ARC is the easy button