Is There a Better Cartridge Than 308 WIN?

Should the question be "if I only had 1 rifle to survive the zombie apocalypse with"
The answers all might come back to 308. Very difficult to get the amount of performance you can get from a small amount of various, common powders. The shear amount of surplus (free) brass, the offerings in 30 cal bullets AND 5000 round barrel life out of anything else.
I swapped barrels to 708 for obviously reasons, but kept my 308 barrel for the above mentioned event and I still pickup and horde 308 brass 😊

Try the 123 HH vs the heaviest HH bullet in the same cartridge and then compare wind drift. I could replace the Edge in my example with a 33XC or Chey-Tac and beat the wind drift of your 30-378. In my example, the RUM and the Edge have the same case (if not the same caliber) but I used it because it was what I shot today pulling the trigger, not the keyboard.
The question revolved around the use of light bullets in a 300RUM vs heavy, high BC bullets. That is the ballistic comparison that should be made.

Gday knotfersail
Please I'm not wanting to question your authenticity as I'm curious on this & really don't want to start a SH . t fight as I will take you on your word
So here goes
Is this video actually shot @ that range with the 308 as I thought the entry & exit may have been a little more angled from that combo
Or is it just a camera angle or did the pill actually start to turn up on impact which gives the illusion it's a straight path 🤷‍♂️

Please once again this is just my curious side no offence intended
bullet melon GIF
My slo-mo cam catching the devastation of a 308win at 804 yards load with 215 hybrids 😎

Gday Calvin45
Very nice 👍
& then we can delve deeper again 😇
Both have their place. Light monometals going at warp speed within ordinary hunting distances have some merits that frangible high bc heavy pills do not. I've said it before and I'll say it again: they just hit different.

Over 400 yards I'll take the high bc.

I have loads worked up for 300 win mag with a 225 eld m at 2800 and a 120 Barnes tacTx at 4000. Both are very useful when understood and applied where they shine. There's nothing "why bother" about hypervelocity. It's not just about wind drift or point blank range, it's about terminal performance.

Interesting thread overall

go fast or go home as that just brings a bigger smile that lasts longer for me especially a 375rum pushing 4250 that smokes them 🤣

Bfd if you keep listening & watching the guys me included then you will get out of your armchair & into reality of what fun is really like 😜

Cheers

go fast or go home as that just brings a bigger smile that lasts longer for me especially a 375rum pushing 4250 that smokes them 🤣
I've been pondering the versatility of the 375 rum today coincidentally.

137 grain up to 400, maybe more….

It's the only rum I don't own. I think I must change that.

Should the question be "if I only had 1 rifle to survive the zombie apocalypse with"
The answers all might come back to 308. Very difficult to get the amount of performance you can get from a small amount of various, common powders. The shear amount of surplus (free) brass, the offerings in 30 cal bullets AND 5000 round barrel life out of anything else.
I swapped barrels to 708 for obviously reasons, but kept my 308 barrel for the above mentioned event and I still pickup and horde 308 brass 😊

And this to run them through. And 4 cans of M118 LRs on top of 10 pre-loaded mags should be plenty for perimeter defense.

20230209_150048.jpg
20230131_132424.jpg

Gday knotfersail
Please I'm not wanting to question your authenticity as I'm curious on this & really don't want to start a SH . t fight as I will take you on your word
So here goes
Is this video actually shot @ that range with the 308 as I thought the entry & exit may have been a little more angled from that combo
Or is it just a camera angle or did the pill actually start to turn up on impact which gives the illusion it's a straight path 🤷‍♂️

Please once again this is just my curious side no offence intended

Gday Calvin45
Very nice 👍
& then we can delve deeper again 😇

Interesting thread overall

Bfd if you keep listening & watching the guys me included then you will get out of your armchair & into reality of what fun is really like 😜

Cheers
Oh Fordy! You're a character! I'm making pretty deadly things:
E7BFC11B-9712-418F-94FA-63B31FA3FE97.jpeg

Unless you are off grid in the middle of nowhere it won't matter what you have. And even then, once my 1000 gal propane tank runs out, I am out of hot water. No hot shower = end of life as we know it.
There you go again, throwing more poop in the air.
I have always wanted a .358 Win. Hey, just took a shot at my 760 yard gong with my 28 N (195 Berger at 2959) missed my 3" aiming square by an inch with a 1.5 MOA wind call - love that thing! But it ain't a .358 Win...