1st Solo Bedding Job

These little details make it so much easier and most overlook them because they have never painted.
I take a Marson spreader & cut it into small pieces to apply epoxy. So much easier than a pop sickle stick. The stick comes in handy for some things. You can also buy the Marson spreaders these days in different sizes. But I found they still need trimming for these small jobs. I like the fact they give a little, as to the pop sickle stick being so firm. And I use a firm piece of cardboard or Plexiglas to mix on. And I would tape the whole stock not just parts of it. The JUST IN CASE scenario. You sometimes don't realize you have something on your hand, till it's to late. Then it's waste more time to clean up.

The only thing I don't care for is it has a lot of slop when you set the action in the stock, it is machined excellent and it fits very well, but the recoil lug area is very big. It is hard for me to describe, it worked fine unbedded, the groups were good, but I want to set my barreled action in the stock and not have it move sideways or rotate freely while I am trying to torque it down. At least now, when I set it in, it is level and I am not reaching for levels to put in the bolt raceway and top of picatinny rail. Sometimes, I would get a three shot group and have another shot stray out of the group. I am just trying to eliminate anything that could be an issue down the road and also, give myself some practice on bedding. By no means is this a sign of AG Composite stock not working. When you receive your stock you will understand what I mean when I mentioned the recoil lug area.
I just received mine yesterday and I see what you mean about the recoil lug being sloppy and oversized so I will have the lug bedded and the rest checked but fit and finish is good, going to have to relieve the first 1 1/4" from the tip as there is pressure on the barrel

Just remember, you learn from mistakes. So borrow a rifle from someone and try it on their rifle first. :rolleyes: EDIT: If it doesn't work out, loan them some cash. That way you will never see them again anyway. 🤣 🤣
I have two that I need to bed. One is an old model 70 30-06 that I paid to get a bed job and shorten the stock. What ever he did makes it horrible to shoot, kicks like a jack mule and the muzzle jump is horrible.
The other one is a Howa 7mag that has a hogue overmolded stock.

Hey, my “instructor” was a Marine SGM that had been an Armourer and shooter for the Marine competition team. I have done a bunch of my rifles and none have looked as good as the one he taught me on. But even looking a little rougher the bedding jobs still help out.
Many years ago I guy I knew was going on the brown bear hunt. He couldn’t get his rifle to shoot. He asked me to bed it, it was a Savage and I had only done 700’s up until then. I did the job but couldn’t get the rifle out of the stock afterwards. The rifle shot amazing afterwards though and he killed a nice bear. I told him that I had never done a savage and I just wasn’t sure about it, but he was ok with it because he was only a few weeks away from going. He does still bring it up occasionally. I ask him, “ how does that rifle shoot now”?
Take Care

I have only done four bedding jobs, so I am no pro, but they seem to kick less after bedded.
The same guy did the same thing to a rem 700 7mag for me and it did the same thing.
I took the 7mag to shortgrass and he fixed it.
I am wondering if when he shortened the stock he got it cut at a angle.🤷🏼‍♂️

Recent Posts