Progression of ELR Community

THEIS

Hello,

With the "finally" progression of the ELR community and industry...

How long do you think it will be before we start seeing more ELR shooters diving off into some of the more advanced systems in regards to ballistic software, firing solution advancements, wind monitoring lasers, portable lidar systems, portable fixed head doppler systems, etc etc. ALL these "tools" are already available but not "mainstream" in terms of utilization yet :)

I personally see companies like TPI, ITL, Denel, Rheinmetal, etc becoming a few of the "go to" companies for ELR support equipment over Kestrel, Vectronix, FFS, etc

THEIS

I think you'll see shooters start splitting into classes like any other shooting sport, you'll have the entry or stock type class and you'll have the high roller unlimited class. Personally what I'm looking for from ELR is using enough tech to supplement shooting skills not replace as many skills as possible though I understand that side.

Hello,

As I mentioned in OP, I think companies such as TPI, Denel, ITL, Rheinmetal, etc will become more of the "go to" companies for ELR support equipment than some of the more commonly used support equipment manufacturers of today.

So expanding on that concept.....Here are a few things I predict we will be seeing.

Wind flags being replaced by TPI xWinds system. xWinds | Torrey Pines Logic, Inc.

Rangefinders and Ballistic programs being replaced with "all in 1 units" such as TPI Venom (This new ELR popularity will get them to finally finish the housing unit design). VENOM | Torrey Pines Logic, Inc.

Spotting scopes being replaced with Forward Observer Systems such as Rheinmetall FOI2000 http://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/...0111lp10tltargetl_foi2000forwardobservers.pdf

Chronographs being replaced with portable doppler radar systems such as the SL Family of fixed head doppler radar systems from Weibel. https://www.weibel.dk/solutions/radar/fixed-head-doppler-radar-systems/

We will see lots more industry usage of testing facilities such as Denel Overberg Test Range in South Africa, RUAG Test Facility at Armasuisse, Yuma Proving Grounds, Crane NSWC, etc etc

Granted..All the above would follow under the "Commercial" or "Unlimited" class per say to begin with but will slowly trickle down to "commonly" used.

THEIS

Hello,

Also I say we are going to see gyroscopic stabilization systems built into our weapon systems and/or tripod heads instead of the cumbersome external gyro units available.

I seen some today that are small enough to fit inside forend of rifle YET powerful enough to keep full auto M249B from rising up by utilizing a twin reverse spinning system.

THEIS

Hello,

Spent couple hours with IR&Ds engineers today in regards to boosting power and distance capabilities of their vampire solo laser range finder autonomous ballistic computer. Doubling their current operating distance is going to be a good start.

IRND

THEIS

Attachments

• 20170220_110158.jpg
    20170220_110158.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 40
my prediction is, 2017 IS the year for ELR development. There is already groups defining standards, and COF's to credit accuracy and reputability. There were 3 meetings at shot too.

Gear is in development. Some breathtaking. But so is the price and much is not available to civilians yet.

I am very excited. To say the least.

Jeff

I shot a thermal imaging scope set up at range day before shot at a steel elk target at 1188 meters. It was pretty neat to see hot bullet fragments fly away like fireworks.

Jeff

Hello,

Acoustical radar systems for external ballistic testing....does not operate on microphones for sound detection but rather operates on air pressure disruptions.

THEIS

Attachments

• 20170221_063655.jpg
    20170221_063655.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20170221_063648_001.jpg
    20170221_063648_001.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 22
Hello,

We all have experienced spotting for the heavy muzzle blast rifle shooter and understand that sometimes that blast is really what's keeps spotter from seeing POI, we'll with the advancement in the ELR world....it's time to start scaling down artillery intended support equipment by scaling up our ELR support equipment.
Calling firing solution and calling POI without getting any muzzle blast and/or noise flinch is rather easy with spotter able to setup equipment at their desired position by the shooter and them as spotter able to be 15 feet away. Remote operated forward observation systems with viewing panels like this one does the job great.

THEIS

Attachments

• 20170220_062700.jpg
    20170220_062700.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20170220_062645.jpg
    20170220_062645.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.