Proof Research barrels

Thanks for the info. Not sure I'd want to try a 338NM in such a light rifle! Must be using a brake?
I shot a unbraked 340 for over ten years.The rifle dressed is 8 3/4 #.***** cat for me ,my son when 15 took first game with rifle at 800+ speed goat.That rifles spent lot time in high country

Attachments

• WP 800 goat.jpg
    WP 800 goat.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 91
If I draw an Antelope tag this year, I may go ahead and use a heavy barreled 6.5x284. Might make it easier to fill the tag, other than having to carry it around. The two I've got so far were with a 30-06 M70.

I HAVE A 308 AND 300 RUM WITH AN ABS BARRELS ON THEM. ABS WAS THE PARENT COMPANY THAT WRAPPED BARRELS WITH CARBON FIBER. PROOF RESEARCHBOUGHT THEM OUT. ABS USED ROCKCREEK BARRELS BEFORE THEY WERE WRAPPED WITH CARBON FIBER. ABS MAY HAVE USED OTHER BARRELS BUT I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY.
MY SON HAS A 5.56 mm/223 ON AN M-4 THAT WAS ALSO DONE BY ABS WITH A ROCKCREEK BARREL. I HAVE HAD REALLY GOOD RESULTS WITH THESE BARRELS ON 308 AND 300 RUM. BOTH OF THESE GUNS ARE BUILT REMINGTON 700 ACTIONS. THEY ARE VERY ACCURATE. BEST GROUPS WITH THE 308 WAS A MEASURED .182 FOR A 3 SHOT GROUP AT 100YDS. THIS WAS DONE SHORTLY AFTER IT WAS BROKEN IN. I ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT WOULD SHOOT BETTER NOW AS MORE ROUNDS HAVE BEEN THROUGH IT SINCE . THE LOAD I USED COULD POSSIBLY BE IMPROVED UPON AS IT WAS DONE WITH A 150 GRAIN HORNADY SST AND RL-15. I WAS MAKING A HUNTING LOAD FOR DEER. THE 300 RUM IS SHOOTING THE 210 GRAIN BERGER VLD AT 3100 FPS WITH H-870. ITS 3 SHOT GROUP AT 100YDS MEASURES .340 FIRED AT 100YDS. BOTH GUNS WERE BUILT BY EXCELLENT GUNSMITHS, BRUCE DOW FOR THE .308 AND TODD BETTIN FOR THE 300 RUM.

MY SONS AND I HAVE THREE OTHER RIFLES WITH ROCKCREEK BARRELS.THESE BARRELS ARE NOT CARBON FIBER WRAPPED. A 6.5/284, ON AN FN ACTION, A 30-06 ACKELY IMPROVED ON A SAKO L61R ACTION AND AN 8MM MAUSER ON A GERMAN/CZECH MADE 98 ACTION. THE 8MM WAS DONE LAST MONTH SO IT IS STILL BEING BROKEN IN.
I DONT HAVE ANY DOPE ON THE 6.5 BUT IT WILL GO MOA WITH NOSLER 125 PARTITIONS, 160 WOODLEIGHS AND THE BLACK HILLS 142 SIERRA MATCH KING FACTORY LOADS.

THE SAKO 30-06 AI HAS FIRED A FIVE SHOT GROUP AT 200YDS THAT MEASURED UNDER AN INCH USING SIERRA 155 PALMA MATCH BULLETS AT CLOSE TO 3100 FPS +.

WE HAVE A KRIEGER BARREL ON ANOTHER 30-06 ACKLEY IMPROVED BUILT ON A REMINGTON 700 AND SHOOTS VERY WELL TOO, BUT WE HAVE NOT COMPARED IT WITH SAME LOADS TO THE SAKO/ROCKCREEK COMBINATION FOR ACCURACY. I AM SURE IT WOULD SHOOT AS WELL THOUGH.

I HAVE HAD MORE EXPERIENCE WITH ROCKCREEK THAN ANY OTHER CUSTOM BARREL SO MY OPINION IS A BIT BIASED, BUT I CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT ANY ROCKCREEK BARREL OR THE ABS WRAPPED ONES.
THE ADVANTAGE WITH WRAPPED BARRELS IS BOTH STIFFNESS AND WEIGHT REDUCTION.HUNTING UP HIGH IN MONTANA WITH 300 RUM IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT AND AFTER LUGGING ANY GUN AROUND FOR 8-10 HOURS THEY ALL GET HEAVY SO ANY WEIGHT SAVINGS ARE APPRECIATED.

You are right, they all get heavy in the high country, some more than others:) Age, table muscle, lack of oxygen and the ever present "gravity" of the situation don't help either.

I currently have 3 of their barrels. I like the look and light weight, but don't think I would go that route again unless they can brig the barrels down to $600 dollars. To me a barrel is like cars on a tire, they have a useful life then need replacement and I could buy 3 stainless for 1 proof. Now if the get them to $600 I am on board.

I agree with idea of the barrels being a piece of equipment with a service life that may/will have to be replaced one day. The cost of wrapped barrels can be a prohibitive factor for widespread use if you have more than few rifles.

Since I purchased the barrels from ABS the prices have climbed a bit more than I want to spend in the future. I have purchased 3 Rockcreek barrels for other guns and will continue to buy and test barrels for other firearms as they require them. I do like Rockcreek barrels though. They break in slowly but their accuracy is phenomenal.
Recently my son and I purchased two McGowen barrels, a 22 center fire barrel with a 1 in 8 twist for a long range 22-250 and a 257 barrel for a 257 Roberts AI. The 22-250 barrel is shooting less than MOA with 55-75 grain bullets and there have not been that many rounds down the barrel, probably less than 40. That one was is doing great. I will zero the 257 Roberts later on in the month so we will start that process then. I will report on those two guns as we put more rounds through them.
My next project will be a barrel for my 220 Weatherby Rocket. I have Douglas XX , 1 in 8 twist on it now and it is still shooting good. It is a chrome - moly, barrel and when it needs replacement I will opt for stainless steel, but I am not sure which way to go, cut rifled, buttoned or hammer forged. In the USA we are lucky to have quite a selection to choose from. I do know however it will not be a wrapped barrel as the caliber is overbore and hard on throats, so it will get used up much faster than my 308 or even the 300 RUM.
The 308 is shot frequently and the 300 RUM is just not fired that often, so both barrels may last longer but for different reasons.
The 308 is easier on barrels than some other calibers, but I always try to let them all cool between shots no matter what caliber they are to stretch out their life. I also make it a habit to use a bore brush often at the range to remove any fouling.
Barrels cost is a factor in choosing a barrel obviously, but that aside I don't like having to re-barrel as it is a time consuming process which takes the rifle out of service for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.