proof research barrels???

guncrzy

Hey guys....I'm going to be building my first full custom.....I'm curious what your opinion is on these barrels. The build is going to be chambered in 338 lapua imp. I have been looking at these barrels because of their weight. Barrel life? Accuracy? Anything else I need to know? Any first hand experience? Thanks

Sorry I cant give any first hand as of yet but I can tell you there is about a 12-14 week wait.... i just placed an order for a 30 cal and the sales rep I spoke with was Mike and you can reach him at 406-756-9290 ext 204 super nice guy and very knowledgeable ....

Proofs are nice, but I would also look at the original...Christensen Arms. Their wait time might be shorter, or they might have one in stock.

Again, I cant speak of first hand knowledge but my limited online research and speaking with a few local smiths seemed like for every one positive I seen/heard was countered by three negatives about Christensen Arms.... I will say they are about 1/3 cheaper than Proof..... but I guess I was looking for a bit more of a sure thing so I opted for Proof

Again, I cant speak of first hand knowledge but my limited online research and speaking with a few local smiths seemed like for every one positive I seen/heard was countered by three negatives about Christensen Arms.... I will say they are about 1/3 cheaper than Proof..... but I guess I was looking for a bit more of a sure thing so I opted for Proof

Believe half, or less of what you read on the internet...

Agree 100% with your statement about 50% but the law of average on 1/3 is 33% ....... And my point is...... my math comprehension sucks.... lol I'm not saying count them completely out but I haven't heard any negatives concerning Proof and after a few recommendations from the locals I felt it was good choice

On a side note regardless of Proof or Christensen the best part is its not 100% SS so when the wife uses it to put a shellacking on your butt with it after she see's the cost the ER bill wont be so bad!

Be skeptical about there promised wait times. A very close friend is almost at a year wait now for his proof barrel.

The CA rifles with carbon wrapped my friend has shoot very well.

I am tempted to use a CA barrel on my keeper 28-Nosler. The R700 based test bed sender special will be sold.

Proof research barrels are the only military approved carbon fiber barrels.

The few times I've contacted Christensen arms they were not very helpful and flat rude the second time. My dealings with Proof have all been positive. I can't wait to get my build going.

The few times I've contacted Christensen arms they were not very helpful and flat rude the second time. My dealings with Proof have all been positive. I can't wait to get my build going.

Yeah, the folks at CA have attitude enough. Might be worth the additional $200 and long wait for good customer service.

I helped a friend work up a load for his Proof Research Rifle. His model was the Terminus in 300 RUM with a muzzle brake. He wanted to shoot the 230 gr hybrid. It was one of the easiest workups I can remember. The rifle was a real beauty and shot accurately. A month or so later he took a monster moose in Alaska.

I was so impressed with the rifle I called the company to compliment them. I asked what reamer they used and they told me! Try that with other companies and see how far you get. Turns out my reamer is exactly the same, both made by PT&G.

Should I ever want one of their customs or a carbon fiber barrel I wouldn't hesitate to buy a product from this company .

From what I understand they are not military approved.Did not go threw the testing as advised by a consultantant.They are used by the military though as I understand it.That is what I heard last fall from a reliable source.Could have changed.Not sure but is ABS up and running which is parent company back east.Proof must be busy with own builds so barrel time is out. I live few miles away always about 20 rigs out front.I have 2 ABS ONE pre Proof and other Proof.Both shooters

Sp6x6,
you may be right. I read that in the Jan/feb issue of Rifleshooter magazine. Written by Layne Simpson. I went back and this is what it says " Proof Research owns the only carbon fiber barrel technology to be tested and approved by the U.S. military for use on precision sniper rifles"
He doesn't expand on this so its hard to say. He may have assumed it was approved because its in use. Either way theres no arguing the results folks like you are having with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.