Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

The Barrett Firearms Company manufactures solid, accurate, reliable and exceptionally lethal weapon systems. I have yet to shoot their new bolt gun "98 BRAVO chambered in .338 Lapua," however if any of their other weapons are an indication of what it is like, certainly it will be top drawer.

After spending a little time shooting both the .338 Lapua and the .338 Norma, I must admit that the .338 Norma has grabbed my attention, and it is for this reason that I am in the process of cutting chamber for it. Both cartridges are performers, however the .338 Norma was designed and built around the 300 grain SMK. As a result, the 300 grain SMK works Very, Very well fired from the Norma platform.

Several young men that took a class from me last year brought 300 RUM's, and they shot exceptionally well. I cannot remember the load or bullet that they utilized, however it did make allot of velocity and did shoot exceptionally well...

Still, unless I change my mind, I will probably hunt Elk next year with my 6.5 X 284, and I will not hesitate to take shots at 1000 yards with it. I am utilizing the Berger 140 grain VLD's that move at 2950 fps and shoot as accurately as anything out there if not better.

I just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i usegun)

Tactical? What is the expected barrel life of the 300 win? How many rounds does your "sniper" fire on a weekly/monthly basis? How many field RTE quality gunsmiths are available in the given combat zone? I'm a big fan of a 300 win, but believe the barrel life is a limiting factor for a straight issue combat rifle, along with one more NSN match grade ammo to be placed into the supply chain. Our military sniper rifles for the most part need to be standardized. SOCOM can and do have special toys for special situations, but as a good rule of thumb, stick to what works, and what has been trained for/ and trained on.

Hey im new to the whole forums thing so forgive me if i do things wrong but i just graduated and im looking to get into the long range shooting.

That was a good article. I too am a newly retired/disabled veteran and prefer a tactical rifle. Not because I'll be hunting people in an urban environment with it. But, because that is what I prefer to shoot. And, many of the recent designs are upping the ante for hunting rifles. Just because muskets were the original "rifle", doesn't mean we have to continue to use modern rifles that are modeled after them .... LOL. Many of the tactical rifles have pronounced features that tranfer very effectively into hunting curcumstances and make a much more user friendly/purpose built machine.

Don't get me wrong, I have an old hand me down 700 from the 70's with the wood stock and no floor plate and I really love that rifle. But, my modern .308 build with a B&C Tactical Medalist, heavy barrel and 50 mm Vortex Viper sitting on top ..... hunts just as well (actually better).

Nice artical as you say they are nice ..I have a Rem 7mm Mag 700 BDL for over 32 years with a Scopechief7 Bushnell BDC for over 40 years and have done some long range shots just fine with mine .. but if i was a younger hunter i would get a 338 with a good scope ,any of three... Imho

i would carry about 12 lbsgun) max hunting.. but i live in Grizz/ Sheep and Goat country

David:)

:)First let me say I enjoyed your article!

Greetings gentlemen, I'm an older Vietnam era vet that qualified "expert" while in the Army with several weapons. While I have always been somewhat of an Elmer Keith big bore heavy caliber throwback, I find myself as I age not so gracefully that my body simply will not accommodate the abuse I used to put it through. I hunted the blowdown timber of western Wyoming with a custom .375 H&H and the plains of Wyoming with a custom .30-06. Both were heavier than the average rifle 9 to 11 pounds. I like the heavier barrels not only for their accuracy but because they help steady for a shot after a hard run to the top of a ridge. Try that with one of those ultra-light easy carry rifles and one will soon discover the downside! I'm a big guy 6' 5" and yes I played football as well as basketball along with most other school sports. I stayed active all through my life until my exposure to toxic chemicals and age did their damage to me.

A tactical rifle can be a perfect rifle for hunting depending upon the area hunted, the game and the hunting style of the hunter. A hunting rifle is in the eye of the beholder. Some like to stalk their game down over long distances while others do extensive research to set an ambush for the animal. It all depends on the animal, the environment it is found in and the method the hunter prefers. There is no perfect rifle for all situations. A rifle best for hunting in the swamps I grew up around in southern Arkansas will not be the best for hunting above timberline in Wyoming or the Deserts of Arizona.

Right now due to my age, physical status, as well as extreme financial situation I am trying to put together the seeming imposible do it all rifle. It will most likely be .308 or 7MM. I find myself in the High Desert of Southern California to be near my wife's family but I know not a soul. I want to hunt coyotes, desert Mule Deer, and do some fishing but so far have met no one with like interests.

I like the heavier barrels not only for their accuracy but because they help steady for a shot after a hard run to the top of a ridge. Try that with one of those ultra-light easy carry rifles and one will soon discover the downside!

Actually I stop and let my heart and wind slow down before I top out. I just assume there's game over the top of every ridge.

Actually I stop and let my heart and wind slow down before I top out. I just assume there's game over the top of every ridge.

I was referring to trying to catch up to get a shot at an animal you are pursuing before your intended target makes it to the concealment of timberline on the opposite side of the slope when hunting the high country above timberline. There is no time to rest or calm before preparing the shot sometimes. I used to hunt the Continental Divide area east of Jackson Hole, some very rugged country. Making such a shot happen could be the difference between going home with your quarry or empty handed. Big mule deer and elk don't get big by making very many mistakes. You have to do everything you can not to let them know you are anywhere in the area but once they top out you want to get to a good cover position from which you can observe or take the shot if it presents.

:)

Great thread. I too am new to long range hunting but not so new to long range shooting. I'm retired Army and in the early days of my career attended the aerial gunnery school where we shot everything from the tried and true M60 to the mini-gun; however, my personal favorite was the M14 platform that we used for more personal and precise scenarios that would give us a little more moving around room. I now find myself shooting the 308 usually in a Savage or Ruger American (don't laugh I'm putting kids through colledge and have a limited budget) but my long range go to platform is an old Interarms Mark X with a McGowen barrel chambered for the 300 H&H how's that for old school? I figure if the cartridge won the Whimbleton Cup for Ben Comfort in 1935 it will do for now until funds improve. Funny thing about the H&H it doesn't kick nearly as much as my shooting buddie's 300WM and his rifle out weighs mine by two pounds. We shoot 180s out of both rifle and mine run about on average 100 - 75 fps slower but the difference in recoil is quite noticeable can anyone explain this?

Dunndee , don't under estimate a 308. I have had one since 1965, and Have the Savage rifle. Fancy rifles I cannot afford easily either.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.