22 ARC

Well I'm on page 5 of this thread and.....

Take the numbers hornady puts out and subtract at least 100fps first off lol. I know this because I've shot hundreds of rounds of factory 300prc ammo!

The 22ARC is not what is going to "beat" a 22-250.....the BULLET that the 1:7 Saami twist rate 22ARC pushes IS! That 62VT is a totally different animal than what we are all used to in a 22cal! A 62gr bullet with a G1 of .395.... thats almost identical numbers as a 73gr ELDM!

You can't fit a 22-250 in an AR15...
A 22-250 loaded to 52k psi is going to be kinda boring...
Barrel life is going to be better in a 22ARC vs 22-250
A 60gr in a 10tw 22-250 is going to run out of its speed advantage at about 400yds compared to the 62grVT in the 22ARC.

Yes you can do a 8tw 22-250 and put a lot of freebore in it and run the heavies....heck we are all seeing it done in the 22cm as well. But are you going to jump a 55gr bullet all the .000"s in a chamber set up for the 80's in a legacy type cartridge??

From what I'm reading the 22ARC will push everything from 50gr to 88gr while being loaded to fit in an AR15 mag.

It is not designed to out run the 22-250 at the muzzle.....its designed to walk away from it in that 400-800yd range and do it in an AR15 platform.

All these speed numbers are in the vertical plane which means squat because we can all dial for elevation! It's the wind that hinders ALL of us! You can put all the fps's behind a bullet that has the BC of a ping-pong ball that you want and judge that wind at 400yds @ 10mph from 1 o'clock and it actually be 15mph from 2:30 and that 6-7" wide chest on a coyote might as well be the width of a cigarette with that .250BC 55 grain 22-250!

I'm not bashing the 22-250 and I'm also not going to say that a cartridge with 10 grains less capacity is comparable to the 22-250. I know that if I have a dog hang up and sit down at 500yds and I got 1hr left in a 24hr contest....... I want all the BC I can get! Keep your speed and increase my hit probability left to right!!! You will get more BC from a Saami 22ARC than you can with a Saami 22-250.

Hopefully I can make cases out of my Grendel brass. And I cannot wait to put a 22ARC in a howa mini with a 24" barrel!!

I think Hornady is targeting the non-reloading AR rifle crowd with this, which is great, but there is a lot left on the table when it comes to the bolt rifle crowd.

We live in a great time, tons of options, new fast twist barrels combined with long skinny , high BC bullets to take advantage of this.

I see the logic, people who don't or won't reload, won't upgrade their rifles twist/barrel being able to take full advantage of the new ammo and twist offerings.

I have been a 7 twist AR guy since I was able to buy the first one offered in a lightweight profile, shooting the 75gr up bullets that would fit in the magazines. I have a Nosler barrel which gave subpar results and walked, I have two 223 AI 7 twist AR barrels still in the original tubes waiting for me to throw them in an upper. I have two 3 groove 7 twist 223 Wylde barrel rifles, both are Harrison Beene barrels IIRC, they shoot the 62gr cheap factory stuff great and I have plenty of the 70gr Speer SP and the 70gr VLD-T bullets, the Speer are plenty for pigs and coyotes here, we don't get a lot of "long range" opportunities in North Texas where I hunt. I haven't played with the VLD-T too much.

I think it will be interesting to see actual velocities of the factory 22 ARC ammo once people get their hands on it. Hopefully it's closer than the published 7 PRC velocities were. I definitely don't need another project 22, I need to utilize the ones I have more.

I think Hornady is targeting the non-reloading AR rifle crowd with this, which is great, but there is a lot left on the table when it comes to the bolt rifle crowd.

We live in a great time, tons of options, new fast twist barrels combined with long skinny , high BC bullets to take advantage of this.

I see the logic, people who don't or won't reload, won't upgrade their rifles twist/barrel being able to take full advantage of the new ammo and twist offerings.

I have been a 7 twist AR guy since I was able to buy the first one offered in a lightweight profile, shooting the 75gr up bullets that would fit in the magazines. I have a Nosler barrel which gave subpar results and walked, I have two 223 AI 7 twist AR barrels still in the original tubes waiting for me to throw them in an upper. I have two 3 groove 7 twist 223 Wylde barrel rifles, both are Harrison Beene barrels IIRC, they shoot the 62gr cheap factory stuff great and I have plenty of the 70gr Speer SP and the 70gr VLD-T bullets, the Speer are plenty for pigs and coyotes here, we don't get a lot of "long range" opportunities in North Texas where I hunt. I haven't played with the VLD-T too much.

I think it will be interesting to see actual velocities of the factory 22 ARC ammo once people get their hands on it. Hopefully it's closer than the published 7 PRC velocities were. I definitely don't need another project 22, I need to utilize the ones I have more.
Exactly. Hornady Caters to the non-reloader in all their new offered cartridges. The 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, 7PRC and 300PRC all have excellent loaded ammo that you cannot get in 260, 6.5-284, 284 and while the 300 WM does offer good ammo, the 300 PRC is it's ballistic twin case capacity wise but with the long neck (like Hornady puts on all these new cartridges) it's capable of running heavy bullets faster. Also has a longer saami OAL. The 22CM is IMO is a more fair competition for the 22-250, not the 22ARC. Surprised Hornady didn't actually design that one as well. I enjoy all the new stuff from Hornady. I improved the 300 PRC and enjoy that round a lot. Content with my 260, 6.5-284 and 284. No reason for me to jump into Hornady's 6.5s or 7s at this point. The 300PRC replaced my 300WM basically having a faster barrel and shooting heavier bullets makes it much more versatile. I suspect Hornady will come up with something . 257 eventually. Competition for the . 257 Wby maybe ???

You can or could get a 22-250 in an AR-15 at least until Olympic Arms went out of business.
I had one and it shot under half an inch all day with factory ammunition.
And I have shot countless deer with a 223 Remington out to 300 yards.
So I would get one not to outrun and improve on the 22-250. I want to improve on the 223. I have a 22 Creedmoor to beat the 22-250.
But put a 22 ARC on a howa mini with an 18" barrel suppressed and load it to bolt action pressure, then you would have a great carry gun

Yes an AR-10 is the answer to running a fast twist 22-250 but if you did that you should do a 22 creedmoor.
Good brass available and loaded ammunition with heavy bullets if you don't want to reload or want to shoot factory to get brass.
All the 22-250 AR-10's that I have seen are still saami twisted

Yes an AR-10 is the answer to running a fast twist 22-250 but if you did that you should do a 22 creedmoor.
Good brass available and loaded ammunition with heavy bullets if you don't want to reload or want to shoot factory to get brass.
All the 22-250 AR-10's that I have seen are still saami twisted
Custom barrel would be needed for sure. My 22-250AI runs at 22CM velocities. If I didn't have so much 22-250 Brass, I'd have gone with the 22CM. One range buddy of mine does have a 22-250 AR10 with an 8 twist barrel(X caliber). I haven't seen the rifle yet but he built it.

From a guy on a Facebook group .224 grendel:

A6B7C0DF-1FA2-4E83-A795-225F865ED3EE.png6E705973-7DC1-4B25-92DC-E48D7A674CC2.pngA4EA551E-34CD-4B38-A4F8-37C67B221606.png92D8633F-8492-4D2C-A111-915733962DD7.png

It's an ill-fated Valk or a newer ppc! Nothing to gain as it's only marketing and Hornady WILL kill you on brass regardless of the other 20 manufacturers who've joined their cult!

It's an ill-fated Valk or a newer ppc! Nothing to gain as it's only marketing and Hornady WILL kill you on brass regardless of the other 20 manufacturers who've joined their cult!
How is hornady going to kill you on brass? From what I've just saw it's a 22grendel or 224 Grendel with .020" more freebore. Grendel brass should work but would probably need neck turned. Sargent of arms is making Grendel/arc die to combat the Grendel belt. Alpha munitions is listing reamers and I'd assume brass from them will be available eventually. Plus all the Lapua ways of going about making brass if you wanted to.

22arc is being released at a better time than 6arc was that's for sure.

1) Lots of interest for small frame AR cartridges that exceed 223/5.56 capabilities at longer ranges - multiple gas gun competitions.
2) 65 Grendel, 224 Valkyrie, 6mm ARC, and now 22 ARC are candidates
3) Lots of competition for a limited amount of quality 6mm projectiles - example Berger 105/109 Hybrids - have people looking at high BC 22 calibers like 85s, 90s, 95.
4) Hornady develops, markets, and supports these "new" cartridges