Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

• YES

Votes: 661 35.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1,226 65.0%

• Total voters
I shoot tactical matches a few times a year, where most targets are 1 to 2 MOA steel plates out to 1,200 yards. I find these to most closely approximate hunting; moving from position to position between targets, reticle ranging, steep angles, induced stress and improvised positions, some almost impossible. I have a local 600 yard precision/tactical rifle match coming up on the 28th. I usually run upper mid-pack, but, it's a tough pack so I still feel OK about it. I shoot F-Class occasionally, but find it too slow, too high a round count in too short a time, and I don't like to spend half the day pulling targets in the pits.

Some NRA Highpower stuff - mostly the prone competitions. Also a few tactical matches now and again. Lots of fun!

I work a lot of weekends anymore so I can't get to nearly as many matches as I'd like to shoot.

Does SASS count???
I have been going to SASS events for years, its not long range but it does use a long gun.

Long range practical/tactical at Sac Valley (200-1000 yards), and the occasional hunter's benchrest grudge match at the local range.

I would love to! Don't seem to be that well established around Helena though. would love to get into Palma. I figure if I can hit those targets at a grand with open sights from a sling everything else will seem like cake!

I've shot High Power for years. Started when we were shooting the M14 for service rifle. I liked shooting the M16 better when we made the switch. I only shoot conventional long range with a bolt rifle now. I got tired of cleaning gas guns. My current long range rifle is a .284 with a Barnard action, Bartlien 32" barrel, and Mastin stock, shooting the Berger VLD 180s.

Gordon

I would love to! Don't seem to be that well established around Helena though. would love to get into Palma. I figure if I can hit those targets at a grand with open sights from a sling everything else will seem like cake!

You have a 600 yd range in Billings and I think in Butte. It's been a long time since I've been there so they might even have 1K by now. I learned long time ago if you want to shoot High Power matches you must travel. When I lived in the Dakota's I made regular trips to Lander WY and Billings MT. The longest drive was always to Camp Perry but well worth the effort. If you've never been to Camp Perry you own it to yourself to go.

Gordon

I shoot F-Class, midrange and longrange, I am classified as Master in both, this year I'll move up to High Master. I am currently using a 6.5X47 Lapua for both. I also shoot Silhouette, rimfire and highpower, I also use a 6.5X47 Lapua for that. I have a 284 Shehane on the works for longrange F-Class, I'll use the "47" for midrange and fun matches.

-Erik

buffalobob, sometimes we're our worst critics. Something tells me your probably alot better at it than you may think.:)

Yes,
but my type of competition is somewhat different than most that visit here.

I shoot Black Powder Cartridge Rifle matches. Most rifles resemble the "buffalo rifles" of days gone by.

The cartridges are loaded with Goex or Swiss brand black powder and the bullet is cast from lead alloy.

The sights are "open" sights, no scopes in most of the matches, and the target distances vary form 200 yards to as far as 1 mile :D.

On windy days, it's a real challenge just to get on the targets gun) .

Just another way to have fun :) :) .

Tbone, How do you even see the targets at a mile...I would think the front sight would cover the target completely up? How big are the targets? I know very very little about this type of shooting.

Last edited:

Recent Posts