Is There a Better Cartridge Than 308 WIN?

For sure; I struggle with high BC bullet terminal performance - hard to get both. The deer I shot this year at 150 yards with a 220 ELDX out of a 300 RUM made a huge hole going in (he was slightly quartering away) and no exit. Sure, he dropped like a sack of potatoes, but still...
It's really a waste shooting deer that close with a rum.

I'm a nut for ballistics and running these two scenarios, I'd have to respectfully point out just how close these two are. After plugging in all pertinent data into JBM ballistics This is what I found, pretty dang close, hardly a waste...

338 Edge vs 30_378.JPG

I'm a nut for ballistics and running these two scenarios, I'd have to respectfully point out just how close these two are. After plugging in all pertinent data into JBM ballistics This is what I found, pretty dang close, hardly a waste...

View attachment 437226

I get your point but that seems like an apples-to-oranges comparison. Why not compare different weight bullets in the same cartridge?

Because, this was the original statement to which I posted this;

"Shooting light bullets in a 300 RUM is a waste."

Apples to oranges it is, that was the point...
Try the 123 HH vs the heaviest HH bullet in the same cartridge and then compare wind drift. I could replace the Edge in my example with a 33XC or Chey-Tac and beat the wind drift of your 30-378. In my example, the RUM and the Edge have the same case (if not the same caliber) but I used it because it was what I shot today pulling the trigger, not the keyboard.