ELR use of MagnetoSpeed vs Lab Radar

Some of what we noticed is for the most part the Magneto was slightly faster in comparison to the Lab Radar, we contributed that to the Magneto is tracking the speed right at the end of the barrel as the bullet leaves the crown, brake or suppressor.

The Lab Radar is going to ping the bullet a little farther from the exit area of the rifle and speed being scrubbed already. Prior to raising the Lab up and over the rifle to eliminate any gasses, smoke or vibration disturbance a person at times would get questionable results and or no readings in which was frustrating with the time and money thrown away while trying to get valid feedback on test loads. Also we found it's very important to always set the rifle to Lab Radar reference position the same especially when doing load testing with the same rifle. In our case the bi-pod legs line up with the back legs on the quad pod stand.

So yes I will agree you can see a difference in speed between the two. Keeping the lab in clean air and on a solid platform will help in narrowing the band between the two. They both have their strong points but at the the end of the day these are two great pieces of equipment for the shooter to improve accuracy.

Good info on the Magneto mount as well, Cheers

Iamosoh
JH

Some of what we noticed is for the most part the Magneto was slightly faster in comparison to the Lab Radar, we contributed that to the Magneto is tracking the speed right at the end of the barrel as the bullet leaves the crown, brake or suppressor.

The Lab Radar is going to ping the bullet a little farther from the exit area of the rifle and speed being scrubbed already. Prior to raising the Lab up and over the rifle to eliminate any gasses, smoke or vibration disturbance a person at times would get questionable results and or no readings in which was frustrating with the time and money thrown away while trying to get valid feedback on test loads. Also we found it's very important to always set the rifle to Lab Radar reference position the same especially when doing load testing with the same rifle. In our case the bi-pod legs line up with the back legs on the quad pod stand.

So yes I will agree you can see a difference in speed between the two. Keeping the lab in clean air and on a solid platform will help in narrowing the band between the two. They both have their strong points but at the the end of the day these are two great pieces of equipment for the shooter to improve accuracy.

Good info on the Magneto mount as well, Cheers

Iamosoh
JH
Thanks for the info. This is what I assumed was happening so I stretched out the MS on the mount to the closest proximity of measurement to the Lab still receiving higher speeds on it than the Lab. I will concede that this probably makes a difference between the measurements of the two but 12-16fps seems a bit much. If the Lab was consistent with the same deviation it would prove that it is the difference in setting however, it doesn't seem like the spread of fps is consistent on my Lab as sometimes the deviations are 5-10 fps spreads.
Appreciate your feedback and advice.

From my understanding the LR uses a calculation to get the mv as it's actually getting its speeds from down range

Iirc there were a few guys that figured out the mathematical equation and they said that LR sometimes "brain farts" on its mv calculation

From my understanding the LR uses a calculation to get the mv as it's actually getting its speeds from down range

Iirc there were a few guys that figured out the mathematical equation and they said that LR sometimes "brain farts" on its mv calculation

I'm like you , I can remember reading all that not real long ago , maybe last summer . I "THINK " I remember him doing an update on the labradar and that problem went away . I could be wrong though .

EDIT :
I found it ,
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-partial-solution-inside.221826/#post-1653780

Last edited:
CC9ACC10-96C7-4CB8-979A-6B228A40BCFB.png
cohunt

It looks like mine tracks the speed at 1, 10, 20, 75 and 100 yards. Here I am pushing a 550 grain bullet at 3134 fps.

Just good tools being used.

Iamosoh
JH

View attachment 167024 cohunt

It looks like mine tracks the speed at 1, 10, 20, 75 and 100 yards. Here I am pushing a 550 grain bullet at 3134 fps.

Just good tools being used.

Iamosoh
JH
You can change what distance you want to track it at but the V0 is always calculated for the muzzle speed or 0feet
Actually, any speed that is before the bullet actually enters the radar path is calculated-- you can read this info in the manual

There are 2 trigger settings, the "doppler trigger" sets V0 at the distance that the bullet enters the radar beam path, the "internal trigger" uses a calculated number for any speeds where the bullet is not in the radar beam path yet

I'm like you , I can remember reading all that not real long ago , maybe last summer . I "THINK " I remember him doing an update on the labradar and that problem went away . I could be wrong though .

EDIT :
I found it ,
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-partial-solution-inside.221826/#post-1653780
Can't thank you enough for helping me prove my case to others I know that swear that the Lab is the King of all chronographs and the Magneto Speed isn't nearly as accurate. They wouldn't believe what I kept saying but now I have definitive evidence to back me. This is why I enjoy comadrie with you gentlemen so much. Thanks again!

Can't thank you enough for helping me prove my case to others I know that swear that the Lab is the King of all chronographs and the Magneto Speed isn't nearly as accurate. They wouldn't believe what I kept saying but now I have definitive evidence to back me. This is why I enjoy comadrie with you gentlemen so much. Thanks again!
I spent a day with a buddy comparing velocities with the LR and MS. We found very little difference at all, meaning less than a couple FPS per shot.

Gone Ballistic
Well said, a great group of folks and camaraderie discussing equipment and ideas.

In this thread both are superior very accurate systems used in the shooting community. I can still remember when the Magneto came out and I had a few fellow shooting friends upset that the numbers on the Magneto were not the same as what they believed in. At the end of the day it was realized that the numbers were true.

For the average rifle/barrel or anything suppressed the Magneto is fast for finding speeds in different loads, old ammo versus fresh and so on. The Lab has its advantages with the big guns that have 35 to 49" barrels and the big brakes, we've taken a strap out already in time trying to hang it on some big brakes. The one huge advantage was with the Magneto you hardly ever missed a shot, if you did the unit was coming loose and was moving around or finally the battery was getting low.

The Lab Radar caused a lot of frustration in the earlier days because of missed rounds being fired with the 375s and 416s normally you had a test sequence in powder charges and with these that was a chunk of change $$ there alone plus the time loading and scrambling to the range to shoot the test loads. We would try to position the Lab way out front of the rifle to keep it out of the blast, gasses and smoke and most of the time that worked, some not. I also ran it right beside my scope to keep it out of the blast and gasses that cause issues at times. Batteries and if you depended on using the AA batteries it eats them like candy and as soon as the level was getting a little low things got questionable. The battery charge pack I had for saving the day on a lot of stuff and supposedly it will jump start a car works great in place of the AA batteries and the option of the Quad Pod was huge for stabilizing the unit solid and getting it into clean air, that was a end to missed shots. We were lucky I guess, the speeds were close between the two units and we never questioned anything and so far both are still up and running ok and both are a huge plus in todays shooting and testing.

As mentioned Dave and a few others have made attachments now to get the Magneto off of the barrel allowing for good feedback on the speed and not affecting the harmonics as well as getting around the problem of having to attach it to the big brakes in which was challenging.

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH

Gone Ballistic
Well said, a great group of folks and camaraderie discussing equipment and ideas.

In this thread both are superior very accurate systems used in the shooting community. I can still remember when the Magneto came out and I had a few fellow shooting friends upset that the numbers on the Magneto were not the same as what they believed in. At the end of the day it was realized that the numbers were true.

For the average rifle/barrel or anything suppressed the Magneto is fast for finding speeds in different loads, old ammo versus fresh and so on. The Lab has its advantages with the big guns that have 35 to 49" barrels and the big brakes, we've taken a strap out already in time trying to hang it on some big brakes. The one huge advantage was with the Magneto you hardly ever missed a shot, if you did the unit was coming loose and was moving around or finally the battery was getting low.

The Lab Radar caused a lot of frustration in the earlier days because of missed rounds being fired with the 375s and 416s normally you had a test sequence in powder charges and with these that was a chunk of change $$ there alone plus the time loading and scrambling to the range to shoot the test loads. We would try to position the Lab way out front of the rifle to keep it out of the blast, gasses and smoke and most of the time that worked, some not. I also ran it right beside my scope to keep it out of the blast and gasses that cause issues at times. Batteries and if you depended on using the AA batteries it eats them like candy and as soon as the level was getting a little low things got questionable. The battery charge pack I had for saving the day on a lot of stuff and supposedly it will jump start a car works great in place of the AA batteries and the option of the Quad Pod was huge for stabilizing the unit solid and getting it into clean air, that was a end to missed shots. We were lucky I guess, the speeds were close between the two units and we never questioned anything and so far both are still up and running ok and both are a huge plus in todays shooting and testing.

As mentioned Dave and a few others have made attachments now to get the Magneto off of the barrel allowing for good feedback on the speed and not affecting the harmonics as well as getting around the problem of having to attach it to the big brakes in which was challenging.

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH
in the directions of the LR, it specifically states to use a "wall" between the rifle and LR on "large calibers"--I feel a lot of the issues with the LR come down to not reading or comprehending the directions (not pointing fingers here just sating an opinion)---BUT LR has made updates and not changed their instructions-- I just ran into this with trying to do the firmware update--my unit has 1.0.0 and 1.2.2, the latest update is 1.2.4--- my instructions ( I printed them from online a month ago) say to download the update to your SD card, then insert the SD card into the unit and turn it on, this will automatically update the firmware-- yet it did not work for me, so I contacted LR and they told me you now have to have the SD card in your LR unit and connect it to a computer via the USB cable-- download/save the firmware to the card that way then shut it all down and start it all back up again to update it.

They seem to be more than helpful when it comes to figuring things out and they get back to me within 48 hours via email every time

Very good info cohunt, and I know your not pointing fingers at anyone just stating some good facts and excellent info on the updates.

Its been 4 years since I had to read the manual, I've been really lucky with my Lab Radar, I set it up and it works. Now that I said that I will have a glitch soon.

The only part that doesn't fit into the program is the barrier that they speak of and you brought up, it is high lighted in the book thats good stuff. But with 200 + grains of powder burning and lots of force leaving the brake while set 9" away from the portable wall that is spaced in the middle of that 18" gap of the lab and muzzle brake things could be interesting and damaging to something - probably the wall and some :)

For folks running some 338s and then the 375 and 416s or larger, the ability to support the lab directly above the rifle in clean air - no turbulence, gasses or smoke to deal with is a better and more user friendly way to use and set up anywhere. Thats the main reason you see folks using a tripod with a hanger or the use of the Quad Pod setup on the Lab Radars and most of them are burning high powder capacity rounds and wanting something to have along with them at the range or events. Any of our smaller rifles running 40 to 100 grains of powder a portable wall should work fine.

I am really glad both systems work well and I have not had to use customer service, but as I joked, now something will after stating that.

This has been a very good discussion on two really good systems.

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH

Gone Ballistic

Cheers
Iamosoh
JH
Thanks for your reply and information. I purchased a carbon fiber pod for my Magneto Speed from Wiser Precision that is perfect, as you can adjust it to any length barrel without any harmonic distortion. My 2 mile shooter has a 30 inch barrel and now I can shoot groups and get MV without any problems. It has perfected the Magneto Speed to excellence.
Thanks again for your reply!

I spent a day with a buddy comparing velocities with the LR and MS. We found very little difference at all, meaning less than a couple FPS per shot.
This morning I spent a couple of hours getting an update uploaded on my Lab. Strange because last week it stated it had all current updates. So maybe now I will find it is close enough to my MS as you have stated yours is and I will feel better about my expenditure for the Lab.
Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts