proof research barrels

howco

Anybody do a build with one of these barrels. Not decided on cartridge, but possibly considering as on option.

Just got income tax refund back, so thinking about ordering one this week... Will probably be driving up to the store to getting the donor rifle next Friday, if they still have it by then. If I do make it happen, this build will 100% become my .280 AI build. No more procrastination. :cool:

I'm at a tough call between a 26" Proof Sendero barrel, and a 26" Bartlein Sendero... Other than the obvious weight differences, you can buy 2 Bartlein blanks for less than the cost of 1 PR blank... Decisions decisions...

Don't know if its true or not but I have heard that carbon fiber is kind of a insulator and keeps a lot of the heat inside the barrel. Anybody know if its true? It would be awesome to have a sporter weight rifle with a super ridged barrel for hunting!

I'm actually building a lightweight 338 RUM rifle with a Proof Research Barrel. For a 28" M24 contour it only weighs slightly more that 3lbs.

Yes, they are pricey, but does have a couple of features regarding the carbon process that appeal to me. I'm looking about $800 for barrel, which isn't much more than a custom stainless barrel fluted. I have thought about the 280 AI or a 7 saum.

Don't know if its true or not but I have heard that carbon fiber is kind of a insulator and keeps a lot of the heat inside the barrel. Anybody know if its true? It would be awesome to have a sporter weight rifle with a super ridged barrel for hunting!

I did some research a few years ago and you are right, carbon fiber is an insulator and can actually be slower to cool. Proof Research is suppose to have a process that dissipates the heat.

If you have not done it already call and talk to Dale at Evolved Ballistics in Texas, he's one of the largest Proof dealers in the country and has a huge inventory on-hand as in hundreds of barrels. Proof referred me directly to him for my new 7mm build I just ordered.

Robert

Robstar, I appreciate the info. What action and cartridge are you building on

Robstar, I appreciate the info. What action and cartridge are you building on

I'm having a Proof Terminus built in 7mm rem mag. I believe their actions are Defiant. Currently I'm shooting a custom Rifles Inc Lightweight Strata in 300 win mag based on a Rem 700 action and Benchmark barrel. It's super light 6.9 lbs with 2 lbs of that weight being the scope. It is really a great elk and sheep mountain rifle for hiking and backpacking but the recoil is too much for me to practice as much as I want to become proficient in LRH. What I'm trying to accomplish is adding two more pounds with the Terminus build, drop down a caliber to the 7mm and get back the kinetic energy at longer distances via reloading with bullets that have a much better BC. On paper it works out at least especially using the VLDs and potentially the new ELD-X. Plus I'm having the Proof barrel made where I can use a better brake or my Thunder Beast Suppressor. Altogether that should give me a better LRH rifle and round with less felt recoil. That's my plan anyway and I'm sticking to it. Dale at Evolved Ballistics is truly amazing to work with and knows the Proof barrels as good as the designer.

~Robert

Here's the first group out of a proof bbl I just put together. Rifle is a 6.5 SAUM. No copper after first round which floored me. I though Brux bbls broke in easy. I believe she's going to be a shooter. I shot 3 groups with 3 different load/seating depths. Smallest group was .337" and biggest was .468".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 121
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.