338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

Ward,

In your article you give load data that you hit the precision node at 82,5 and 84,2 grs of Re 22.

Re 22 is the Bofors produced powder with manufacturers name RP 15 sold under the varous generic names Norma MRP, Re 22, Rhino 22, Rws 905 and so on.

On Norma's swedish website they list loads of 75-80 grs of Norma MRP powder for velocities of 24-2600f/s with a 300 MK bullet.

In you testing did you use any kind of pressure testing equpment like a pressure trace or similar or do you know of any tests performed on the US side since there is quite a bit of difference of the loads that are published from Norma and you. Do you know pressure testing of the loads containing 84 grs of Re 22 behind the 300 MK?

I'm about to build one on a Stiller Tac 338 to make sure the added trust of a .580 case head will not kill a regular 700 LA next to my face. Since we have always had great success with Hart barrels I thought to use one this time as well, and put it all in a Manners T-4A stock. Muzzle will wear one of our suppressors and top it all with a Hensoldt 4-16FF should make it a fairly hard hitting dual purpose LR/LRH gun.

Any one that can shed some light on the pressure of the loads in the 338 Norma Mag in the review.

I know Re 22 is quite a bit temperature sensitive and may give much lower pressures under cold conditions. Just thought the loads on www.norma.cc and in the article a bit far off one another.

Since I am more than a little interested in building one some pressure data or informastion regarding pressure would be highly appreciated.

Norma's data is fairly far behind both what is possible with 338 Lapua and Edge - and to give away 200f/s by going for the smaller case - maybe not.

Last edited:
Go to snipers hide and look up 338 Norma.Miles of info,and there are guys there really pushing it.Several guys have them in my area,built buy Proof and the stock division manager shoots one. He was using up to 92 gr. Retumbo and 300 smk and cci250,uses 300 otm also. They shot 3-4 speed goats last season out to 1300+.I get 2725-50, out of 87,5 Retumbo,300 otm,fed 215m.Ihave spread my shooting out on brass,barrel 26'', but on 6 reload on fist box.

What the heck are all of you guys using to trim your 338 Norma cases. I currently have a rcbs trimmer but can't find a shell holder or any trimmer that has one for that matter.

What the heck are all of you guys using to trim your 338 Norma cases. I currently have a rcbs trimmer but can't find a shell holder or any trimmer that has one for that matter.

If I understand your question, you might pick up a .416 Rigby or .338 Lapua RCBS shell holder, the parent case is the Rigby.

I've never heard that, but that doesn't mean it isn't thicker.
Here's all I find on the question, in this they list the Rim Diameter as "unknown" for the .338 NM and leave out the "thickness".. as well???? Yet they say the parent case is the .416 Rigby
Perhaps Ward might know.

.338 Norma Magnum cartridge. Type Rifle Place of origin
22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
Switzerland
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States Production history Designer Jimmy Sloan, Norma Manufacturer Norma Produced 2009 Specifications Parent case .416 Rigby Case type Rimmed, bottleneck Bullet diameter 8.59 mm (0.338 in) Neck diameter unknown Shoulder diameter unknown Base diameter 14.87 mm (0.585 in) Rim diameter unknown Case length 63.50 mm (2.500 in) Overall length 91.44 mm (3.600 in) Case capacity 6.95 cm³ (107 gr H2O) Rifling twist 236 mm (1 in 9.3 in) Primer type Large rifle magnum Maximum pressure unknown

.338 Lapua Magnum cartridge Type Rifle Place of origin
22px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland Service history Used by Multiple official and civil users Wars Afghanistan War, Iraq War Production history Designer Lapua Designed 1989 Produced 1989–present Specifications Parent case .416 Rigby, .338/416 Case type Rimless, bottleneck Bullet diameter 8.58 mm (0.338 in) Neck diameter 9.46 mm (0.372 in) Shoulder diameter 13.82 mm (0.544 in) Base diameter 14.91 mm (0.587 in) Rim diameter 14.93 mm (0.588 in) Rim thickness 1.52 mm (0.060 in) Case length 69.20 mm (2.724 in) Overall length 93.50 mm (3.681 in) Case capacity 7.40 cm³ (114 gr H2O) Rifling twist 254 mm (1-10") Primer type Large rifle magnum Maximum pressure 420.00 MPa (60,916 psi)

RCBS shows shell holder #37 to fit the 416 rigby and the 338 Lapua w/Norma brass and it is close but does not quite fit. There is another shell holder for 338 Lapua and 45-70 it is #14 but I'm not willing to pay 8 bucks to find out. Surely someone knows the correct shell holder.

Oh hell! thanks man I've been going crazyand I have come up with #48 several times but it always showed the other type. Thanks again

My next rifle will be a 338 Norma. Might do it on a savage action. Might do it on a stiller. Depends on my work bonus and uncle sam. I know it will wear a nightforce and a McCree stock or maybe XLR industries. Any one using AI type mags with this?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts